🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
engineerdoug

Episode 4 — 21 Grams

There has been a major controversy populating the public consciousness lately: The rapture. So why not take some time to discuss the afterlife and what it entails? Our guest this week is Katy Bee-Wyatt, a youth pastor who can offer answers to questions like "What do the keys of heaven look like?" and "Do souls have pagers?" David takes this opportunity to show off his extensive knowledge about whales and nirvana, and we even included a sing-along! So what about you, listener? Are you a Stephen Hawking or a Colton Burpo?

• Like 1

Serious time! I'm gonna be the non-funny first poster who kills everyone's buzz. I hate to sound like a dick (it's impossible with subjects like this), but does it really matter what you emotionally dislike about being in the ground being eaten by worms? You aren't conscious anymore to experience it so why would you care? Do you care about all the billions of years that you didn't exist before you were born? What you personally prefer has no bearing on what is true. All that we know right now about how reality works seems to point to your death being the end. We know you rot in the ground we know that the chemicals in your brain that make you who you are no longer function. So until someone can point to an eternal soul that exists outside all known laws of physics I see no reason to believe in an afterlife.

Sure we can't know for sure that we aren't in a computer simulation, but billions of people have made claims throughout our time here on Earth about what happens when you die. Is it reincarnation, heaven/hell, computer simulation, a dream etc? How do you determine which of these is true? Wouldn't the honest answer be "I don't know, and anyone who claims to doesn't either."? I just want to know what someones basis would be for choosing a particular Christian idea of the afterlife over any other. Besides personal comfort or a need for some sort of divine judgement to sort out all the wrongs that occur. Like Kyle was getting at I think any idea of reward or punishment (eternal life/torture) just cheapens the life we KNOW we have right here. Not just in a personal preference sort of way either.

I also thought it was interesting how Katy responded to David's idea of waking up from a dream with "you gotta fill in a lot of holes on that one, like where are you when you wake up from your dream?" This is the exact sort of questioning that people apply to other peoples faiths but not their own. Similar thing happened when you discussed reincarnation and nirvana.

Also you should check out some of the criticisms of Mother Teresa. They are quite interesting.

Sign in to follow this