🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 25 Preview (Kateacola’s 2nd Pick)

Completely unrelated: I almost saw Alfonso Ribeiro on Broadway in 1985. He was starring in The Tap Dance Kid. I don't know why but it was the understudy for that performance (maybe a weekday matinee?). Instead we saw Dule Hill, Gus from Psych. He was astounding at only 6 years old!

• Like 4

Ahh. I'm here!

I've had a list of picks I was considering and I got it down to 2 very different musicals.

This was kind of a panic pick, lol.

I decided to go with the one that is more different than the other movie musicals we've covered so far.

So..here we go:

220px-Bride-and-prejudice.jpeg

Bollywood-style adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

We haven't done any Bollywood (or Bollywood-ish) musicals yet so thought this could be fun to do.

I watched this one earlier this year and liked it. It's not perfect.. maybe a little cheesy..and definitely not my favorite adaptation of P&P. But overall it is fun and thought a more Bollywood style musical would be a nice change. Plus, I'm sure we could compare to P&P and other adaptations of it.

Look forward to revisiting and discussing with y'all.

• Like 9

Ooooh I've seen this on Netflix for a while so I hope they didn't suddenly take it off lol.

I promise I'm gonna jump back into this (and I'm still gonna watch Reefer Madness I swear!)

• Like 5

I just watched a clip of the movie and it had Naveen Andrews dancing so I'm all in. Just shut up and take my money.

• Like 4

You had me at the punny title.

I eagerly await next week's Mr. Darcy off.

• Like 4

This looks fun! I am leaving for vacation tomorrow, so I'll probably be late in jumping in. But I love Pride and Prejudice and I love musicals (obvi) so I'm sure I'll love this.

• Like 3

Ooooh I've seen this on Netflix for a while so I hope they didn't suddenly take it off lol.

I promise I'm gonna jump back into this (and I'm still gonna watch Reefer Madness I swear!)

They took it off.

b2ed8346e86358e7e9d7560d28aff6b8.gif

• Like 6

I've never seen any type of Bollywood movie/musical this should be fun

• Like 5

You had me at the punny title.

I eagerly await next week's Mr. Darcy off.

We already know who wins the Darcy off

200.gif#26-grid1

• Like 6

We already know who wins the Darcy off

200.gif#26-grid1

I love this Darcy (but I will say, I haven't see the Colin Firth version)

K3n0Re.gif

And also this D'Arcy

tenor.gif?itemid=9685035

• Like 6

I'm pretty excited about this. I strongly considered selecting a Bollywood movie for my pick but not this one.

• Like 5

I'm pretty excited about this. I strongly considered selecting a Bollywood movie for my pick but not this one.

This is the only Bollywood(ish) movie I've watched. I've seen clips of others and have been interested in watching Bollywood films, but I had no idea where to start.

I watched this one earlier this year cause I thought it could be a baby-step into the genre, since it's a story I already know and love.

I remember it was a fun watch and it did make me excited to check out more, but I'm still not sure what to check out next, lol.

I love this Darcy (but I will say, I haven't see the Colin Firth version)

Definitely have to watch the Colin Firth version! It is my favorite and I probably watch it once a year (all 5-6 hours of it). I think the mini-series does P&P better justice. Firth and Ehle are my favorite Darcy and Elizabeth.

Not to get too into it before we discuss, but I will say the Darcy in Bride & Prejudice I was a little disappointed in.

I know I would have liked it much more with a better Darcy..but I know my Darcy expectations are too high, lol.

I still thought it would be a fun pick and glad everyone seems down!200.gif#23-grid1

• Like 5

Definitely have to watch the Colin Firth version! It is my favorite and I probably watch it once a year (all 5-6 hours of it). I think the mini-series does P&P better justice. Firth and Ehle are my favorite Darcy and Elizabeth.

THIS THIS THIS

I get into a lot of arguments with people over the best adaptation but I fucking looove the BBC version because 1. Nostalgia back when we didn't have cable so literally every Saturday my mom would pop in the VHS tapes of P&P and we would do chores while watching Colin Firth lol, and 2. The book deserves the justice of a 6 hour long mini-series lol.

• Like 6

Not to get too into it before we discuss, but I will say the Darcy in Bride & Prejudice I was a little disappointed in.

I know I would have liked it much more with a better Darcy..but I know my Darcy expectations are too high, lol.

Yeah, in the short clip I watched, the B&P Darcy seemed...bland. Do you even smolder, bro?

PS - kate, have you watched North & South?

• Like 5

Yeah, in the short clip I watched, the B&P Darcy seemed...bland. Do you even smolder, bro?

PS - kate, have you watched North & South?

Yeah, he didn't quite do it for me. No smolder, not enough longing stares or brooding, lol.

No not yet, I always see N&S being recommended to me on Amazon Prime.

Do I need to watch it?

• Like 4

I'm happy for this one. I have one Bollywood pic in my history and own the DVD but it wasn't available anywhere or I would have selected it. (Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega if anyone cares.) I see this one has Indira Varma in it and I am all in for her. She could have taught this Darcy about smoldering.

indira-varma-kama-sutra-a-tale-of-love-1996-bpfd89.jpg

• Like 2

On a separate unrelated note, anyone heard from JammerLea or Eternal Sammich lately? I don't remember seeing them post for a few weeks.

• Like 5

THIS THIS THIS

I get into a lot of arguments with people over the best adaptation but I fucking looove the BBC version because 1. Nostalgia back when we didn't have cable so literally every Saturday my mom would pop in the VHS tapes of P&P and we would do chores while watching Colin Firth lol, and 2. The book deserves the justice of a 6 hour long mini-series lol.

I agree that the book deserves more running time. I just have a real hard time with mini series because I'm not good at self control or scheduling my time wisely. I know I'll want to watch all of it at once, but I never have the time, so I put it off for forever and now I'm here. This is also a problem I have with any tv show released in binge form.

• Like 5

I'm happy for this one. I have one Bollywood pic in my history and own the DVD but it wasn't available anywhere or I would have selected it. (Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega if anyone cares.) I see this one has Indira Varma in it and I am all in for her. She could have taught this Darcy about smoldering.

indira-varma-kama-sutra-a-tale-of-love-1996-bpfd89.jpg

For real, he could've used her smoulder or from Daniel Gillies (Elijah from Vampire Diaries / The Originals) he is also a familiar face in B&P that I was not expecting to see. He smolders too, lol.

200.gif#21-grid1

• Like 3

Yeah, he didn't quite do it for me. No smolder, not enough longing stares or brooding, lol.

No not yet, I always see N&S being recommended to me on Amazon Prime.

Do I need to watch it?

Yes x 1000.

• Like 2