🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 82 — Kotter Talk

Our righteous adventurers stared down and dispatched a wave of creepy skeletons on the mountain top monastery. Now they’ll take a breather and have themselves a chat about important things like Welcome Back, Kotter before they continue on their journey!

Diggin' the new group and adventures. I love Blaine as the DM. The flavor he adds to the creature reactions and battle happenings is just hilarious. I haven't had a chance to listen to #81 yet, but I am hoping the random wandering eventually sprouts into a storyline with an actual goal or protagonist. So far, it's just been one big random meandering encounter to another. Several times, i thought it might splinter off into an actual campaign, like when they found those cool items in the Roc nest, or the nasty little critters attacking them in the forest, or the funny little cart driver that I was hoping would be some sort of yoda-like character until he became Roc Chow. I need someone like Venger or Sauron driving the storyline and making all this killing meaningful, giving all of this talent focus and purpose. At least it's better than continual arena fights. Nothing bothers me more than games I've played where that's all anyone wants to do.

Keep up the good work, Lady & Gents!

• Like 2

So right Obi Wan, I love Blaine's style, but it needs a bad guy, or a princess to save...unobtainium to obtain....something.

And do ya think Blaine should consider ADD meds? Distractions we're funny while he was a PC, but with Blaine in control they're getting bigger & bigger.....at this rate 90 will be entirely TV references I don't understand.

• Like 1

ha! Jester, I at least fortunately (or unfortunately, however you may look at it) am old enough to get most all of the references. For someone who just hit 40, I dig all their goofy dated references. If you're much younger, I imagine it'd be somewhat frustrating to pick up what they're layin' down and keep interested, but some of this stuff is still on broadcast tv. Just a few weeks ago, my girlfriend and i were watching Welcome Back Kotter and astounded at how much it holds up against most craptacular new sitcoms.

I for one actually enjoy chatty-DM. I guess it might in part be that I really like funny-people-hanging-out format podcasts in the first place, and enjoy the talent on this program, so some occasional D+D to boot is just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

I for one actually enjoy chatty-DM. I guess it might in part be that I really like funny-people-hanging-out format podcasts in the first place, and enjoy the talent on this program, so some occasional D+D to boot is just icing on the cake.

It isn't BAD. Just not what I've gotten used to over 82 episodes.

D&D is the cake, the pop culture jokes, relevant or not, should be taking the back seat. If they wanted to just sit round chatting about dead famous people they should have not included "nerd poker with" and just call it Brain Posehn and friends.

• Like 2

I loved blackie green, but blaine as a DM is like phantom menace George lucas. The plot is aimless, the villains toothless, and he's much more focused on a cheap laugh.

sorry that was unnecessary. Kill the orcs! Destroy the orcs!

• Like 1

So last episode ended with them entering the color room, this episode ended with them entering the color room.....

• Like 2

I loved blackie green, but blaine as a DM is like phantom menace George lucas. The plot is aimless, the villains toothless, and he's much more focused on a cheap laugh.

sorry that was unnecessary. Kill the orcs! Destroy the orcs!

:o dude...not cool...

The problem I have is that everything kind of feels like it's just filler. If Sark was only going to be gone for 1 or 2 episodes that wouldn't be a big deal, but we've been through 9 episodes of the new campaign now, and there still isn't a real plot, and the jokes and tangents seem to run the episodes more than actually playing the game. It's still super funny, maybe even funnier than before, but I don't only listen to Nerd Poker for the jokes.

In the first episode of the Blaine Era he said that he was intending to do some "Danger Room" style scenario that might morph into an actual campaign, but that for now it's going to be very make it up as he goes to get a feel for the characters and how they'll interact.

Personally I'm listening because these guys (and gal) make me laugh, it just happens that they're also playing D&D. But they're funny people doing what funny people do, making people laugh.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this