🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 143 — F#$%ing Bird Cops

This week our giant hating, pun loving heroes move farther towards danger. Will bee, or beef stings cripple them? Can they successfully hide from these yellow birds? Why is Johnny Cash here? Will Scott Aukerman notice the ruining of his Comedy Bang Bang white board? Tune in this week to find out!

People would probably donate again if the show was engaging again. Fighting random monsters with no goal for over a year and a half is super boring to listen to. And all of the people who have been saying that on twitter, Itunes reviews, reddit and here are probably the ones who used to donate. Sorry.

• Like 4

People would probably donate again if the show was engaging again. Fighting random monsters with no goal for over a year and a half is super boring to listen to. And all of the people who have been saying that on twitter, Itunes reviews, reddit and here are probably the ones who used to donate. Sorry.

Here's the issue I had to come to terms with in regard to Nerd Poker. If they just re-branded it as Brian Posehn & Friends, and left it as an informal, pop culture joke podcast, I think that would be fine and would attract its own audience. But when I originally subscribed to Nerd Poker, it was to listen to a bunch of funny people role play through a D & D campaign. That's what I wanted to listen to, but that's no longer what it is. It's like if I went to an ice cream shop and ordered a scoop of chocolate ice cream, but instead I was given a scoop of vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. Yes, it's still ice cream, and yes, it's still chocolate-y, but it's not what I ordered.

It saddens me that I can no longer listen to what was once one of my favorite podcasts. I unsubscribed a couple of months ago, but I still lurk these forums to see if I should dip my toe back in (again, because I did enjoy it so much). From the look of things, that hasn't happened. My breaking point was when I listened to an episode and they were heading to the blue (?) city and then I had to miss a couple of weeks. I didn't bother to listen to the episodes I missed and just jumped back in with the most current episode, and they were still MILES away from getting to the city! This isn't even counting that they were already heading to the blue city for a couple of episodes prior to my having to not listen for a couple weeks! Lately, I've been listening to The Adventure Zone and Campaign, and they have been more than able to sate my desire for comedic RPG podcasting. In both of those podcasts, nobody is expected to trek across country in real time. If they need to be somewhere, the Gamemaster says, "Okay, now you're there--let's get back into the story."

• Like 3

The crew does seem pretty adept at slaying all manner of Giant. Maybe Yellow and Blue would conscript these mighty warriors against their common foe: Red!

• Like 1

One of these days, Houg is going to remember he has a dang Helm of Teleportation.

I always stick up for the show, I still think it's a fun listen and worth checking out, Dan and Ken especially crack me up AND role-play really well. It was looking up for a while since things bottomed out on three months of fighting skeletons, but yeah, I'll admit it, they really need a change, or at least some sort of goal. I like that Blaine took away the carpet rather than just letting them fly wherever they wanted, but like i've said before, he should just let them be captured and start building an escape story where they actually interact with SOMEBODY. Dan tried so hard when he went out to talk to the yellow giant, but aside from that, it's been kill on sight with zero interaction for months and months.

There should be a D&D Bechdel-style test: Give the NPCs some names, and speaking parts, and some sort of reason to exist besides killing the party. ; )

Love you guys though, keep it up.

Bb.

• Like 2

There should be a D&D Bechdel-style test: Give the NPCs some names, and speaking parts, and some sort of reason to exist besides killing the party. ; )

The episode passes the test if:

1. The episode has more than one NPC in it.

2. The PCs talk to the NPCs.

3. About something other than killing them.

• Like 1

One of these days, Houg is going to remember he has a dang Helm of Teleportation.

Actually, when they used the teleportation rune things they first ended up in 1 location and then used the helm to attempt to go back but teleported elsewhere and the helm was left behind in the location they teleported from (one of the things that can happen with a % roll). So sadly, no teleportation helm.

As for show direction, I was disappointed to hear where the interaction with the giant on the beach went but came to terms with it. The danager room stuff is getting old but I doubt it will change any time soon especially listening to this latest episode where it sounds like Dan gave up looking for a story/NPC interaction with this episode. At least they all still funny to listen to (I just go elsewhere for my D&D fix).

...it sounds like Dan gave up looking for a story/NPC interaction with this episode...

Nope.

• Like 3

When you're having fun, I'm having fun.

This podcast brings much joy.

Thank you.

I will listen to it forever.

• Like 3

Nope.

Nope.

You don't know how happy that made me (and sorry for assuming) but when you were just talking about the need to kill those dickwads (or anything really) I was thinking "Great! There goes my hope for interaction." Of course, I can understand the want & desire to kill those damned giants since they have all be asshats to you guys.

I think you guys transfer a lot of your Sark mourning into some big leaps of logic. We are having fun and playing a game. And Sark rules so I get it. We love each and every one of you, but I feel like sometimes there's way more roleplaying than people WANT to notice. Sometimes definitely not. :)

• Like 1

Lack of roleplaying hasn't been the common complaint I've seen. The recurring critiques have to do with Blaine not giving you guys much to roleplay against besides combat.

• Like 2

I get the impression you looked at my post and thought "How can I avoid considering his point and spin what he said in a way that keeps this unpleasant?" Doesn't feel like a particularly constructive conversation to have.

I really like doing the show and just wanted to pop in and let someone know that I'm always looking for the story stuff. I like you guys and feel like I understand the tribe of big ideals, we just can't be a Project Image spell flowing from anyone's Staff of Illusion. And thanks to everyone who's been so cool to the show throughout my participation! I don't take your continued listening for granted.

• Like 1

And I get the impression, from following you on twitter/reddit and listening to your quips about listener opinions in the show, that you probably reply to anything you deem as a critical opposing view with a snarky remark before declaring it's not a conversation worth having. C'est la vie.

• Like 3

Aww Brian at the end of the episode... had me bummed.

I have enjoyed this podcast from the first episode. I've spent the last several months catching up to where we are now, and have really relished all the time spent listening at work. I haven't had the opportunity to play much D&D over the last many years but this Podcast really brings me back to all the joy and nonsense of my groups old campaigns.

Sure Sark and Blaine's DM-ing styles are totally different but I don't really understand all the bitching.

I'm still having fun. I still look forward to new episodes every Wed. (though it was hard getting used to only being able to listen once week as opposed to listening to as many episodes as I could cram into an 8 hour work day).

Leave it to nerds to complain about a Free podcast featuring a bunch of hilarious dudes whom we'd likely never get the opportunity to hear speak candidly about soo many different topics or hear all the bits and riffs IRL. Also, we get it all with the backdrop of an ongoing D&D game! For Christ's Sake! They don't owe us shit!!!

I say keep doing your thing Nerd Poker!

Love you guys!

P.S. I remember Brian.... I remember

• Like 2

To my dearest Dan,

I am somewhat in agreement with Shampoodler. I too have noticed that you are very quick to jump on people for constructive criticisms. Not everyone is trying to insult you by voicing that they want a little different direction in this podcast. I’m sure many, me included, have a great love and gratitude for what you guys have put together for us for years now and are only trying to point out that with minimal tweaks it could be so much more than it is and appeal to a much broader audience. Dan, sometimes your vehement comments come so sharply and dismissively, that I don’t think you get the care and concerned nature with which these comments on Nerd Poker are intended. I appreciate how much effort you guys take to put together an entertaining podcast week after week. Yes, there is definitely a difference between Sark and Blaine, but it’s been almost a year (or more than a year?- I am temporally challenged) since Sark’s departure. I’ve been listening since way before then, and I don’t think the difference is that people are just still expecting Sark’s style. I think the situation is we listeners just want a little more NPC interaction and dialogue. Perhaps, even, a clear goal for the near future for these NPCs to obtain.

Since being chased from the flaming tavern in one of the early Blaine DMed episodes, there has been pretty much nil interaction that wasn’t mindless grunting, a few broken (Common as a Second Language) aggressive exclamations almost guaranteed to end up in senseless aggression toward the PCs. Yes, there is still “Role Playing” going on in these adventures, especially amongst the PC cast. But face it, you guys have been wandering an eternity from colored patch of land to colored patch of land, all hostile in almost every regard. There is seemingly no end to it. Every time you guys make some headway one direction or another, it is thrown asunder thus again leading to more semi-directionless wandering. Just the slightest momentum toward a MacGuffin or some semblance of any story aside from let’s go from here to there to here to there trying to get away from everything that is homicidally lurking in the shadows to gank you guys. And it’s not that I don’t like some of what Blaine’s doing, but it just feels so hollow and pointless without something more than this aimless traveling and constant unprovoked aggression from Flora and Fauna alike.

Please don’t misinterpret this as bitching. I LOVE this podcast still. You guys are so funny that it more than makes up for a lack of abiding by rules, or multifaceted tangents that get way off track. While I was sad to see Sarah, Gerry and Sark leave, I think you and Steve are awesome supplements. I even got Rick Remender to sign my Player’s Handbook because even your substitute guests are so hilarious to me. I don’t want you to think I’m unappreciative of the entertainment. Yes, it’s free, but I have sent in donation as well as given dough to Brian several times when he’s been in the Portland area. I don’t expect a whole lot for my meager contributions, and in no way do I feel “owed” anything by you guys, but I think the entire fan base and donation pool would benefit greatly from a more cohesive direction and robust NPC interaction. People are begging for it repeatedly on this forum as well as on other blogs, etc.

I don’t support pandering or conforming to the demands of fanboys or fangirls (of which I definitely qualify, but listen to me – dammit!!!), but listening and accepting some constructive criticisms and trying to build on an already good thing. I was saddened by that plea for donor support last week, as I don’t want this, my favorite podcast of all time to end when there are little things that can be done to tune it up and get it swinging harder than that dude in the wheelchair Blaine’s always talkin’ ‘bout.

• Like 5

Sign in to follow this