🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 109 — Tyler Perry Movies

Jeremy McBryde (star/co-creator of the “That Guy” series on the Black & Sexy TV YouTube channel) joins Andrew Ti to give us his opinions on Tyler Perry movies. Everyone be sure to call us at (323) 389-RACE to ask us about anything you might think is racist.

The only thing that is racist about Tyler Perry movies is that some white comedians use it as an entry point into the "black people are like THIS" bits and some white people use Tyler Perry movies to judge all black art that has ever been created, which is kind frustrating. I kinda agree with Jeremy that they aren't the best movies in the world, but there are not alot of black filmmakers at this time. Its like Hollywood can only allow one, and he took the Antoine Fuqua's spot.

• Like 1

I agree with Jeremy. Those movies just aren't positive content. Most of the characters are one dimensional and re-enforce ridiculous stereotypes until the last fifteen minutes when Perry attempts to insert some "powerful" message about community, family, religion, etc.

But like Shariq said, there just aren't very many black filmmakers around. Several of my friends don't like Tyler Perry but they still see his movies because they want to support a studio that gives black actors a shot. Even in terrible roles.

But like Shariq said, there just aren't very many black filmmakers around. Several of my friends don't like Tyler Perry but they still see his movies because they want to support a studio that gives black actors a shot. Even in terrible roles.

We definitely need more black filmmakers. Perry's stuff may not be outright racist, but it is sexist. And homophobic. It would be nice if we had a greater number of successful black filmmakers out there so that people wouldn't feel compelled to support Perry when even they admit he's awful. Like Jeremy said, 'That shit is depressing'.

It seems like back in the 90s there was a much bigger black presence in entertainment, at least on TV. We had Martin, Living Single, In Living Color, Roc, etc. And they were all popular network shows. It's like in the 2000s we stepped backward for some reason.

It certainly isn't because of a lack of talented black performers. My hope is that they are making their own way like Jeremy.

Big ups to integrity.

• Like 1

It certainly isn't because of a lack of talented black performers. My hope is that they are making their own way like Jeremy.

Big ups to integrity.

Oh definitely not a lack of talent. Institutional racism, no doubts in my mind. I just hope that changes so that people don't feel compelled to prop up crappy creators like Tyler Perry.

This episode isn't available through itunes for some reason.

Hmmmm. Ya its also not on the home page like usually are either. Tyler Perry is a powerful man.

This episode isn't available through itunes for some reason.
Hmmmm. Ya its also not on the home page like usually are either. Tyler Perry is a powerful man.

It's showing up on both the home page and in iTunes for me. May be a caching issue that will resolve itself on your end shortly. In the meantime, here's the direct URL:

http://traffic.libsyn.com/yoisthisracist/YOR_109_20130312_McBryde_EDIT_01.mp3

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this