🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 57.5 — Minisode 57.5

Next week’s movie is quite a treat as we dive into the world of Uwe Boll with In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale which can be seen in its entirety on YouTube! Paul reads some of the many Corrections & Omissions for From Justin To Kelly, tells us about his new comic book Aliens Vs. Parker, and asks fans of the show for help with a new HDTGM project.

Hello all,

Per the request made at the end of the most recent mini-episode, I would like to add my name for consideration for the project to create a system to track the bad movie requests. That's what I do (well, I do a number of things, but on paper I largely develop custom web software1). As for my bona fides, you can see some of my work on my personal website, http://haydenmccabe.com or http://jaysongallaway.com (I'm particularly proud of the comment system on that site). Client reviews of my work and verification of my skills (PHP and MySQL would be applicable to this particular project) can be seen here: https://www.elance.com/s/edit/haydenmccabe/

All I would ask is that if we need a graphic designer to pretty it up, you make a request of the brilliant artists who are fans of this show to help out, and that you help me out with a mention of my upcoming iPad game when it launches.

Secondly, I would recommend, in the strongest possible way, the film "Time Changer," an evangelical Christian Sci-Fi time travel adventure. A nineteenth century seminary school lecturer is sent into the dystopian future that will come about if secularism becomes mainstream, and of course, ends up in our world. I genuinely had trouble determining if certain parts were supposed to be humorous, or just a product of the sort of film where "damn" is too salty of language. As of this writing, it appears to be available online here: http://www.cross.tv/36308 with a trailer available here:

Does it have D-list star power? How about Gavin MacLeod, Hal Linden, Paul Rodriguez, and the Jump-To-Conclusions mat guy from Office Space. Does it alternate between bad sci-fi and deep confessions of faith? Of course it does. Is it strongly of the opinion that scientists should probably go and fuck right off? Naturally, and I believe that may be a first for a time travel movie.

Great show. I'm a huge fan and I recommend it to my friends all the time. Thank you for it.

1If you needed coats checked, or to lease an apartment in this building I manage, I would help you out there as well.

• Like 1

YES, ever since this movie was discussed on The Best Show on WFMU a few months ago I was really hoping it would get the How Did This Get Maid treatment. Can't wait to hear it.

Haven't seen this but plan on watching on youtube before episode airs. I just went to the imdb page to take a look and not only did they make a sequel to this but there is a third one coming out this year, all directed by Uwe Boll!

I'm definitely not the one to do it, but I really hope someone can do the website/movie tally idea.

For a really good bad movie, I think a Face/off would be perfect for you guys. Demolition Man has kind of the same feel as well. And for something a little different, maybe 10,000 B.C., The Happening, or 2012. And for something completely different I was recently turned on to "Blow Dry" which is on Netflix, although you might find it to be a bit boring. The Lawnmower Man was pretty crazy as well. The Last Action Hero has plenty of what the fuck moments too. All of those movies are so bad they're good, in my opinion(sorry for not abbreviating that).

Wow. I thought I knew what a good bad movie was but holy fucking shit, this movie takes it to a whole other level. I could tell from the beginning this was going to be great, but as soon as I saw the river crossing scene I knew this was special.

Great pick. Can't wait to hear you guys, especially Jason, rip this movie and director apart.

Edited by BagguhMcGuirk

"Bully" by Larry Clark is a great example of a director who thinks he's a lot better than he really is. It's also a fun watch, especailly because it's based on a true story.

I Am Sam!! Not only is the story hilariously awful, but the director is even worse than the fucker who directed Catwoman. It feels like you're watching a music video, a music video with a very retarded lead singer(insert Scott Stapp joke).

Edited by BagguhMcGuirk

It would be fairly simple to build a form that pushed the movie titles to a mysql table. Use the existing titles as select box options with an "other" where they can type in their own. Use JQuery to show/hide a text input box. You'll need 2 tables, one of the titles labels & id's and another for the votes. That way you can run live stats on each.

The simpler solution would be to just install a polling plug-in for WordPress and be done in 15 minutes but that's a weenie way out. Write your own PHP. It'll put hair on your chest. Then shave it off because you're not Carmine Ragoosa.

• Like 1

Supposedly filmmaking expenses are 100-percent deductible in Germany, and there are also other loopholes that allow people to delay paying taxes if they make movies. I don't think Boll's movies need to make money, in general, to be profitable for him.

Explains a lot... I have tried to enjoy his movies as "bad cinema", but they are too inept to even succeed that way (and not quite inept enough for a Tommy Wiseau-esque trainwreck).

Hell, you could just do a simple Google doc to keep track of votes. Don't need anything especially fancy for that.

RE: Uwe Boll, I have often wondered how he gets otherwise decent actors to work in his stuff. Surely they know his history and what they're in for?

Oh God, I always hoped they WOULDN'T do an Uwe Boll movie. His movies are just TOO bad to enjoy in a bad way. I tried to watch this on Netflix a month or so ago, and I had to cut out at that first battle scene.

By the way, I believe this is the second videogame-based movie that HDTGM has done now.

If you understand german, you should check out the audio-commentary Uwe Boll does on his movies. Pretty entertaining (he takes calls on his cell, rants on about actors, leaves to walk his dogs) and far more better than the movies.

RE: Uwe Boll, I have often wondered how he gets otherwise decent actors to work in his stuff. Surely they know his history and what they're in for?

aside from ben kingsley and dave foley i don't know that he is exactly pulling in talent above his level. christian slater, tara reid, and michael madsen were probably a lot more discerning and expensive in the 90s.

I was thinking of Ray Liotta, Claire Forlani, JK Simmons, etc. They may not be A-listers but they are certainly not of the Tara Reid/Clint Howard variety.

For a system to track movie requests, it's actually really simple to do with a Google account.

http://docs.google.com/forms

Create a new form, write whatever question you want, and for question type change it to "Text" to let people write in their selections.

Boom. Google even lets you embed the form on a webpage so you can set it up right on this site.

And you can set it so the results get sent to a spreadsheet, which you can then sort in alphabetical order to see which ones show up the most.

You can also set up different forms with ready-made responses, so if you want people to vote on a pre-selected list of movies, you can do that too.

In The Name of The King: A Dungeon Siege Tale and its sequel, improbably starring Dolph Lundgren as a time traveler, can also both be found on Netflix Instant.

I'm absolutely delighted to hear that this is the choice for next weeks show. If I could retitle this movie, I would call it "Inexplicable Ninjas," because that's my favorite part.

• Like 1

Holy shit for some reason I didn't even think to see if it was on Netflix. The first one was so great I think I'll make it a double feature tonight. By the way, for me the best part was that final fight, but the ninjas were pretty fucking great too. Thanks for the heads up.

I just finished watching the sequel. It's amazing. Present day Dolph in midevil times is the best thing ever.

Whoever figures out the movie voting thing please let me know so I can help. I've been meticulously managing the movie suggestion section for a year now and I feel very devoted to it and all the suggestions and discussions there, I'd really hate for them to all suddenly count for nothing.

Just a thought.

I think the "survey monkey" thing is good but I think it'd be better if it was a list of the 10-20, instead of a random 100, most popular movies from the last couple of years that was then reduced to the top 5 which we then chose a winner from. Seeing as how movies can quickly get buried in the forum I think since Shannon has been the mod for the past year it would make sense for her to pick the list, also she could probably find out which movies Paul and company don't want to touch for whatever reasons, that way we're not wasting our time with movies they'll never do.

I do think something basic like the survey monkey is perfect for this, just as long you're only able to vote once.

I just checked and you are able to vote more than once from the same isp so that would need to get fixed, I'm sure plenty of people would take advantage of that, which is pretty lame. It's like people who cheat to win video games, I just don't get the point of it.

Edited by BagguhMcGuirk

Shannon, if you have the full list, I trust you to run with this -- it seems like Survey monkey is the best or do you think the Google Doc is the way to go...All I think is need is a way to add new titles to the list and not have people over run the voting process. I'm in your hands people. You set it up. I'll announce it and draw everyone to it

Yeah just as long as they make it so it's only one vote per isp. Looking forward to this, should be fun.

It's survey monkey, you can set it up however you want! If you want to allow one vote per IP I'm not sure if the system will allow people to go back and vote again once new titles are added, though. If you want to start over fresh it's not hard to do at all.