🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 217 — Professional Gaming Slur

Andrew and Baron Vaughn have a couple of ideas on the kinds of consequences some public figures should face for making racist slurs. Don’t forget to keep leaving us messages by calling (323) 389-RACE.

I like the one strike punishment. If that Australian had said he believes Jerry Sandusky did the right thing by those boys, he would have been kicked out, scourged, and erased from the annals of gaming announcers. The reason is that society has decided that they WILL NOT accept pro child abuse statements. That is a good thing. It will also be a good thing when people treat racism with the same amount of intolerance.

Pro gaming usually means videogames.

Anyway, I agree with the zero-tolerance thing. I follow the (admittedly very nerdy) pro gaming scene, and while certain games have a more diverse player base, StarCraft and other PC games are really devoid of black people...Shit like that just makes the whole scene look racist and uninviting, as it's already very white (and Asian) and evidently somewhat-tolerant of racial epithets.

The fighting-game community (Street Fighter and shit) has way more PoCs, but they have their own issues, like sexism and shit. But this isn't the YITS podcast.

Pro gaming usually means videogames.

Anyway, I agree with the zero-tolerance thing. I follow the (admittedly very nerdy) pro gaming scene, and while certain games have a more diverse player base, StarCraft and other PC games are really devoid of black people...Shit like that just makes the whole scene look racist and uninviting, as it's already very white (and Asian) and evidently somewhat-tolerant of racial epithets.

The fighting-game community (Street Fighter and shit) has way more PoCs, but they have their own issues, like sexism and shit. But this isn't the YITS podcast.

Gaming in general is a boy's club. And is there really more diversity in fighting games community? It's very white and Asian at EVO.

Yeah it's still predominantly Asian (from a worldwide view) and a lot of white people, but there are a ton more black and hispanic players than shooters/strategy games.

Not only is this 99% referring to video gaming, but oh hell yes is it nerdy to an unbelievable level. I'm IN the gaming industry, as a 3D artist & animator, and I can't drum up enough shits to pretend to care about this stuff. The appeal is baffling to me. I mean, how can you read stuff like this and not just get depressed? Link: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-15-league-of-legends-players-recognised-as-pro-athletes-in-the-u-s.

Oh and OnReload and Shariq are super right about

. Just a sad, misogynistic mess. It's harder to find a girl at those events than it is to find a guy in the crowd for American Idol. "A Boy's Club" is an understatement, but it's certainly not surprising - anyone who's ever dared to put on an Xbox Live Headset should know that girls aren't usually welcome in "hardcore games". The show should try to get Aisha Tyler on sometime, get her views on it. She's a well-known celebrity gamer, and being a girl, seems to get shit constantly from anonymous assholes on the internet. Especially since she puts herself out there so much, doing press for Ubi Soft and hosting their press conferences at E3 and such.

This stuff is just taken to an ubelievable level. It's just such a 180 from what games are supposed to be about; entertainment. Sure, these guys seem to enjoy it when they win, but at no other point it seems. They're far too focused; just joyless. It's taken much too seriously. To paraphrase Jason Mantzoukas from the How Did This Get Made Podcast, This is literally next level bonkers. I'd like to say this stuff doesn't count for anything in real-life, but people have put so much value into it that there's just too much crazy money changing hands in this little sub-culture now. How much cash did the Dota 2 Invitational/International drum up this year? 3 million bucks for the winning team or something crazy?

But still, if you're going to dive in, out of curiosity or something, you should probably go to Twitch TV. Prepare to be bored out of your mind watching "professional level" League of Legends or Dota 2 play. And yes, Starcraft II. I'd love to hear Andrew & Baron's thoughts on this stuff, should they actually take a peek at this nonsense. Apparently it's actually kind of a big deal. When 2 million or so viewers are checking some of these tournaments out online, that's better ratings than some shows on NBC nowadays.

Truly zero research done, just bullshitting. Awful podcast that just calls people racist, nothing has been called not racist. Blog okay, this is garbage.

Truly zero research done, just bullshitting. Awful podcast that just calls people racist, nothing has been called not racist. Blog okay, this is garbage.

4390341_700b.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure if trolling or just stupid

Love the podcast