🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 20 The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

I always suspected that was what was going on inside a football team's locker room, we watched....

best_little_whorehouse_in_texas.jpg

• Like 3

I know I said this on letterboxd but I have to say it again. Fuck you Dom DeLuise!

You have this guy who is pretending to be Texan, wears a girdle to hide his gut, stuffs his pants, and wears a wig and none of that comes back in anyway to hurt him. The scene is funny with the parallel of what he's preaching and what he's doing, but I was hoping that Burt Reynolds would use that some how to expose him and discredit him in some way. Nope. He takes off his wig and punches him, yet he goes on to be successful while being a big phony. It just doesn't seem right.

• Like 8

Kind of bouncing off of what Cam just brought up, I enjoyed how this movie illustrated how life is often unfair and how it's the fleeting things in life that make it bearable. It's sex, or a song, or a friend, or a smoke, or a drink, or threatening the pompous television watch dog on national television. It's those moments that make the injustices in the world tolerable.

I like how it doesn't necessarily have a happy ending, but they themselves can still live happily ever after.

• Like 8

Kind of bouncing off of what Cam just brought up, I enjoyed how this movie illustrated how life is often unfair and how it's the fleeting things in life that make it bearable. It's sex, or a song, or a friend, or a smoke, or a drink, or threatening the pompous television watch dog on national television. It's those moments that make the injustices in the world tolerable.

I like how it doesn't necessarily have a happy ending, but they themselves can still live happily ever after.

I agree. The movie surprisingly had a lot of interesting things to say. Like how this hundred year old institution of this small town was never a problem and people never minded until it got attention. Or how the people in the town knew what was going on but were okay with it for the good it was doing the community and it was the outsiders, the Houstonians, that were the ones against it and wanting to shut it down. The accurate depiction of politics in a cynical way of just blowing in the wing and siding with whatever curries them favor. The power of the medium of television and the people on it. There is a lot of little like things like this that the movie just nailed about life as well.

• Like 6

I know I said this on letterboxd but I have to say it again. Fuck you Dom DeLuise!

You have this guy who is pretending to be Texan, wears a girdle to hide his gut, stuffs his pants, and wears a wig and none of that comes back in anyway to hurt him. The scene is funny with the parallel of what he's preaching and what he's doing, but I was hoping that Burt Reynolds would use that some how to expose him and discredit him in some way. Nope. He takes off his wig and punches him, yet he goes on to be successful while being a big phony. It just doesn't seem right.

I agree that it would have been more satisfying to see Thorpe get his comeuppance, but maybe the filmmakers decided to stay closer to what happened to the real tv reporter, Marvin Zindler, who helped close down the real Chicken Ranch? From Wikipedia:

The closing [of the Chicken Ranch] did not go well with the sheriff of Fayette County, Jim T. Flournoy, who later attacked Zindler in a fight that left Zindler with two fractured ribs, along with a snatched toupee. Reportedly, Flournoy waved the hairpiece in the air as if it were a prized enemy scalp and threw it in the street.
  • Like 7

I agree that it would have been more satisfying to see Thorpe get his comeuppance, but maybe the filmmakers decided to stay closer to what happened to the real tv reporter, Marvin Zindler, who helped close down the real Chicken Ranch? From Wikipedia:

Wow! I didn't know this was based on a true story.

BTW - Here's my hot take on brothels: two consenting adults can have sex for whatever reason they like. A person can want to have sex with someone because they love them, or because of the way they cut their hair, the way they walk, the cereal they eat, or for an exchange of goods and services. As long as both parties agree on the terms, who gives a fuck? Lord knows that brothels are a healthier and safer alternative for everyone involved.

I'm really glad this movie agrees with me :)

• Like 9

Slime in the ice machine!

I am obsessed with the celebrity status of local news people. I would love to see a documentary about this. Basically the idea that a person can be famous and respected then drive 20 minutes away and nobody knows or cares who they are is insane to me. Anyway, I use to work with a guy from Houston. We were talking about this one day and he told me about this guy. Apparently his catch phrase was "slime in the ice machine" and had a jingle and everything. I had no idea that he was the inspiration for this story and that's based on a real incident. Wow! I think I like this movie more now.

• Like 7

@Cams, have fun going down the Wiki black hole for the Chicken Ranch. So much of the story is true. I read that there was a tradition of A&M freshmen visiting the Chicken Ranch as an "initiation," so the whole football team story isn't so farfetched.

• Like 5

Slime in the ice machine!

I am obsessed with the celebrity status of local news people. I would love to see a documentary about this. Basically the idea that a person can be famous and respected then drive 20 minutes away and nobody knows or cares who they are is insane to me. Anyway, I use to work with a guy from Houston. We were talking about this one day and he told me about this guy. Apparently his catch phrase was "slime in the ice machine" and had a jingle and everything. I had no idea that he was the inspiration for this story and that's based on a real incident. Wow! I think I like this movie more now.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 5

@Cams, have fun going down the Wiki black hole for the Chicken Ranch. So much of the story is true. I read that there was a tradition of A&M freshmen visiting the Chicken Ranch as an "initiation," so the whole football team story isn't so farfetched.

You know I will. Speaking of A&M, what is an Aggie?

• Like 4

You know I will. Speaking of A&M, what is an Aggie?

A&M is an agricultural school. From wiki: "The nickname "Aggie" was once common at land-grant or "Ag" (agriculture) schools in many states." (A&M was started as The Agricultural and Mechanical School of Texas.)

However, Texas A&M needs to work on their hurricane preparation. This was from 2005 (I believe).

stormprotection-orig.jpg

• Like 5

BTW - Here's my hot take on brothels: two consenting adults can have sex for whatever reason they like. A person can want to have sex with someone because they love them, or because of the way they cut their hair, the way they walk, the cereal they eat, or for an exchange of goods and services. As long as both parties agree on the terms, who gives a fuck? Lord knows that brothels are a healthier and safer alternative for everyone involved.

Is it a hot take though? I also agree with the above. Some go as far to say that brothels provide a safer environment for voluntary sex workers, as they don't have to resort to solicitation on the streets or have to rely on pimps.

I was a bit nervous about this movie pick at first. I didn't know much about it going in (except for the Simpsons reference) and I was afraid it might be sexist or mean. But I liked it more than I expected to, mostly due to Dolly Parton. She was so charming even when she was just standing around or writing checks with her pink feather pen. I couldn't take my eyes off her whenever she was on screen. And God bless for HD, for without it I wouldn't have been able to make out the glitter on Dolly's cleavage.

• Like 7

Is it a hot take though? I also agree with the above. Some go as far to say that brothels provide a safer environment for voluntary sex workers, as they don't have to resort to solicitation on the streets or have to rely on pimps.

I was a bit nervous about this movie pick at first. I didn't know much about it going in (except for the Simpsons reference) and I was afraid it might be sexist or mean. But I liked it more than I expected to, mostly due to Dolly Parton. She was so charming even when she was just standing around or writing checks with her pink feather pen. I couldn't take my eyes off her whenever she was on screen. And God bless for HD, for without it I wouldn't have been able to make out the glitter on Dolly's cleavage.

Maybe it's not a "hot take" exactly. I'm just saying, regulate it and make it safe, that's all. I'm sick of people sticking their "morality" in other people's business. ;) If you don't like it, don't go.

I thought the movie was pretty good. Of the two movies about prostitution we've done this round, this is definitely the superior movie. I was amazed that I already owned two of the songs ("Hard Candy Christmas" and "I Will Always Love You") so that was cool. I also thought Burt was really good. I think I've only see him *star* in a couple of movies - this and Smokey and the Bandit - and I have to say, I get it. Had Harrison Ford turned down Han Solo, I think I would have liked to see Reynolds in that part. He's got the right swagger - although that high pitched, tittering laugh he sometimes does would have to go.

• Like 5

He's got the right swagger - although that high pitched, tittering laugh he sometimes does would have to go.

[media='']

[/media]
  • Like 5

I definitely agree that Dolly made the movie. She took any potentially dark element and made it charming. I wound up watching this in two parts and maybe that hurt things but this wasn't one of my favorites. I'm sure with repeat viewings it would soften my opinion and I'd grow to really like it but first time out was "meh". I kind of saw it as "look how daring we can be! Look how shocking!" I certainly don't remember Jim Nabors ever swearing in any other TV or movie role. I guess maybe a better description would be a paint-by-numbers deal. I will try and read up on the stage musical and what changes were made for the movie. This ran for several years on Broadway so I'm sure I'm in the minority on not caring much for it.

Cameron H. mentioned Smokey and the Bandit and this seems to me like the Bandit transplanted. In Bandit 2 he and Frog have definite relationship troubles caused by his ego and wanting to hold on to glory. I see the sheriff in Whorehouse as Bandit 1 & 2 combined. I didn't believe his turn at the end. I thought he was going to reopen the Chicken Ranch when he said he didn't care what people thought. The ending promoted itself as everyone got what they wanted but the girls certainly didn't and neither did Jewel. (I honestly thought the actress playing Jewel was Esther Rolle from Good Times.)

• Like 6

I honestly thought the actress playing Jewel was Esther Rolle from Good Times.)

I recognized her from Billy Madison, lol

• Like 7

I think this was my favorite song in the movie:

http://youtu.be/Dt-mL2wClx8

Think that is my favorite as well.

But my favorite lyric in all the songs is probably "stop that copulation, loveless copulation" in "Texas has a Whorehouse in it" haha

• Like 5

Like tom said, I wasn't sure what to expect. Since I have never heard of the movie before now.

I also enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Looking at the IMDB page it says some other actors were considered for Ed Earl and Miss Mona:

Other people that were up for Burt Reynolds and Dolly Parton's roles in the film included Willie Nelson for the role of Ed Earl Dodd and Barbara Mandrell and Crystal Gayle for the role Miss Mona Stangley.

Kris Kristofferson and Gene Hackman were both considered to play Ed Earl.

I don't think I would've enjoyed nearly as much if Willie Nelson or Gene Hackman were Ed Earl.

And especially if someone else was Miss Mona.. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed very much if there was no Dolly.

• Like 5

Maybe it's not a "hot take" exactly. I'm just saying, regulate it and make it safe, that's all. I'm sick of people sticking their "morality" in other people's business. ;) If you don't like it, don't go.

I thought the movie was pretty good. Of the two movies about prostitution we've done this round, this is definitely the superior movie. I was amazed that I already owned two of the songs ("Hard Candy Christmas" and "I Will Always Love You") so that was cool. I also thought Burt was really good. I think I've only see him *star* in a couple of movies - this and Smokey and the Bandit - and I have to say, I get it. Had Harrison Ford turned down Han Solo, I think I would have liked to see Reynolds in that part. He's got the right swagger - although that high pitched, tittering laugh he sometimes does would have to go.

Agreed. People are quick to vilify sex workers, but the sex trade exists because there's a demand for it. It was nice to see that the movie didn't slut-shame the girls.

Btw, what exactly is a hard candy Christmas?

Think that is my favorite as well.

But my favorite lyric in all the songs is probably "stop that copulation, loveless copulation" in "Texas has a Whorehouse in it" haha

I keep singing "Texas has a whorehouse in it."

My favorite song is probably A Little Bitty Pissant Country Place and my favorite dance number was the locker room dancing. What is that type of dancing called? I was afraid the mens' kneecaps would fall off from rotating so much like friggin' knee windmills.

I don't think I would've enjoyed nearly as much if Willie Nelson or Gene Hackman were Ed Earl.

And especially if someone else was Miss Mona.. I probably wouldn't have enjoyed very much if there was no Dolly.

I can't imagine anyone else in those teeny tiny snap-away Japanese slingshots. Did anyone else wonder if they were thongs? Just me then?

• Like 5

Like I said, I watched this a couple of weeks (maybe a month or so back) for The Canon and loved it then (although I wasn't surprised or disappointed that 9 to 5 "won" in that match up. It is the superior film).

Revisiting it for this, without a critical eye, just for enjoyment, and to talk about it with ya'll, it was just a delight. It's a weird mixture of 3 different types of movies, the old fashioned musical (which was on it's way out), the "country" movie (exemplified by movies like Smokey & The Bandit, Every Which Way But Loose, Any Which Way You Can, Cannonball Run, etc), and the sex comedy. It SHOULDN'T work, and yet, it does.

I honestly had forgotten that Hard Candy Christmas comes from this movie, which does take place at the holidays (the rare Thanksgiving movie!). Last year I was part of this mess of a community theater show. It was like a Christmas revue/worst holiday Special ever called A Christmas Spectacular (It was also of questionable legality with some of what they were doing). This older gentlemen and I go out for coffee at least once a week and we refer to it as "A Christmas Disaster".

So anyways, Hard Candy Christmas was performed in that show as almost an upbeat like thing, and yet this movie shows the meaning is much more somber then you would think a "Christmas" song should be.

I'm really curious what Kris Kristofferson would have brought to the role. He would have had more songs that's for sure.

• Like 5

I can't imagine anyone else in those teeny tiny snap-away Japanese slingshots. Did anyone else wonder if they were thongs? Just me then?

I'm now imagining Willie Nelson in those...

200.gif#16-grid1

Glad it was Burt instead.

• Like 5

I'm guessing a 'Hard Candy Christmas" would be something kind of sweet, but hard to swallow. Like, it's Christmas, and we're happy about that, but things aren't all that great either.

As for the potential of a Kris Kristofferson/ Dolly pairing, I just saw it in Joyful Noise and it was...not good. Maybe it's just because Kris is old now, but his heavy-breathing, talk singing was creepy and off-putting. I shall share it with you now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QJ5e1N1aIc

ETA: For those who read my Letterboxd review, the dude in this scene is supposed to be her grandson and had just looked Dolly square in the eyes with tenderness and called her his "gorgeous grandma." It was really upsetting...

ETA 2: Kris is dead in this scene.

• Like 4