🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 173.5 - Minisode 173.5

How to take care of your stressed out wife, notes on a movie from someone who works at an actual prison, and much more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Virtuosity, Blake J. Harris interviews director Brett Leonard about Virtuosity, and the Movie Bitches review The Emoji Movie. Plus, you’ll find out which horror movie we will be covering next!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

Wow actually referenced in the episode description, my life is complete.

• Like 12

Wow actually referenced in the episode description, my life is complete.

Congrats!

If you support segregation, you can get mentioned in several mini eps, right Cameron?

• Like 4

I think my dad's favorite movie was Forbidden Planet (not sure if it still is), and he made me watch it after I'd seen Terminator 2, Aliens, and Jurassic Park. I didn't care for it then, but I learned to appreciate it in my teens, and now it's one of my favorites too. So there's hope I'd say.

• Like 4

I think my dad's favorite movie was Forbidden Planet (not sure if it still is), and he made me watch it after I'd seen Terminator 2, Aliens, and Jurassic Park. I didn't care for it then, but I learned to appreciate it in my teens, and now it's one of my favorites too. So there's hope I'd say.

I had that same experience with the original Planet of the Apes

• Like 5

I had to watch several episodes of Thomas the Train this weekend because my nephew, who is two (and has GARBAGE taste) kept saying "Watch Thomas? Watch Thomas?" I agree with Paul, that train sucks.

He also really loves

. And when you put it on he'll go "OH BOY DUCKS!" For some reason, I hate this one less because I make jokes with mother (my sister) about how that mother duck should be reported to CPS.

I guess what I'm saying is Thomas isn't even fun bad. But five little ducks is totally HDTGM bad.

ETA: Also congrats to us on being the best Earwolf forum. Suck it, Comedy Bang Bang.

• Like 8

He also really loves

. And when you put it on he'll go "OH BOY DUCKS!" For some reason, I hate this one less because I make jokes with mother (my sister) about how that mother duck should be reported to CPS.

37145346243_b5d1216972_h.jpg

I agree. This mother duck's sadness is totally self-inflicted. Speaking as a parent, maybe do something to look out for your ducklings besides going "quack quack quack."

GET IT TOGETHER, MOTHERDUCKERS!

• Like 11

37145346243_b5d1216972_h.jpg

I agree. This mother duck's sadness is totally self-inflicted. Speaking as a parent, maybe do something to look out for your ducklings besides going "quack quack quack."

Also she doesn't notice any of the ducks are missing until all are gone. That's just shoddy ducking. Get it together.

I'm totally stealing "motherducker" and passing it off as my own.

• Like 6

Everyone pack it up this is the greatest ending to any comment.

• Like 9

My son is not into Thomas -- never was. The most annoying show that he liked was probably Dinosaur Train or Clifford, but I'm sure there is another that I could come up with. He only gets to watch a little bit of television anyways.

• Like 2

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.)

I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema:

Thomas_And_The_Magic_Railroad-1.jpg

P.S. I also don't hate the Star Wars prequels. On their own, I certainly wouldn't consider them to be classics, but I think they're fine as a part of the whole. And, seriously, the first 30 mins of A New Hope - where you follow Threepio and Artoo through the desert - is boring as fuck. It's just as bad as any Trade Negotiation in Phantom Menace - maybe worse.

Wooden acting? Yup. Silly dialog? Yup. Uneven pacing? Yup. Convenient simplistic storytelling? Yup, yup, yup.

My point is: I love the OT - I always will - but let's not kid ourselves into believing they're good movies. They're great, but by no means "good."

• Like 5

As for music, kids are pretty much a mirror to their parents until teenage years. Except that they take up a love for some of the weirdest stuff. I mean, my wife and I have subjected our kids to hundreds of different songs from different genres. But the one song that my son wants to listen to over and over is...

Wimoweh by the Weavers.

Specifically that version. "Mbube" or "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" don't do anything for him.

• Like 2

As for music, kids are pretty much a mirror to their parents until teenage years. Except that they take up a love for some of the weirdest stuff. I mean, my wife and I have subjected our kids to hundreds of different songs from different genres. But the one song that my son wants to listen to over and over is...

Wimoweh by the Weavers.

Specifically that version. "Mbube" or "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" don't do anything for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77VUYPVMtWY

My eldest son’s favorite songs are:

” - Iggy POP

” - Ray Parker Jr.

” - The Beatles

My 1 year old likes anything from The Seventies. Even when he was nothing more than a lump, it has always soothed him. Anything from The Carpenters to Sabbath. Kind of weird, actually. He has no time for any other decade.

• Like 4

To be fair, "The Passenger" is a truly great song.

Oh, I’m not complaining. ;)

My nephew is about three and I don't know what his mother listens to with him. But when I turn on the Alt-Rock station he yells 'MUSIC!' because its what my brother listens to. He hasn't requested any songs with me, but he does love to sing Wheels on the Bus over and over and over again.

As for tv shows, he's obsessed with Paw Patrol and Blaze.

• Like 2

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.)

I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema:

That would be Pauls most episode ever.

• Like 3

There's so much to unpack here, but I'd like to start by asking, what the hell kind of train has a jaws-style frontloader, and why is it chasing Thomas?

Also, it's Thomas' first movie, and on the poster, they have him fleeing for his life? I think this is proof that even the people who made the show hated "Thomas the Tank Engine."

• Like 6

My son is eldest son has pretty much aged out of watching Thomas (although he still likes to play with the trains and stuff). I've never really had a problem with it. They're just cute little bits of nonsense. (Although the non-CG ones are pretty creep-a-rooney.) I really don't have a problem with any of his shows. They are what they are. They're not for me. However, that being said, I would totally be open to HDTGM doing this psychotic piece of cinema: Thomas_And_The_Magic_Railroad-1.jpg

i've seen this because of Baldwin and Fonda...

• Like 8

There's so much to unpack here, but I'd like to start by asking, what the hell kind of train has a jaws-style frontloader, and why is it chasing Thomas?

That’s Diesel 10, bro!

diesel10_movie.jpg

He’s always causing confusion and delay...

• Like 7

That’s Diesel 10, bro!

So of course I just spent a good 15 minutes reading his wiki page. He's almost killed people/trains?! Who knew Thomas got so dark?

• Like 4

The best thing my father did for me in developing tastes of likes was forcing me to watch George Carlin and Monty Python from way too young of an age. Both are things that got funnier as I got older and understood them on different levels. That can not be said for his forcing of me to watch Black Sheep Squadron, M*A*S*H, and Taxi. Then are are things I liked that my parents loved that they never forced on me but it just happened like Star Wars and Columbo.

Now I work with children and try to get them into things and I'm always surprised what takes and what doesn't. Also I see what favourite things their parents are forcing on them.

• Like 3

So of course I just spent a good 15 minutes reading his wiki page. He's almost killed people/trains?! Who knew Thomas got so dark?

Kids gotta learn about real life somewhere, y’know?

• Like 3

I always thought another dark thing about it is that in the original British version Sir Topham Hat is called The Fat Controller. Despite having a name and everything they decided "naw, let's just keep calling him the fat guy" then his sons take over and get called fat too. That's just mean.

• Like 5

That’s Diesel 10, bro!

diesel10_movie.jpg

Same universe as the goblin truck in Maximum Overdrive?

• Like 6