๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 160.5 - Minisode 160.5

Real talk of Streets of Fire, kissing theories, and much more is covered on this weekโ€™s mini-sode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Lake House, we hear Blake J. Harris interview Michael Pare about Streets of Fire (hear the whole thing in HDTGM: Origin Stories on Stitcher Premium), and Paul recommends great things to check out in Paulโ€™s Pick of the Week. Plus, youโ€™ll find out which movie that deals with the importance of family we are watching next!

ย 

ย 

ย 

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paulโ€™s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Wow. They did not hesitate to get on top of covering the latest Furious movie. I mean, I love it since these have been some of the best episodes ever, but man they are just stockpiling the live shows! They've got what, three waiting with two more coming up in Austin and Clusterfest?

• Like 2

My favorite movie heckling (enhancing) moment was during the first Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie. The scene where he has finished breaking into the room with the pressure sensitive floor and accidentally drops his knife from the ceiling. As the knife was tumbling in slow motion someone in the crowd let out a loud NOOOOOOOOOOOOO with their voice pitched to make it sound slowed down to match. It was perfect and got a huge laugh and is the only thing I can remember about that movie now.

• Like 8

My favorite movie heckling (enhancing) moment was during the first Tom Cruise Mission Impossible movie. The scene where he has finished breaking into the room with the pressure sensitive floor and accidentally drops his knife from the ceiling. As the knife was tumbling in slow motion someone in the crowd let out a loud NOOOOOOOOOOOOO with their voice pitched to make it sound slowed down to match. It was perfect and got a huge laugh and is the only thing I can remember about that movie now.

During 300 a few middle school age kids snuck into the packed theater I was in. At one point during that six-pack ab fest, the kids start chatting it up or yelling "gay!" when the guys hugged or patted each other on the back. After about five minutes of this all I see is a large cup of soda sailing through the air from the back of the theater in a perfect spiral, nailing one of the kids in the back of the head. In an utterly perfect second, the movie has a quiet moment and the person who threw the cup screams, "SHUT THE HELL UP!" Needless to say the kids ran out quickly after that as everyone was laughing at them.

• Like 12

Wow. They did not hesitate to get on top of covering the latest Furious movie. I mean, I love it since these have been some of the best episodes ever, but man they are just stockpiling the live shows! They've got what, three waiting with two more coming up in Austin and Clusterfest?

The good news about that is that those are sitting somewhere probably completely done. They have a nice stockpile, so if their schedules get really busy, they won't have to miss weeks or delay episodes or anything like that.

ย 

---

ย 

Regarding the heckling during movies, I'm generally against talking in the theater. People that do it are usually ruining it for everyone else, and I think it's some selfish-ass shit.

ย 

That said, a few of my theater experiences have been made even better by people having reactions at key moments in the movie.

ย 

The most recent was during I Am Not Your Negro. It was a really amazing documentary, but it was so depressing. About 2/3 of the way in, they show a brief clip of Barack and Michelle Obama. It's juxtaposed against some REALLY big downer moments, and as soon as they started the clip of the Obamas, this lady in the audience went, "WOOOOOOOOO!" really loud. The whole theater laughed and applauded. It was a much needed moment of levity in the experience.

ย 

When I saw Furious 7, it was on opening night, and the whole crowd was 100% on board. When Dom and Shaw have their fight at the end, Shaw hits Dom in the face with whatever part of his car he ripped off to fight with. The lady next to me basically shrieked, "FUCK NOOOOO!" I started laughing, and she whispered, "Shit, I'm sorry. I was just into the movie." She was embarrassed, but it totally made the moment better for me.

ย 

And finally, when I saw 12 Cloverfield Ln, we got to the very end scene. For those of you that haven't seen it, it goes totally off the rails in the last 5 minutes of the movies (and ultimately, how people feel about that turn generally tends to be how they feel about the movie). During the climax, there's a brief pause in the action, and someone in that half-second, someone in the crowd yelled, "WHAT?" And it was amazing.

ย 

So, I do love people's reactions to things, especially when they are genuine like these.

• Like 10

Also, Paul made fun of kateacola, which means she's officially one of us now.

• Like 7

One particular heckling moment comes to mind. It was a midnight premiere of Spider-Man 3, the scene where Peter is at the night club and knocks MJ down.

ย 

An audience member yelled out, "Hit her again!"

ย 

Entire theater lost it.

• Like 3

"Why didn't they spell it F8TE?"

ย 

Because that would be "Fatete," Paul.

• Like 5

The movie heckling moment that sticks with me the most (if it is even considered heckling) is when I saw Grand Budapest Hotel and this older gentlemen loudly pointed out every. single. actor. in. the. movie. For example, when Bill Murray came on screen he said, "Oh! That's Bill Murray!" YES NO SHIT SHERLOCK THANK YOU

• Like 8

ย 

Be nice. She doesn't know what love is.

• Like 9

Maybe they'll play this song at Paul and Kate's wedding reception...

ย 

It cracks me up that Paul just assumes that kateacola will go along with marrying him.

• Like 9

The movie heckling moment that sticks with me the most (if it is even considered heckling) is when I saw Grand Budapest Hotel and this older gentlemen loudly pointed out every. single. actor. in. the. movie. For example, when Bill Murray came on screen he said, "Oh! That's Bill Murray!" YES NO SHIT SHERLOCK THANK YOU

Are you sure it wasn't Shitstain and Honeynutz?

ย 

qhREbS4.gif

ย 

ย 

ย 

I fucked up, and some of the captions overlap in a single frame, and Jimmy talks hella-fast, so it might be hard to read, but I'm late for work, so it will have to do.

ย 

ย 

• Like 7

When I was in college, i had a scholarship to write for the college newspaper. It wasn't much (somewhere between $200 and $500 a semester) and since my parents worked for the college, I got to go for free (it was a SWEET deal found at community colleges in Kansas at the time. I don't know if it is still in effect). I used this money in typical college fashion, I bought beer. Therefore I had to actually put in content to the college newspaper. Being a huge film and movie fan, I pitched that I write a movie review column. I got both locla theaters to agree to let me see movies for free and a video store to give me one release a week before it hit the shelves.

ย 

I say all of this to lead me to the best story about heckling. It was during one of my first trips to the movies as an "official" critic and I got the pleasure of watching I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. The theater is packed with older high school and college kids on a Friday night. Someone, I wish I knew because I would have been their best friend, decided to MST3K this movie. Brandy shows up, "oh hey it's the black girl-she's dead." Jack Black shows up "Oh it's a fat stoner-he's dead." It was wonderful.

ย 

Second best story, I am in Kansas City for a friend's wedding. They are a very religious couple and had a very low key reception. No dinner, no dancing, no bar, etc. So afterwards, my friend's boss (who I knew from college), the boss' wife (who I worked with), and my brother (who worked with my friend and therefore the boss) decided we wanted to go out and do something. We went to one of those theaters where you can order drinks and food. The only movie showing at the time we went was Taylor Lautner's Abducted, or whatever that was called. Where he was the son of a spy and other spies were after him. It was the four of us and one couple not connected to our group. We ALL started drinking and heckling the shit out of that movie.

• Like 6

ย 

It cracks me up that Paul just assumes that kateacola will go along with marrying him.

ย 

As I'm the leading expert on love on the forums, I would like to say, I think Paul would make a wonderful husband and Kate and Paul would make a fine match.

ย 

If I were to marry one of the hosts of HDTGM, he would be my pick.

ย 

34138161456_6bd6e6ab07_o.jpg

• Like 8

My favourite 'talking in a cinema' moment was after Synecdoche, New York, which is totally self-indulgent and unnecessarily complicated but also pretty fun for the most part. But after the final moment, the soundtrack goes silent, and on the screen says 'Written and Directed by Charlie Kaufman', and in that moment of silence, a woman two rows in front of me - she must have been in her seventies - turned to her friend and said, very loudly,

ย 

ย 

"What the fuck was that all about?"

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Perfect.

• Like 9

Can someone catch me up on why is everybody sharing their favourite cinema heckling moments? (So that I can make time to share mine ;) ) Thank you

• Like 3

LOL I loved it. I was not expecting a marriage proposal from Scheer this morning.

ย 

ย 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raNGeq3_DtM

ย 

Maybe they'll play this song at Paul and Kate's wedding reception...

LOLOL. love it.

ย 

but guys, I'm OK. I know what love is. I guess I did not properly express how I did not buy that Kate and Alex were in love, cause nothing in their letters made me understand that...to justify the long roadtrips to the mailbox.

ย 

ย 

Or maybe I am dead inside and really don't know what love is...lol

ย 

• Like 7

Can someone catch me up on why is everybody sharing their favourite cinema heckling moments? (So that I can make time to share mine ;) ) Thank you

We found the person who hasn't listened to the mini-ep yet :P

• Like 8

I haven't listened to it either! In fact, I'm still catching up on listening to the Lake House episode itself - 20 mins to go. I was just joining in on telling stories... ;)

• Like 4

Oh shit, y'all! Black Men Can't Jump in Hollywood is covering Fate of the Furious next week, too! It's one of my other favorite podcasts, and if y'all haven't given it a listen, I'd highly recommend checking their episode out next week (they come out midweek)

• Like 2

ย 

I'm/Was busy at work so I skimmed it. I heard the c&o where the kateacola proposal happened... I'll listen to all of it as soon as I get the chance ;):P

• Like 4

someone in the Explanation Hope asked how Paul felt about people talking/ heckling in the theater.

ย 

So, I do love people's reactions to things, especially when they are genuine like these.

ย 

I agree with this & what Scheer said... sometimes it is OK if it's genuine and/or actually funny.

ย 

I (very rarely) will have "loud" reactions while watching movies in the theaters. I don't like people talking or having their phones out in movies either, so I don't want to be one of those people...but there have been genuine times where I have not been able to control myself.

ย 

I saw the Phantom of the Opera (one with Rossum & Gerard Butler) in the theaters. And at the scene where she took off his mask to reveal his face, I kind of screamed lol. not too loud or anything but obviously heard since people in the theater were laughing at me.

ย 

And then recently when I saw Don't Breathe in the theaters...

ย 

the part where he pulls out that cup of jizz and the baster... I audibly was like "ohhhh noooo" cause I realized what was about to happen. I wasn't loud but my boyfriend and the people next to us and in front were chuckling so I think it was OK.

I could not help myself there, that was a gut reaction cause that was upsetting, lol

ย 

• Like 8

My favorite talking in the theatre moment was Scream 3. I don't think he was heckling just really into the movie. He kept yelling stereotypical horror reactions like "DON'T GO IN THERE!" It made a bad movie semi-enjoyable.

• Like 7

If I were to marry one of the hosts of HDTGM, he would be my pick.

ย 

I would pick Paul too. Paul F Tompkins, that is.

ย 

giphy.gif

• Like 10