🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 237 — Filipino Blockbuster

1/3 of the Nerdist podcast & host of Jonah Raydio, Jonah Ray makes his first appearance along with fan favorite Nick Thune for a bro out sesh on this week’s b-b-b-bonus-s-s-s episode of Comedy Bang! Bang! After the guys confess their love of baseball movies, newcomer Tito Ben stops by to let us know all about his Eagle Rock plaza kiosk that he calls “Filipino Blockbuster.” Plus, an unforgettable game of Would You Rather? between bros!

I mean this as nothing but a compliment to Scott Achingman but that first stamps.com ad was the funniest thing on this whole episode. Other than Scott's out-of-hand rejection of Jonah's CLASSIC would you rather blunder.

• Like 2

I was liking Eugene's Filipino character here, definitely good enough to bring the man and the charac back.

Noticed him popping up in Kroll Show, seems like a talented enough guy

I was really looking forward to that promised return of "How you weigh?"

• Like 3

oh my goooooood it was so hard to not burst out laughing at Tito's backing vocals.

• Like 3

Eugene's Filipino character was fucking perfect. Thune is always a great presence, but along with Jonah, this episode was just an active home run. Swing Vote. Baseballs.

• Like 4

Please make Tito Ben a regular character!! That was one of the funniest characters I've ever heard on the show. Eugene Cordero was hilarious.

I think this was the best episode since Bob Ducca's return a few weeks back.

Well I mean, if you don't include the two episodes inbetween, then sure.

• Like 1

Well I mean, if you don't include the two episodes inbetween, then sure.

I found this one much more enjoyable than the last two. I apologize if that is a controversial statement.

Wow, Scott is laying down the law! I felt like Scott was my Dad.

Also, Tito Ben was comedy gold.

Eugene Cordero fucking crushed it! I agreed with CruBolt that Tito Ben needs to be a recurring character. I did a Danny Thomas on my computer screen at work when Eugene was doing the backing vocals.

Great episode.

I found this one much more enjoyable than the last two. I apologize if that is a controversial statement.

HOW DARE YOU, SIR?!

All I have to say about this show is: Well, they can't all be winners.

All I have to say to that is: oooooh...... yay. be real good..... do..... you up........

• Like 2

The best part about this episode and Tito Ben is that Filipino Blockbuster is an actual kiosk in the actual Eagle Rock Plaza. It might really be called Pinoy Blockbuster which is basically the same. Next time I'm in the Eagle Rock Plaza I'll go to the kiosk and ask for Tito Ben...

• Like 2

Did scott say 'A Nat Fraction' in the stamps ad? Does he write movies with Jim Rational Numbers?

Did scott say 'A Nat Fraction' in the stamps ad? Does he write movies with Jim Rational Numbers?

I thought he said Matt Fraction, a great comic book writer. Since Scott's a comic fan and all that....

• Like 4

At first, I thought that Tito Ben was way too reliant on the audience knowing and being amused by the fact that Filipino people apparently use incorrect consonant sounds when speaking English, but he gradually won me over. Great charac.

My favorite moment was Scott saying "Like the pilot on the U2 360 tour?"

Eugene Cordero was FUCKING HILARIOUS. But in all fairness, I'm FIlipino and he reminded me of cousins I make fun of.

• Like 1

At first, I thought that Tito Ben was way too reliant on the audience knowing and being amused by the fact that Filipino people apparently use incorrect consonant sounds when speaking English, but he gradually won me over. Great charac.

My favorite moment was Scott saying "Like the pilot on the U2 360 tour?"

I do not have much experience with Filipino; Jo Koy has a bit where he establishes the switch and then imitates his mother ('Josep! Josep!' etc). I did take some Japanese back in the day, and in the hiragana & katakana character alphabets, the H characters also serve as the B & P characters, made distinct by different 'voicing' marks. I don't think the Japanese alphabet has an F sound, other than FU in the H row of characters [ha hi fu he ho]).

I did find it interesting how 'voicing marks' were added onto hard sounds to soften them and differentiate between sounds. The K characters got voicing marks to be G sounds. The T characters became D sounds. S = Z. And then H becomes B & P.

I like languages. Wish I could speak more than one!

That is all besides the point though. I don't think Eugene was relying on the P/B/F switching to make things he was saying funny. I don't even think he was slowly introducing his manner of speech for people to get on board. He was off like a shot and doing his character. It was fun throughout, and it did not take any longer for me to get on board with what he was saying and his character's premise than any other weird-voiced, American-accented character.

• Like 1

I thought he said Matt Fraction, a great comic book writer. Since Scott's a comic fan and all that....

LOL interesting. I thought it might have been a Nat Faxon reference thing.

Sign in to follow this