🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 8 (Kateacola's Pick)

I had a hard time deciding---I have a list of ideas but always had My Fair Lady as my first pick. Since it is one I really enjoy, and think there's a lot to discuss & also seems like many of you haven't seen (per Letterboxd). BUT, it is not available to watch streaming anywhere or even to rent streaming on iTunes or Amazon. And I did not want to make everyone purchase it. So, maybe next pick if it's more accessible...

Anyway... I decided to go with another one that I do not think many have seen. And I have not watched since I was pretty young. I don't remember very much about it, but pretty sure I liked it? But curious to see if it holds up, since it seems to have mixed reviews on IMDB and Letterboxd. And has a Rotten Tomatoes score of 50%... so I am sure we will have plenty to talk about.

There was a remake of this movie recently (non-musical though). I haven't seen the remake yet since I wanted to rewatch this first....

My pick is :

220px-Petes_Dragon_movie_poster.jpg

• Like 8

There was a remake of this movie recently (non-musical though). I haven't seen the remake yet since I wanted to rewatch this first....

My pick is :

Cool! I don't think I've seen it since it originally came out. Looking forward to it!

• Like 5

My pick is :

This is a movie I had on VHS as a kid. Watched it a lot, but honestly have no memories of it beyond it being kinda scary to 5 year old me.

• Like 6

This is a movie I had on VHS as a kid. Watched it a lot, but honestly have no memories of it beyond it being kinda scary to 5 year old me.

My first nightmare was of Pete's Dragon chasing me in circles...

tumblr_liqybliK1T1qbaxlqo1_400.gif

• Like 8

Yes! Great pick! I loved this as a kid but had forgotten that I had until I saw the trailer for the remake, at which point I found myself weepy with nostalgia about the original version. I never saw the remake: did anyone else? I wonder if it'll be worthwhile watching that too for comparison (although of course the focus will be kate's pick).

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Yes! Great pick! I loved this as a kid but had forgotten that I had until I saw the trailer for the remake, at which point I found myself weepy with nostalgia about the original version. I never saw the remake: did anyone else? I wonder if it'll be worthwhile watching that too for comparison (although of course the focus will be kate's pick).

giphy.gif

The new one is okay, but kind of boring.

• Like 3

I decided to go with another one that I do not think many have seen.

I guess it's more like has seen but don't remember / only remember being scared by it as a kid.. haha

• Like 5

Also, I own My Fair Lady, but I haven't watched it since I bought it 4 years ago. So, you don't have to worry about me if you ever decide to go that route. ;)

• Like 4

Interesting pick - I've never seen Pete's Dragon. M tried to watch the remake recently, but ended up switching movies. Robert Redford looks good though.

I would have been happy with My Fair Lady too. It's one of those movies that I've seen bits and pieces of, but never from T to B.

• Like 6

Also, I own My Fair Lady, but haven't watched it since I bought it probably 4 years ago. So, you don't have to worry about me if you ever decide to go that route. ;)/>

I almost thought I found a solution last night-- there is a legit website that has it to watch/stream for free. But in checking if it worked ok, it seemed there's a spot early in the movie where it blacked out for a bit :(

So I was bummed after figuring that out cause I thought it had solved my problem.

Still think PD will be interesting to revisit / discuss though. So Im ok with it :)

• Like 5

Still think PD will be interesting to revisit / discuss though. So Im ok with it :)

As am I. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

• Like 4

The new one is okay, but kind of boring.

It got great reviews from a lot of critics that I usually agree with. But that one baffled me.

I'm glad we're watching the original so I can see if it's just my childhood memory being wrong, but I feel like Elliot was barely in the new one (which was one of the reasons I didn't like it) compared to the original.

• Like 4

As am I. I'm looking forward to seeing it again.

Anxious to watch now, since maybe I should have watched before I chose it..

200.gif#204

• Like 7

kateacola - I thought you were going to pick Josie and the Pussycats.

• Like 8

Taylor's gonna be soooo mad at you.

• Like 6

Anxious to watch now, since maybe I should have watched before I chose it..

200.gif#204

Where's the fun in that? Live on the edge!

B56nOCm.gif

• Like 5

I thought about it, but wasn't sure if I could take any of you guys not really liking/loving it. Lol.

Like MFL I do love, but understand there's some issues with it.

And since I brought Josie up recently, I figured it may have been what you all thought I'd pick.

Wanted to keep everyone on their toes..

200.gif#0

• Like 7

and also with Josie-- it isn't a musical musical. They sing songs yes--since they're in a band (duh!).

But it's limited to just the bands in the movie singing. I know you guys would've been OK with that but-- I dunno, I wanted to stick with a more "traditional" musical.

Again, sorry Taylor, please don't hate me. Lol

*and sorry for the triple post

• Like 8