🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 21 — Oy Vey

Sean and Hayes show their SXSW love by recalling the shows they caught at the festival, Hayes’ prediction comes true as they discuss the Bachelor finale, and the guys weigh the strengths that Bar Rescue has over Kitchen Nightmares. Then their buddy Ben Rodgers wakes up to give the guys a call and talk about some insider information he has on The Amazing Race. Finally, GENEVIEVE PEARSON & VIRGIL GRIFFITH of King of The Nerds show up to talk about their overall experience on the show, their thoughts on the finale, and what would make season 2 of King Of The Nerds better.

This literally is the best podcast, I'd listen to it everyday. Though I really don't care for the phone calls, just cause it takes away from Hayes and Sean. Except for Han Luke Picard, he's awesome

• Like 2

Another live, another missed opportunity. I swear I will get through these jammed phone lines eventually! Loved the nerds, loved the reality, loved the cat fight between the callers. I hope to one day be a part of that world!

Loved King of the Nerds. Definitely agree with Sean Hayes(it is just one guy called Sean Hayes, right) that the strongest part of the show was it's characters. I'm slightly worried if they can find another Virgil or a Danielle for the next season. I mean they can probably find a Danielle but Virgil and Genevieve seem like quite a rare type of a person.

The challenges they played were okay to good mostly. Definitely a lot of room for improvement.

Virgil wanted some thoughts on how to make the show better so here are mine:

The way the teams were drawn was mathematically uneven. With them going turn by turn, out of each picked pair, the first team always gets the perceived stronger competitor. A better way to do it is that the first captain picks one player, then the second picks two, then the first picks two and each picks two until the last player goes to the second team. Another way to do it, and the nerdier fantasy sports leagues use it, is to do an auction. That way each captain can set their own valuation to players and there are more different strategies to use. I'm not sure how well a human auction would come off on TV but there's probably a nerdy way to dress it up.

Captains shouldn't be drawn randomly. I mean why would they? Let the players do a secret vote after the first meet and greet.

The thing where the last unpicked player could pick a winner and join the other team forcing two members of their team to the nerd off shouldn't necessarily be removed from the game just because for the season 2 the players would know it. It would add another layer of strategy to the game.

I thought generally the creative games were very well done but Virgil was right about the judging. The judges should have been given strict categories to rate numerically. Say in the song competition each of them gives a 1 to 5 or 10 score for the lyrics, choreography and vocals. Or maybe an expert judge from each field just judges their own field. So the judges for that competition would have been that nerd rapper guy, half of Garfunkel and Oates and a dance person.

Most of the quiz-type challenges were just too short. 5 questions or whatever is too small of a sample size for trivia. There is surely a way to give them more questions without taking too much time and being boring for the viewers.

The hand-eye coordination challenges like the remote controlled car soccer and the flying thing were good and well done. Except that one thing where they rolled some balls down a hill to hit garden gnomes or something. That was silly and if I remember correctly that whole challenge(i think it was tied to a trivia challenge) had a whacked out scoring system.

Indoor plumbing could be a good addition to the show. Though maybe I shouldn't hold the show to 19th century standards.

For the chess challenge, maybe you should have graphical board on the screen to show the viewers the actual game.

Having the first season cast to do some consulting will probably help the show massively. Some good brains in there.

The debate was great and there are a million 'nerdy' topics to choose from for the next season. Like I said above the judging should be better structured. Say they'd be judged on performance and argument strength. So Celeste would have gotten a high score on the arguments and a low score on the performance and not necessarily lost the challenge for her team. Also, Kevin Smith was awful.

The dropping the ball on glass one was great.

The segway labyrinth seemed to be mostly based on luck. Maybe each competitor could have been given a map of the labyrinth just before the competition to study a minute(or whatever the right time would be for them to nearly figure it out.)

Ending it all on a vote is just horrible. At least, again, give some specific things to vote on. The winner just laid low the whole season and at the end said she's less shy now. I'd get it if she grew into a world-class orator. But Celeste is no Hitler.

Some ideas for new games:

Stand up comedy! The teams would write, say, 5 minutes of material and one of them would perform it. They'd be judged on performance, humour and nerdiness. Get Chris Hardwick and two other LA based nerd orientated comics to judge.

Putting a PC together! Give each team a pile of hardware and whoever, say, goes online to a specific website first wins. There could be bunch of useless hardware like a sound card and whatever there to add an element of recognising what's needed and what's not. And they could be given a bunch of CDs of different operating systems so they'd have to know/guess which one takes the least time to install.

A google race! Sit each player behind a computer and ask them a question they have to google an answer to. Harder stuff that's just on wikipedia. This one is good because the viewer at home can play along.

That's all I got for now. That's actually depressingly long for something no one will read.

• Like 7

This literally is the best podcast, I'd listen to it everyday. Though I really don't care for the phone calls, just cause it takes away from Hayes and Sean. Except for Han Luke Picard, he's awesome

Please, call me Captain Han Luke Picard. I want to publicly apologize to @MelGotServed. While she did indeed get served by a standing Starfleet Captain, it may have been against Starfleet Regulations to serve with such vicious intent. Next time these phasers will be set for stun.

Live long and Prosper (even Mel's Parents) Everyone

• Like 1

Live long and Prosper (even Mel's Parents) Everyone

That's really big of you, Han. The world could really use more guys like you.

• Like 1

As someone who grew up with Batman: The Animated Series, I don't know how Hayes and Sean pretended to have liked it when they were kids with such an accurate reference. Those guys are sarcasm wizards.

No need to give me credit for the 8 to 10 hours spent watching a show about waitresses and bar tenders. In my opinion that was just prudent decision making on your parts. I can’t wait to hear what will be brought up in the discussion. Will you mention how often Andy Cohen uses the term “Chunky sweater”? Or maybe talk about how Stassie’s method for arguing is just saying really awful things and then, when she realizes she’s losing, start crying? I guess we’ll see.

Oh, if Stassie is your guest, can you ask her if she had to audition to get that waitressing job? She’s been on two other reality shows and I’ve always wondered how that worked. Same with Jonna on RehabX. Like does their manager come to them and say “I’ve got a gig where you’ll be on tv but… you also have to work full time at this shitty job.” And they’re so desperate for the attention that at the sound of “you’ll be on tv” their hand tenses into the shape of it holding a pen and just starts twitching in the way they would sign a contract.

This episode would have been great for the Reality SHOW show SHOW. You could talk about how Sean’s voice became noticeably strained after he brought up Adam Busch, but was able to choke back mentioning how he had a 33% chance of getting his role on Men at Work and could have been the one judging that challenge. Also worth noting was how after Genevieve said Han Luke Picard was offensive you could tell the next thing – no matter what it was – that Genevieve said, he would call offensive. And he did.

This is long, but I just wanted to thank you guys for the hours I’m not getting back by getting me into the two shows I’m now watching, but previously had zero interest in: Survivor and The Amazing Race. Hopefully CBS can send you over gift basket of some sort to show their appreciation for the increased viewership. Maybe a Gota buff or ornamental Express Pass or something.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this