🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 161 — Generalizing The South

A caller believes that we've been bagging on the South for being racist. Andrew Ti & Sean O'Connor give their reasons for doing so and Sean tells us about his recent fight with Nascar fans. Be sure to keep leaving us messages at (323) 389-RACE.

As a long time resident of the South, I am here to say that whatever few bastions of tolerance (which aren't really that tolerant at all) in the South, there are thousands of more towns and cities that ghettoize minorities and are havens for hate groups. No, it's not prejudiced at all to say the South is more racist, because it actually is. But I find this is more of an argument that is most had between two hipsters who want to prove how open-minded they are because they live in X instead of Y. If this question looms large in your mind when you think of racism, then you're a part of the problem, because this is not as important as actual people's lives being destroyed by systemic oppression.

The only problem I have with when people say stuff like everyone in the south is racist or all of the south is racist is that like, there are a lot of people in the south who aren't white. White people don't own the south anymore. So when I hear people say fuck the south or whatever, I'm like tell it to Bun B and see how you feel. Though yeah obviously the dominant white culture of the south is still super racist.

The only problem I have with when people say stuff like everyone in the south is racist or all of the south is racist is that like, there are a lot of people in the south who aren't white. White people don't own the south anymore. So when I hear people say fuck the south or whatever, I'm like tell it to Bun B and see how you feel. Though yeah obviously the dominant white culture of the south is still super racist.

Non-white people have always been in the South, and it was racist in the past as well. And white people are still the majority in former Confederate states.

i once had a woman straight up yell at me and then leave me at the bar for saying the south is obviously more racist than the northern part of the country but since this happened in the suburbs of dallas i should not have been too surprised

Oh shit, shout out to GREENVILLE.

Non-white people have always been in the South, and it was racist in the past as well. And white people are still the majority in former Confederate states.

Actually, non-Hispanic white people were only 45% of the population of Texas in the 2010 census. The only states with a lower percentage of white people are Hawaii, California, and New Mexico. So when you say shit like "Fuck Texas, it's mad racist," all general like that, you're ignoring over half the state. Obviously we know that you mean the white people in power are racist but it's still annoying, like come on yo, we're there too. Don't ignore us like the racists here wish they could.

Don't be so sensitive. I live in Philly. It's a racist city. But it's majority African American. And there are a lot of non-racist whites living there. But it's still mad racist because a bunch of rich whites who live in the burbs and the mainline come into the city everyday to order blacks around. I can admit that my city is full of white racists, and I don't have to grasp onto to some "Philly Pride" bullshit. Still, I like a lot of people here. Why do Southern whites get so offended when their cities are called racist? Is it some "Rebel Pride" Brad Paisley thing?

Why do Southern whites get so offended when their cities are called racist? Is it some "Rebel Pride" Brad Paisley thing?

i know families in texas whose whole identity is basically "we're southern" while ignoring all the racist parts of that description even though there is nothing left when that happens. it's more of an "accidental racist" brad paisley thing

Sign in to follow this