🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 491 - Goo It

Stand-up comedian Rory Scovel returns to join Scott to talk about his new Netflix special “Rory Scovel Tries Stand-Up for the First Time,” what exactly is funny, blindfolded babysitting, and the farthest he’s ever walked. Then, salesman Justin Hoffman stops by to talk about his time as a songwriter for Aladdin and his last failed business. Plus, educator Caroline BelindaCarlisle arrives to tell us about her time teaching preschool through an audition process.

What a pleasantly whimsical episode. I really needed this.

• Like 3

Absolutely love D'Arcy Carden in the Good Place and she was delightful here. And I could honestly listen to Scott and Rory Scovel talk about a bunch of bullshit for hours on end.

• Like 4

For real though, "Rory Scovel Tries Standup for the First Time" is the GOAT name for a special.

• Like 1

Hey, ya know what? This episode was really great!

When are they going to start selling "Comedy Bang-Bang: The Show Where We Talk to Interesting People" t-shirts?

• Like 1

Hanford is always a pure joy.

A PURE JOY I TELLS YA!!!!!

I just had an idea for characters and a story (more like a challenge in this case): two overly political comedians (from both sides of the aisle) are put to the test to be funny without using any, or too much, political humor.

I know Scott's interviews are always making fun of the very idea of 'an interview' but on a second listen his questions for Rory seemed especially vapid and mocking, even for this! I found myself wondering if he Binged 'interesting questions' or 'conversation starters' and picked the worst as he went along just to amuse himself.

Maybe he just needed a place to vent his 'Scott Aukerman: terrible talkshow host' character since the TV show is over.

(This is my 'quotation mark' heavy post)

his questions for Rory seemed especially vapid and mocking

I love Scott when he's like this. When he can ask a nonsense question that gets the guests laughing. It worked well here with Rory, not so well with the Dropping the Soap guys, who just didn't seem into it.

My favourite examples are:

To the Silicon Valley cast - "So guys, Silicon Valley. Ones and zeros... you know?"

To the 22 Jump Street directors - "So, 22 Jump Street, it's a sequel. It's not a prequel, it's not... a squeakquel!?"

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this