🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays - Week 17 - The Lure

Planning on watching this tonight so I will stay out of the discussion until then.

• Like 4

Planning on watching this tonight so I will stay out of the discussion until then.

Me can tell Cinco hasern't watch it cause he still able to builded a caherint sntinceies

• Like 6

I also am hoping to watch this tonight. I got distracted by Game of Thrones last night so much that even after the episode ended I was out of commission to watch anything else lmao.

• Like 6

Okay, I gotta say, this was an unexpected pick, Fister. From the trailer I thought I had a sense of what was going to happen (Polish Splash the Musical maybe?) and it ended in sort of the way that I had expected (or as warned), but the route it took to get there was curious, to say the least.

I thought it was a really good looking movie, well shot and visually arresting - at least as much as a movie set in a sleazy, grimy environment could be - but the storytelling was the weakness. The screenplay was all over the place, often with scenes inserted for the sake of inserting them. And while I wanted the music to carry us through, it was a curious mix of narrative/choreographical music (the shopping song, for example) as well as the nightclub stuff.

The lyrics were so abstract so often that it lent an otherworldliness to the music. I think the idea of a modern movie about Sirens would definitely include music, although in this case the mermaids are actually beautiful young women-like creatures (not hideous monsters who trick sailors into thinking they're beautiful through their songs), and I loved that no one seemed particularly surprised that mermaids existed: I totally thought the tail reveal was going to be a climactic moment (see: Splash), but no, five minutes in, and tails! I'll stop here. I'm sure there are plenty of things we can all discuss rather than me writing an essay.

Fister, give us your take on it!

• Like 6

I agree with Cakebug's assessment regarding the script. There were things I wished they had spent a bit more time on, like who the band members were. I thought maybe the band members were a family and that the bassist was the older couple's son. However, there's a scene were Silver spies on Kinga giving a blow job (?) to someone - and later she walks out with the bassist. So they're not mother and son?

The poison scene - what was that about? Who was the other blonde lady who came to cure them? What does this have to do with anything? And then did the drummer leave Kinga for the other blonde lady?

Who exactly is Triton? Is he THE Triton? Did he bite the head off a bird on stage?

I liked most of the songs, although they seemed to be sprinkled into the movie like random music videos. Some of the songs had a Future Islands/Tegan and Sara vibe, which I dig.

• Like 7

Does anybody know why does the IMDB page for "The Lure" does NOT consider it a musical?

(I want to catch up with Musical Monday ASAP and discuss The Lure with you... Fingers crossed so I can do it tonight)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5278832/

• Like 4

I also am hoping to watch this tonight. I got distracted by Game of Thrones last night so much that even after the episode ended I was out of commission to watch anything else lmao.

Finally, an episode this season that didn't make me want to barf.

• Like 4

Agreed! Last week's was sooo good but that shit with Jorah and Sam made me regret eating dinner during that hour!

I will divert this discussion to Game of Thrones if no one stops me lol.

• Like 3

I've been watching GOT on HBO Now and have been disappointed with pretty much every episode since they outpaced the books. The plotting is a mess. I'm committed to seeing the series through, like a bad mystery novel, but they are wrapping things up more like Lost (or Battlestar Galactica, The Wire, etc.) than Mad Men or the Sopranos.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet, so I'm hoping for some kind of turnaround.

• Like 3

Agreed! Last week's was sooo good but that shit with Jorah and Sam made me regret eating dinner during that hour!

I will divert this discussion to Game of Thrones if no one stops me lol.

JESUS FUCKING MERCY YOU ANIMALS USE SPOILER TAGS

• Like 4

I've been watching GOT on HBO Now and have been disappointed with pretty much every episode since they outpaced the books. The plotting is a mess. I'm committed to seeing the series through, like a bad mystery novel

I binged seasons 1-5 and have seen seasons 6 and 7 live as they air...I see your "the plot is a mess" point, IMHO (Without reading the books) I think they have stuck to the show's formula and double down with "If it aint broke dont fix it" My fear is that nothing really major MAJOR happens this season and ithey will really start tying the loose ends next season

I stopped watching Game of Thrones years ago...so spoil whatever you want ;)/>

As for The Lure, include me with Cake and Tom. If anything, I liked the first part of the movie (the more original part), than the 2nd half - which just became an updated version of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Little Mermaid," with added emphasis on the body horror aspects inherent in the story.

• Like 5

Well, I'm all caught up with GoT to the end of last season, so PLEASE spoilertag discussion. I keep meaning to catch up, but I have found myself in need of watching strange mermaid gore musicals instead.

• Like 1

I stopped watching Game of Thrones years ago...so spoil whatever you want ;)/>

As for The Lure, include me with Cake and Tom. If anything, I liked the first part of the movie (the more original part), than the 2nd half - which just became an updated version of Hans Christian Anderson's "The Little Mermaid," with added emphasis on the body horror aspects inherent in the story.

Yeah, the second half had really interesting potential with the introduction of Triton and Golden's moving over to sing with his band, only to be told that she needs practice, which then demotes Triton to plot-point guy (you need to eat him or you'll turn into foam) rather than exploring this interesting world of land-based merpeople.

G+S (not Gilbert and Sullivan) also say they'll stick in Warsaw for a bit until they swim to America. What's their plan there? And how did they learn Polish on the beaches in Bulgaria? Is that some reference to the Polish diaspora that we don't get?

• Like 5

I agree with Cakebug's assessment regarding the script. There were things I wished they had spent a bit more time on, like who the band members were. I thought maybe the band members were a family and that the bassist was the older couple's son. However, there's a scene were Silver spies on Kinga giving a blow job (?) to someone - and later she walks out with the bassist. So they're not mother and son?

The poison scene - what was that about? Who was the other blonde lady who came to cure them? What does this have to do with anything? And then did the drummer leave Kinga for the other blonde lady?

Who exactly is Triton? Is he THE Triton? Did he bite the head off a bird on stage?

I liked most of the songs, although they seemed to be sprinkled into the movie like random music videos. Some of the songs had a Future Islands/Tegan and Sara vibe, which I dig.

You pretty much summed up my questions/reactions to this movie. I couldn't not figure out the dynamic of the band at all. After the dumping of the bodies over the bridge (which...did they think they were dead? From being punched) the fighting seemed very 'abusive family' like the woman was trying to protect her son from the husband. But the blowjob thing confused me.

I liked the dark hair mermaid (Golden?) a lot. I think she had a great creepy vibe. I would have liked to spend more time with her just stalking people.

The redhead one just confused me. I get that she cut off her legs but her upper half still had those crazy teeth? (also have questions if the fins will turn into legs on the person that they transplanted them onto) If she had killed the bassist at his wedding, would her fins have magically grown back? Why would you cut off your legs for someone who dumped your body over a bridge?

Also how can mermaids smoke? Do they have human lungs?

I've never watched GoT. I think its too late for me.

• Like 7

Also how can mermaids smoke? Do they have human lungs?

This is the most important question asked yet.

• Like 8

G+S (not Gilbert and Sullivan) also say they'll stick in Warsaw for a bit until they swim to America. What's their plan there? And how did they learn Polish on the beaches in Bulgaria? Is that some reference to the Polish diaspora that we don't get?

Oh yeah, didn't they say they were in Warsaw? But isn't Warsaw a landlocked city? I don't understand how the sisters ended up on the "beaches" of Warsaw.

• Like 4

The redhead one just confused me. I get that she cut off her legs but her upper half still had those crazy teeth? (also have questions if the fins will turn into legs on the person that they transplanted them onto) If she had killed the bassist at his wedding, would her fins have magically grown back? Why would you cut off your legs for someone who dumped your body over a bridge?

No, I don't think her fishtail would have grown back. She had to kill him so she could live.

• Like 6

No, I don't think her fishtail would have grown back. She had to kill him so she could live.

I think I'm confusing Disney mermaids and magic with monster mermaids and surgery.

• Like 7

This is the perfect opportunity for me to ask my favorite stupid question. Do you guys think mermaid's fingers get pruney?

• Like 7

Oh yeah, didn't they say they were in Warsaw? But isn't Warsaw a landlocked city? I don't understand how the sisters ended up on the "beaches" of Warsaw.

I only heard Warsaw mentioned once (when Golden ate the guy in the car and it's on the news), but I assume it's the Vistula River (thanks, Wikipedia) - http://www.warszawaguide.info/Langs%20flodenEng/index.htm - so I assume they came up the river from the Baltic Sea. But then again they said they were in Bulgaria, which is on the Black Sea, way far away from Warsaw.

How do they plan to swim to America from there? It isn't at all convenient...

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Vistula+River/@44.9579657,15.2443443,4.64z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x46fd6a4ea9bad70f:0xad87815e023035d!8m2!3d51.9893695!4d20.059103

When they report about dude being eaten in the car, they say:

- his neck and heart were removed.

- It wasn't foxes or dogs (!)

- there were human prints

- there were the tracks of a large serpent to the water

But in this world everyone cheers when they see the girls' tails, so it's known that mermaids exist. And when the lady cop arrests Golden, she says that she knows she ate that dude. Why doesn't anyone say 'oh, it's probably one of those man-eating mermaids who are around in the river'?

• Like 6

JESUS FUCKING MERCY YOU ANIMALS USE SPOILER TAGS

THAT'S NOT EVEN A SPOILER COME ON

(is it?)

• Like 2

This is the perfect opportunity for me to ask my favorite stupid question. Do you guys think mermaid's fingers get pruney?

It is an excellent question, given that there don't seem to be any other evolutionary modification to their bodies aside from their tails. They don't have webbed fingers, or gills, although a great deal of time is taken to explain that when they're in human forms they don't have vaginas, but when they have their tails they have a vagina on the tail. So I would say that while the pruney fingers would appear to be a human trait, they also have human form (on the top) the entire time we see them.

• Like 6

THAT'S NOT EVEN A SPOILER COME ON

(is it?)

Heck yes it is. Even 'this season is a mess' is a damn spoiler! I'll catch up soon but have pity on those of us without HBO!

• Like 1