🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 499 - The Freak

SNL’s Kyle Mooney joins Scott as well as Benny and Barrett Bachelor aka The Bachelor Brothers on this week’s Comedy Bang! Bang!, babe. They talk about Kyle’s new movie Brigsby Bear, The Bachelor Bros.’ new musical acts, and Kyle’s dream SNL cast. Then, young girl Rosie Jipps appears to tell us about her dreams of traveling the world and owning her own franchise with her mom. Plus, local high schooler Chris Fitzpatrick stops by to play a song he wrote for his summer school creative writing class. You don’t want to miss this episode, babe.

One of those rare episodes where the featured guest seems perplexed by the show's shtick, and the resulting awkwardness is palpable.

And you're not sure if the guest DOES get it and is just doing a bit, or if it's genuine bewilderment.

• Like 4

One of those rare episodes where the featured guest seems perplexed by the show's shtick, and the resulting awkwardness is palpable.

And you're not sure if the guest DOES get it and is just doing a bit, or if it's genuine bewilderment.

Wow, well now I'm motivated to finish up last week's bonus ep and get to this. Ever since I saw young Kyle Mooney as Norm MacDonald's frazzled nephew on his Sports Show, I knew he would be big. Since I've seen Kyle do a whole lot of irreverent counter-comedy type of thing and he seems to be buds with Bibby Moynihan, I'm going to assume he knew what was going on, but I'm very intrigued

There was a point before the first break where I started to think it was a bit, but the further things went along, it became clearer he had no idea what was going on. It's so weird. There's got to be a story behind this.

I think the saving grace was having the others around. Best part was when Paul tried throwing Fran off her game.

• Like 1

Yes... actually Kyle really annoyed me. He seemed to be taking everything very seriously and wouldn't play along with the jokes.

• Like 1

cant believe this show got cancelled just short of the 500th anniversary

• Like 1

Kyle is doing one of his characters from his sketch group Good Neighbors here. He definitely gets it. Fucking nailed it.

• Like 2

I think it's pretty obvious that Kyle's in on the joke.

• Like 3

Kyle was on the CBB TV show in 2014

Interpret that information however you like

• Like 2

Yes... actually Kyle really annoyed me. He seemed to be taking everything very seriously and wouldn't play along with the jokes.

Something about that just reminded me of the ep a couple years back with Paul Brittain and Jimmy Pardo that had a similar issue.

Such a fun show. Everyone hit their marks. I intended to listen to this as I was going to sleep but I was laughing so hard that I couldn't. "Daddy had to slap me!"

As many have said, it was tough to discern if Kyle was in on the joke. I'm pretty familiar with his comedy so it was hard for me to believe he wasn't. I suppose though, he could still be playing along but also still be perplexed by things like questions about the call sheet, being above the title, and Scott's other trademark "insider" talk. Paul Rust's giggling seemed to acknowledge Kyle's bewilderment.

• Like 1

So does everyone also think Kyle was accidentally playing a character at the end? How could he both play a character and not understand the gist of the show?

• Like 1

He understood the gist, just was not that good / kinda slow.

I think he understands that people play characters on the show. Clearly. But I don't think he understood many of Scott's gags. Or he did and is just bad at playing along, as someone else said.

I think he understands that people play characters on the show. Clearly. But I don't think he understood many of Scott's gags. Or he did and is just bad at playing along, as someone else said.

Nah, people play carrots on this show.

So does everyone also think Kyle was accidentally playing a character at the end? How could he both play a character and not understand the gist of the show?

This. I'm finally catching up on this and this thread had me tamping down my excitement for Kyle's appearance for no reason.

I'm not sure if people here actually are questioning whether Kyle got it, or if they are all in on some sick, twisted joke.

Joining in on the confusion here... if I hadn't seen Kyle's stuff before I would definitely think he was a dud square guest that had never heard the show. Toward the end he was flat out not participating and Scott had to blatantly drag him back into the conversation.

The interesting people were all awesome though, and now I'm excited to go check out the Gypsy Rose to see how spot on Rosie was.

Edit: OH man....

Sign in to follow this