🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 105 — Zombie Lisp

No tricks and instead all treats this Halloween on a special improv5humans with Wayne Federman, Eugene Cordero, Pamela Murphy, and Alex Fernie! Take a listen as they explore Lithuanian fountains, experience some stressful massages, and be part of a realistic zombie movie. Plus, the Earwolf forum inspires some discussion on “bullying” Thomas the Intern for his love of milk. You can now get the UCB Comedy Improv Manual at http://ucbstore.com/books/the-upright-citizens-brigade-comedy-improvisation-manual, Matt Besser’s new comedy album at mattbesser.com, and Dragoon’s new album at dragoongalaxy.bandcamp.com!

Everyone was amazing but hearing Eugene's dulcet tones makes my day brighter haha reallly great episode.. solid!

I'm not a cowboy I'm a student

• Like 2

I love it when Eugene Cordero is in I4H. The man crushes it everytime; gives me an aural boner.

By far the 'car radio' bit was nothing but brilliant. And Wayne re-enacting the toilet bit... flawless.

Matt, the podcast is great and gets better and better!

Oh, you were AMAZING on @Midnight last night.

-R

• Like 1

D'you guys hear that one ad? Besser's bewildered by posters now?! What the hell? Way to bully those of us who can't afford, jeez I dunno, original paintings!

This episode was great. Loved the car radio sketch, the Lithuanian bathroom sketch, the, uh...honestly, all the sketches. Your show is amazing, Matt!

• Like 3

Amazing episode. "3 pumps per 30 seconds" had me dying and the car radio evolved so well into that disaster scenario. Just perfect progression. Definitely a candidate for best of.

I totally lost it when Pam said, "congratulations on getting a boner," in that British accent.

• Like 1

D'you guys hear that one ad? Besser's bewildered by posters now?! What the hell? Way to bully those of us who can't afford, jeez I dunno, original paintings!

I know you're joking, but I was actually mildly annoyed by that. For one thing, YES, there almost certainly are 15-year-olds who listen to Earwolf (and the juxtaposition of this with the discussion of Matt also painting drinking milk as juvenile was pretty funny). Mostly, I think Matt is being overly dismissive of the idea of "posters". The ones Earwolf sells aren't some slapped-together-in-Photoshop-in-ten-minutes image on cheap paper that a teenager or college student would have taped to their wall, they're real art by real artists which are probably framed by most people who buy them. The "Wolf Dead" one is a limited-edition screen print, a form which is, if not exactly a big business, a fairly popular thing.

Anyway, great episode, and I agree with those who have singled out Eugene for praise; he comes up with so many funny little moments that take me by surprise.

Since this would normally have been the previous week's VPN episode, does that mean that isn't going to be released as a podcast?

I was so entertained by how annoyed Pamela Murphy sounded during the radio and massage bits, with the characters. She nailed her tone so perfectly.

Was this a VPN episode? If so when is the video available on youtube?

Since this would normally have been the previous week's VPN episode, does that mean that isn't going to be released as a podcast?

This wasn't a VPN episode, but I assume that the VPN episode that was recorded last week(with Zach Woods and a bunch of other improvisers) will be released soon.

I know you're joking, but I was actually mildly annoyed by that. For one thing, YES, there almost certainly are 15-year-olds who listen to Earwolf (and the juxtaposition of this with the discussion of Matt also painting drinking milk as juvenile was pretty funny). Mostly, I think Matt is being overly dismissive of the idea of "posters". The ones Earwolf sells aren't some slapped-together-in-Photoshop-in-ten-minutes image on cheap paper that a teenager or college student would have taped to their wall, they're real art by real artists which are probably framed by most people who buy them. The "Wolf Dead" one is a limited-edition screen print, a form which is, if not exactly a big business, a fairly popular thing.

Matt doesn't buy posters. Therefore, anyone who buys posters is weird. Or a child, apparently. Never mind the, as you say, real artists who took the time to create those posters.

And y'know, someone hired those real artists to make those posters to promote Earwolf's shows, including i4h, so Matt, you're kinda missing the point, there.

I figured, if I got mentioned on the show at all, Matt would make me out to be some kind of formerly bullied, oversensitive jerk. I also figured I'd be misrepresented, which I was -- I had more to say than the single message Thomas read on the air, plus Thomas and I had a brief conversation via private message that further clarified where I was coming from. When Thomas asked me to be on the show, I said no not because I was afraid of being bullied, but because I can't recall a single listener/Twitter follower who's been brought on as a guest who hasn't been, on some level, belittled or shouted at. And I have better things to do with my time than be a punching-bag for Matt.

But I called it -- weeks ago, I'd said this to Thomas in a private message:

Anyway, can't wait to hear Matt spin this as me being a coward who was afraid of a little shouting!

Disappointed I was right.

I have a poster of a glass of milk on my wall.

The poster thing was weird. The milk thing was very dismissive. Rarely do you hear a guest do anything but awkwardly come up with ways to support Matt.

EDIT: Matt, we've all heard how you talk to your call-in guests.

The car radio bit, however, was a best of all time scene. Great episode.

I figured, if I got mentioned on the show at all, Matt would make me out to be some kind of formerly bullied, oversensitive jerk. I also figured I'd be misrepresented, which I was -- I had more to say than the single message Thomas read on the air, plus Thomas and I had a brief conversation via private message that further clarified where I was coming from. When Thomas asked me to be on the show, I said no not because I was afraid of being bullied, but because I can't recall a single listener/Twitter follower who's been brought on as a guest who hasn't been, on some level, belittled or shouted at. And I have better things to do with my time than be a punching-bag for Matt.

Ok, so Matt said you wouldn't go on the show because you were afraid you'd get bullied, when your actual reason was, you didn't want to get bullied. I wouldn't call that being misrepresented. On the other hand, your original post, in which you said Matt couldn't comprehend someone eating cereal when he never said anything about cereal, that actually is misrepresentation.

sweet print! Is that a Glen Brogan piece?

No, Ryan Brinkerhoff. Not really familiar with him, just happened to find this on Gallery 1988's site, probably from one of their themed shows.

• Like 1

Ah, gallery 88 is where I found brogan's work the first time. If you're into that style I recommend checking out Brogan too. Pop art is heady.

Screen printing is probably my favorite visual medium. It's so difficult and detail oriented. It appeals to all of my compulsive tendencies.

Tim Doyle has been blowing my mind for a couple of years. If you like comics or dig the old Mondo movie prints, he is the guy to check out.

I'll stop.

Yeah, I like Doyle and have two of his pieces. Just checked out some of Brogan's stuff, cool style. I've seen some of it from 1988 shows but I guess I just didn't know the name.

OK, I'll stop too.

• Like 1