🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 155.5 - Minisode 155.5

Saved by the Bell, the Collateral Beauty of Will Smith’s mind, and plants. All of this and more is covered on this week’s mini-sode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Airborne and we hear Blake J. Harris interview Shane McDermott aka Mitchell Goosen, star of Airborne (go to www.slashfilm.com to read the whole thing) and the Movie Bitches review Collateral Beauty. Plus, we find out what bad ass sequel we’ll be hearing on next week’s episode!

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

it wasn't until i started listening to podcasts that i found out the movie i have know as california man my whole life was originally called encino man. i think it was when someone did a pauly shore impression on DLM that it clicked.

wqUtRUI.jpg

got me thinking about other movies with different names around the world. i've heard some some stange names given to american movies in asia but here's a few that are different in ireland vs USA

Ireland / USA

Leon / The professional

Bad Neighbours / Neighbours ....... because they thought we'd think it was an aussie soap

Bigfoot and the Hendersons / Harry and the Hendersons

Hummiongbird / Redemption ... also called crazy joe in france ... this movie is so bad they named it thrice

Unleased / Danny the dog

Die hard 4.0 / Live free or die hard

A New York winters tale / Winters Tale

xXx 2: The Next Level / xXx: State of the Union

Welcome to the Jungle / The Rundown

Zootropolis / Zootopia

No doubt there's more ... any examples from other regions?

• Like 7

huh, I guess they must have moved xXx up so people can still see it in the theater.

Mitchell Gooseman sounds like a nice guy but I still hate his character in Airborne.

• Like 4

Paul, it is the SAME giggle every time. Listen back to an old episode instead of on YouTube. I can't explain it. Maybe at some point one of the engineers copied it from an episode instead of from the original audio file. There is no way that the same people giggle the same way EVERY single time.

Also, on accents: I noticed similar phenomena in the remake of The Crazies. It takes place in Iowa, but some of the characters speak with a southern twang. Granted we're not a cosmopolitan as New York or LA, but "flyover state" does not equal "The South." I guess they figure we're all country folk. Incidentally I do live out in the country.

There was more I had to say, but I'll have to listen to the episode again.

Ill-Be-Back-Terminator.gif

• Like 3

Ireland / USA

Leon / The professional

To be fair, the original title was Leon and then they changed it for the theatrical release. Now they've just combined the two of them and it's called Leon: The Professional.

I think it's the only movie that Doug doesn't go all "FULL TITLE!" on DLM because it's changed so many times.

• Like 4

I just wanted to extend my Best Wishes to Marissa! I was in contact with her throughout Howdies prep and she was an absolute pleasure! She was very pleasant and fun to work with. I'm sorry to see her leave the HDTGM family, but I just know she's going to excel at whatever the future holds for her.

Good Luck, Marissa!

giphy.gif

• Like 10

To be fair, the original title was Leon and then they changed it for the theatrical release. Now they've just combined the two of them and it's called Leon: The Professional.

I think it's the only movie that Doug doesn't go all "FULL TITLE!" on DLM because it's changed so many times.

adding "The professional" is close to blaspheme round my parts. the first time i heard of it was during my first summer job. older guy there kept talking about it (he even went and called his first child Leon ... that's more than abit weird right?). then my class went on a school tour to Barcelona, by bus, through France! so we went through alot of movies but Leon was the only one to get multiple viewings.

it's a classic .. and for some inexplicable reason it always gets my back up whenever i hear some say "The Professional". stupid i know but it's just one of those films that will stay with me forever and if anyone even thinks of remaking it im gonna ......well, im not going to go see it ... hummpphhh

• Like 2

I just wanted to extend my Best Wishes to Marissa! I was in contact with her throughout Howdies prep and she was an absolute pleasure! She was very pleasant and fun to work with. I'm sorry to see her leave the HDTGM family, but I just know she's going to excel at whatever the future holds for her.

Good Luck, Marissa!

yeah, Marissa was brilliant during the Howdies and the quality of the awards shows is a real testament to her work. who ever is employing her is getting a star. best of luck in the future Marissa ... as someone said to me once "go out and make a name for yourself"

• Like 4

Paul, it is the SAME giggle every time. Listen back to an old episode instead of on YouTube. I can't explain it. Maybe at some point one of the engineers copied it from an episode instead of from the original audio file. There is no way that the same people giggle the same way EVERY single time.

Came here to also say, like the caller, I too just realized last ep that the giggle was actually in the intro song. I always figured there was some chatting/laughing while they have the song going, but it clicked last ep that it is the same laugh and in the song.

Conspiracy theory not debunked.

• Like 1

adding "The professional" is close to blaspheme round my parts. the first time i heard of it was during my first summer job. older guy there kept talking about it (he even went and called his first child Leon ... that's more than abit weird right?). then my class went on a school tour to Barcelona, by bus, through France! so we went through alot of movies but Leon was the only one to get multiple viewings.

it's a classic .. and for some inexplicable reason it always gets my back up whenever i hear some say "The Professional". stupid i know but it's just one of those films that will stay with me forever and if anyone even thinks of remaking it im gonna ......well, im not going to go see it ... hummpphhh

Well I hope it comforts you to know that everyone I know who has seen it only calls it Leon lol.

• Like 4

As a teacher of high school elective courses, students go through a semester of about half of our electives (the rest are full year) and then switch to another elective after.

After switching semesters, I now wish that I had the same kids from the first semester again instead of the new ones.

• Like 5

Also, the American caller from Melbourne might have had the experience of finishing the twelfth grade in the US after her parents immigrated to Australia, but there's no way that it would mean that they would have to start over in that year's curriculum. American kids come to Australia all the time (the mining industry is a big reason for parents to be posted there) and they wouldn't have to start over again. They might have some catch-up to do, but even if they showed in the September of the school year, they would be accommodated. This is even more of a possibility given that Mitchell's supposed to be 15, so in the 10th grade. So, I call you out, Melbourne American caller. Mitchell totally could have gone to Australian school.

• Like 4

Well I hope it comforts you to know that everyone I know who has seen it only calls it Leon lol.

I call it by both names. My uncle took me to see it in the theater when I was 13, and it was billed as The Professional, since that was the US release name. Over about the last 10 years or so, Léon has had more of a resurgence, and people recognize it by either/both names.

Also, I Was There Too kind of ruined that movie for me. Fuck Luc Besson's creepy ass.

• Like 1

I call it by both names. My uncle took me to see it in the theater when I was 13, and it was billed as The Professional, since that was the US release name. Over about the last 10 years or so, Léon has had more of a resurgence, and people recognize it by either/both names.

This is where my youth comes into factor lol. I've really only ever had memory of it being the combination name of Leon: The Professional.

This is where my youth comes into factor lol. I've really only ever had memory of it being the combination name of Leon: The Professional.

2cb9fed2545fa151d18afd2043d395cc.gif

• Like 6

As a teacher of high school elective courses, students go through a semester of about half of our electives (the rest are full year) and then switch to another elective after.

After switching semesters, I now wish that I had the same kids from the first semester again instead of the new ones.

Thanks.gif

• Like 5

I also just wanted to say that I'm sorry for the vulgarity in my posts. It was beneath me and you all deserve better than that. I promise, it will never, ever, ever happen again...

j/k from now on all my posts will be about poop.

indiana-jones-popcorn-reaction-gif.gif

• Like 6

Sign in to follow this