🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 106 — Military

The crew is back in the hatch! They talk about Tig’s blossoming relationship with her personal trainer and they create a scoreboard for jokes. Then they welcome Andrew Shaver, a US Army Sergeant, to talk about the military and war. He shares stories about dealing with buffoonery in the ranks, camaraderie, and the difficulties in re-acclimating to civilian life. They also discuss military food, jargon, and the need for more PTSD research. If you’d like to learn more about helping returning soldiers you can visit here. Listen up Blastronauts!

As someone who was always firmly for the war but against the troops I don't expect to like this guy very much, but I'll listen anyway.

Because it's my duty.

• Like 2

No matter your stance on war or the military in general, Andrew was a really great guest. Super quick-witted, smart, and fun to listen to.

• Like 2

Does anyone remember which movie he suggested to watch that best portrays active duty?

You guys are making me blush! Carp, I was saying that the most realistic depiction of combat I've seen is in Black Hawk Down. They were in a much more dire situation than I ever found myself in at any one time. But the action, the exhaustion, the nerves, the boredom, the gore it's all pretty realistically done. I often hear my friends quoting the end of that movie where one of the characters explains that his reason for doing it all was not the politics or the adreneline rush but the man fighting next to you. I can agree with that. BTW, check out my twitter feed @andyshaver for a couple behind the scenes pics I got.

• Like 3

I could have easily listened to another hour on this topic and with this guest. Please have him back at some point.

• Like 2

Does anyone remember which movie he suggested to watch that best portrays active duty?

I think it was Black Hawk Down. I could be wrong.

Edited: Oops. Didn't realize he had already replied to you.

Andy, I'm glad they had you in the hatch. You were great. My mother is active duty/army reserves. She just became a Sgt. about a year ago. I always tease her about all of the ridiculous acronyms you all have. I can't keep up with it all.

• Like 1

I think it was Black Hawk Down. I could be wrong.

Edited: Oops. Didn't realize he had already replied to you.

Andy, I'm glad they had you in the hatch. You were great. My mother is active duty/army reserves. She just became a Sgt. about a year ago. I always tease her about all of the ridiculous acronyms you all have. I can't keep up with it all.

Haha I always forget that we almost speak an entirely different language. I really didn't expect that I'd have to keep translating. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Tig, David, Kyle, and yes Aaron made me feel so comfortable, but trying to keep the conversation moving in one direction was like wrangling cats!

• Like 3

I agree, it was nice to listen to.

And I like to hear people from the military speaking out against the hero worship of our military that so many people think we should all do.I mean, at the end of the day, soldiers are just like everybody else. Now don't get me wrong, I think that soldiers deserve respect, and I would argue gratitude, for what they do. Just like any other public servant, be it firemen (and firewomen!), policemen (and policewomen!), etc. But this attitude of putting soldiers on pedestals, as if by being a soldier that AUTOMATICALLY makes you a hero, is such bullshit. Yeah, a lot of soldiers are heroes, and a lot of them aren't. It may make you feel like a good person because you're saying certain things, but you're still making assumptions about people without knowing them. I totally think it would make me uncomfortable if I were in the same position of having people give me a standing ovation just for being there, or just having a stranger come up randomly and call me a hero. People who do that probably think they're being kind and respectful, but I don't think they're really thinking about the soldiers they're doing it for as a person, if you follow me. I mean of course you still have to be polite and gracious, but I think people should just treat soldiers like regular people for the most part.

And sometimes as a society it feels like we give soldiers this hero worship, holidays dedicated to them, and parades, to try and compensate for the more tangible things we're not giving them. Like good compensation, effective help with integrating into society, and in many cases not even proper health care for things that happened to them.

OK, sorry for ranting so much. Just ant to say again I enjoyed the podcast and would love to listen to you again. It was very cool that you were such an obvious fan of the show.

Yeah Andrew was a very good podcast guest I was bummed out when the episode had to end

At 33, I still don't know where I stand on war. That being said, smart, down-to-earth military people like Andrew give me more to consider in my attempt to figure it all out. So, thanks Andrew. Great episode!

• Like 1

You guys are making me blush! Carp, I was saying that the most realistic depiction of combat I've seen is in Black Hawk Down. They were in a much more dire situation than I ever found myself in at any one time. But the action, the exhaustion, the nerves, the boredom, the gore it's all pretty realistically done. I often hear my friends quoting the end of that movie where one of the characters explains that his reason for doing it all was not the politics or the adreneline rush but the man fighting next to you. I can agree with that. BTW, check out my twitter feed @andyshaver for a couple behind the scenes pics I got.

Great episode and I know this may sound cliched, but I genuinely thank you for you service and your great appearance on this episode!

• Like 1

And sometimes as a society it feels like we give soldiers this hero worship, holidays dedicated to them, and parades, to try and compensate for the more tangible things we're not giving them. Like good compensation, effective help with integrating into society, and in many cases not even proper health care for things that happened to them.

As a veteran I could not agree with you more, and its awkward as hell when someone comes up to you and just wants to shake your hand for no reason, it gets all these kids all riled up and wanting to join because now they will be liked and will be a hero, I think its fucked up. But I think if you join because you want to serve and do what you think is right then do it. But the military and the people who are in charge don't do the dirty work. You do.

So next time you see a guy wearing a unit t shirt it may be because he wants to connect with others like him, if a guy is wearing dog tags, a tight Under Armour T-shirt and a high and tight and acting like a tool, then do all us vets a favor and save our name by kicking this guy in the nuts.

One of best guests ever. Jazz note put it over the top!

Agree. He's at least as popular as Sacha.

Sign in to follow this