🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 170 - Bratz

Comedian Kate Berlant (555, The Comedians) joins Paul, June, and Jason to talk about the 2007 live-action teen comedy Bratz based on the popular children’s toy. They’ll dive into the futuristic fashion of the Bratz, the deaf boy, Jon Voight’s fake nose and ears, and so much more.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

How dare you Paul, Chet Haze was in this.

What does Meredith’s absentee mother do for a living? Their house, her clothes, and her two mega parties don’t seem feasible on a high school principal’s salary.

And I had an issue with the scholarship dealie too. For the reason you guys mentioned, there’s no way Chloe wouldn’t have been offered a sports scholarship when the movie goes out of its way to show she’s a superhuman soccer player; she launches the ball onto the field via circus back flip.

But in the end it appears the Bratz become a girl group on MTV, so none of them go to college? What was the point? Also, college, weren’t they high school juniors? They skip from the beginning of freshmen year to two years later, so the beginning of junior year? Because September of freshmen year to the September-ish of senior year is three years. This movie had a lot of finality for junior year.

And really, what American school sports team would cut a star player because she dares to spend time with friends outside the team’s practice hours, or sit in the team’s designated courtyard clique spot? Where was their coach to nix this? Does the team just make all the decisions?

• Like 7

I genuinely worry that Talking Bratz may inadvertently cross over with Talkin' Tang.

Also, Big Bratz would make a great T-Shirt.

• Like 2

Just refreshed my podcast app to get the Bratz episode: love the new logo guys! The 'Junior' one was long-overdue for retirement.

• Like 12

i have no correction or omission for this pile of crap. this is the fastest i've ever turned against a movie. 3 minutes in and i was furious with it. and it only got worse from there. i really thought it was going to get panned by everyone so i was shocked paul said he liked it. then i realized he missed half of it. that's probably the only way to get anything from this movie ... just skim over it in a sleepy haze at 1 in the morning as you watch it with your mam.

9% on RT!! that's way too high. this is a stinker. i enjoyed GPK more. I said it in the mini but this, for me, is the worst movie covered by HDTGM. i hated it. i told my younger sister i watched it and she gave me a look of pure disappointment. when i told her it was for the podcast she asked "why do you put yourself through this?" .. this podcast is the only reason anyone should ever watch this movie. that or to torture your worst enemy. i bet this movie is why the doves cried

• Like 3

Can we all agree that the actor playing Dylan is not only NOT deaf, but the clarity of his speech changes. When we first meet Dylan, it's when he bumps into Yasmin. He starts to talk with this "accent" and then seconds later, and in the same scene, he begins speaking with full clarity. WTF!

In fact I stripped out the audio and just listen for your self:

https://soundcloud.c...from-deaf-dylan

Vi0b9Ra.jpg

Oh and I love all the details about Dylan from this Bratz Fan Page.

dFdWgeH.png

• Like 2

Coming to download the episode when I see the new logo:

0fzTh7.gif

• Like 11

Tall nerd describes Jade's science experiment as "a Bernoulli effect". That's not even remotely what is happening. Bernoulli's principle is about water and gas flow due to pressure differentials. What I believe her experiment, minus the fireworks, is elephant's toothpaste. It's a pretty standard science experiment for kids classroom. It's an exothermic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide when combined with water, yeast and dish soap.

Those aren't the ingredients she used though. Jade used Magnesium, sodium salt, percholate, strontium nitrate and, I guess, bling. I assumed they just picked a bunch of sciencey sounding words but I googled them anyway. They are common ingredients in pyrotechnics and flash powders. I'm not sure what adding the colored liquids is supposed to do, but the idea of fireworks being the end result of her combination isn't as ridiculous as I thought. Still not Bernoulli's principle though.

I really loved this being a studio episode. I like the live episodes of course, but I missed the studio episodes.

• Like 7

Tall nerd describes Jade's science experiment as "a Bernoulli effect". That's not even remotely what is happening. Bernoulli's principle is about water and gas flow due to pressure differentials. What I believe her experiment, minus the fireworks, is elephant's toothpaste. It's a pretty standard science experiment for kids classroom. It's an exothermic decomposition of hydrogen peroxide when combined with water, yeast and dish soap.

I only knew about the "Bernoulli's effect" regarding how airplanes get their lift, so I didn't understand what that had to do with the fireworks.

• Like 6

I have a few quick points -

- There was a guy that walked through the food court with a big baker carts of pies. He got knocked over by some kids. That's where the weird cream pies came from (side note - i have never seen a cream pie in the real world. Is that pie people can order?)

- The deaf kid talked with sign language once and then 'lip read' the rest of the time. But people didn't really make an effort to talk to him or facing him, and I'm pretty sure he responded to people that didn't even speak in his direction. I'm sure they didn't want to dwell too much on it, but man, as a deaf guy, he would be really lost and confused.

- Yasmin for sure had no friends right?

- We didn't touch on Jade randomly tutoring the football kids for a scene, but it made me laugh that the kid was really excited to get a C+. Also why was he such a dick about the science nerd talking to Jade? Wasn't she in his clique? Shouldn't she be talking to him?

- Janel Parrish (Jade) must have gone through a phase where she wanted to be a singer, because she tried singing on Pretty Little Liars too for a second. I don't know if she still does though. She was on Dancing with the Stars which I guess would support June's dancer theory.

mona_sings_fiercely.gif

Coming to download the episode when I see the new logo:

I love the new picture!

• Like 6

Is it possible that the reason for all the servers quitting at once is because their boss (Chloe's Mom) is such a fucking disaster that the day before a huge gig as the caterer for a MTV Super Sweet Sixteen bash she has apparently done nothing to prepare for it?!? She wakes up from her day-drinking stupor and freaks out about how nothing is ready, and all I could think was, "Yeah, why isn't anything ready? How come your daughter and her friends need to bail you out? You're a mess! Get it together, lady!"

• Like 11

The new logo isn't showing on my computer, only my phone, so in case not everyone sees it...

gPCU14k.png

• Like 13

The new logo isn't showing on my computer, only my phone, so in case not everyone sees it...

gPCU14k.png

I love it, as well! It perfectly encapsulates the show.

• Like 5

I have a few quick points -

- There was a guy that walked through the food court with a big baker carts of pies. He got knocked over by some kids. That's where the weird cream pies came from (side note - i have never seen a cream pie in the real world. Is that pie people can order?

Coconut cream pie, banana cream pie, Boston cream pie...

• Like 6

paul posted the new logo on his instagram account last week so i'm guessing some of ye don't follow him which means ye probably missed this post from last night ...

G4M0vib.png

so many questions ... mainly .. was paul one of the clowns terrorizing jasons neighborhood in the van??

• Like 10

Coconut cream pie, banana cream pie, Boston cream pie...

Yeah but those all have a layer of flavor under the cream. I'm talking about just a pie shell full of what looks to be just whipped cream.

• Like 7

Yeah but those all have a layer of flavor under the cream. I'm talking about just a pie shell full of what looks to be just whipped cream.

Oh those only exist in movies.

• Like 9

so many questions ... mainly .. was paul one of the clowns terrorizing jasons neighborhood in the van??

I feel like the main question should be, "Has Jason seen this? And are they still friends?"

• Like 3

I feel like the main question should be, "Has Jason seen this? And are they still friends?"

You don't make new logos with people who aren't your friends.

• Like 1

I only knew about the "Bernoulli's effect" regarding how airplanes get their lift, so I didn't understand what that had to do with the fireworks.

When they said it, I was worried maybe I didn't know what the Bernoulli principle was. Went to Google and, no, the writer of Bratz is wrong not me.

• Like 6

2 questions:

1)

meredith, gets yasmin to pull out of the talent show by showing her something from her flash drive. she says chloe wouldn't want the world finding out things went missing when chloe's mother worked for her family. i thought first she was saying the mother was stealing from them but at the talent show she accuses chloe of stealing a doll. but it turns out that it was meredith's little sister took it. so my question is ... what was on the flash drive? what made yasmin believe meredith?

and it was resolved so quickly. after she accuses chloe of stealing, in front of the whole the whole school community (to which her mother has zero reaction btw), chloe denies it, the little sister walks out on stage and confesses to it and before you can even blink they've moved on .. this was a major plot point and that's it? .. there are no repercussions? chloe doesn't need a scholarship. she's going to clean up in her defamation of character lawsuit.

2)

why did the school have so much security? what happened in the years before the girls started at the school?

• Like 2

I don't know how I feel about the new logo. It looks better and I love everyone's faces. But I also miss the silliness of the old one.

This is going to take me awhile to process.

• Like 7

The gang talked about how they wished the actress playing Yasmin was a Latina. According to the internet, the actress, Nathalia Ramos, was born in Spain to a Spanish father and an Australian mother, who has a "Sephardic Jewish background." Maybe that explains Yasmin's "bubbie," which is a term for a Jewish grandmother. And maybe it also explains why they butchered the song La Cucaracha. The third line is "porque no tiene, porque le falta" - but the duo repeats the last phrase and sings "porque le falta, porque le falta." I'm going to blame this on the mariachi band living at their house. They should've corrected them! In addition, I'm pretty sure bubbie sings nonsense words for the last line "las dos patitas de atras."

• Like 6