🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 179 - Second Sight: LIVE!

Jessica St. Clair (Womp It Up!, Playing House) joins Paul and Jason to discuss the 1989 comedy Second Sight starring John Larroquette and Bronson Pinchot. Recorded live in Boston, they talk about the cold open, Pinchot kissing everyone, and Larroquette looking miserable. Plus, Jessica reminds everyone of the Bronson Pinchot episode of Law & Order where he puts cocaine up his butt.

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepublic.com/user/howdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

You can see Jason, June, and Paul in The Disaster Artist in theaters now.

Paul’s new comedy Drive Share is available on Go90. Paul can be seen on Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, Opening Night, and Veep. You can see June and Paul on NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in The Good Place, The House, The Lego Batman Movie, How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

answering machine message] Hello, you've reached the Second Sight *psychic* detective agency. We know who you are and what you want, so, at the sound of the beep, hang up.

• Like 4

Crackpot theory:

Are Bobby and Toomy from The Langoliers the same character? Both are super nuts and inappropriate, both are on airplanes, and while one is in Boston the other needs to get there. Were they two nearly identical souls about to somehow exist in the same time and place and are merging which is making them crazy/physic-magic? And is that why time stopped in Langoliers so that one of them could be erased? And if this is all true, would this be an offense worthy of JCVD's time?

We do need more PIs investigating supernatural crime. I watched Cast a Deadly Spell last night, which I enjoyed. I kind of want to watch the sequel now, but I heard it's real lousy.

• Like 1

What really confused me, is how the film portrays the Catholic Church (in a very religious town) as totally being cool with hiring psychics. I'm not at all religious, but even I knew that believing in anything other than God, is a big No No.

A quick google search lead me to this POV:

"To try to discover the future through palm reading, tarot cards, or some other form of fortunetelling, or to try to control the future through black magic, witchcraft, or sorcery violates the first commandment."

I don't care what you believe in, but anything that violates the 1st thing you are expected to follow or preach... is some shit you shouldn't be messing with. Ha!

QcLQQOQ.png

source: http://catholicstrai...rs-and-witches/

• Like 5

Jessica did an amazing job (once again), but I wished June watched this movie just to get her take on Bronson's wig.

tumblr_mpbzpiNlXY1r7pekso2_250.gif

• Like 2

Thank you, Paul for shutting down Jacob's Ladder scenarios.

I'm curious how long Paul was attempting to fool anime fans he liked anime despite saying "Mizayaki".

• Like 5

Quick correction: Patricia Resnick was the writer of the film, and she retained the services of the psychic that served as technical advisor. She's not the psychic herself as Paul had stated.

• Like 3

I was really hoping Paul and Jason would have noticed that the chief who slept with Larroquette's wife, was none other then Lubic from Masters of the Universe.

JzqRFQf.jpg

• Like 3

I'm curious how long Paul was attempting to fool anime fans he liked anime despite saying "Mizayaki".

It probably wasn't very long cause most anime fans know that Miyazaki films aren't classified as anime :P

There's video of the man himself going off on how people lump their animation style into anime and he is nooot happy about it lol.

• Like 2

I 100% agree with Jason that they were going for Ghostbusters with this. This is how I had it mapped:

Venkman = Wills

Egon = Preston

Ray + Ghosts = Bobby

Winston = Uncast (but don't worry Bobby will be doing some racist channeling)

What the hell was going on with that scene? Bobby was just assuming his personality? Or was the kidnapper experiencing the situation? Was he back in the hideout pretending to drive a car while that was happening? Anyway I thought the Larroquette stunt double was more well done than anything else in this movie.

I'll add my name to the many that were put to sleep by this thing.

• Like 4

The random doorman who knew so much about kidnapping was my favorite part of the movie.

I agree with everyone who thought this was written like a TV show. It felt like several distinct episodes smushed together until nothing made sense.

• Like 3

It probably wasn't very long cause most anime fans know that Miyazaki films aren't classified as anime :P/>

There's video of the man himself going off on how people lump their animation style into anime and he is nooot happy about it lol.

I know I read something once where Miyazaki essentially said the problem with anime is anime fans. I haven't seen him argue his work isn't anime. As someone who is largely not into anime, I'm curious what his argument was because I'm #not sure what the differentiation is.

• Like 1

I know I read something once where Miyazaki essentially said the problem with anime is anime fans. I haven't seen him argue his work isn't anime. As someone who is largely not into anime, I'm curious what his argument was because I'm #not sure what the differentiation is.

In the Western definition they are certainly anime because we typically classify it as anything animated in Japan but I remember seeing him talk about how certain anime artists have a certain artistic style that he just couldn't stand and so he hated hearing people say that his films were anime because they didn't follow that same style. Whether that's just him being huffy about art that he doesn't like or not idk, but of course I can't even find the video now because all that comes up is what you were talking about and how he dislikes "otaku" culture.

EDIT: Oh I found a quote from the video!

"If you don't spend time watching real people, you can't do this, because you've never seen it. Some people spend their lives interested only in themselves. Almost all Japanese animation is produced with hardly any basis taken from observing real people ... It's produced by humans who can't stand looking at other humans. And that's why the industry is full of otaku!"

This specifically doesn't say that he doesn't refer to his films as anime but I swear it was in this same video that he was like "No we're not anime because..." and then went into this. I'm realizing that the interview is all in Japanese and I'm thinking my Japanese friend translated it for me and that's why I can't find a direct translation of what I heard.

• Like 2

In the Western definition they are certainly anime because we typically classify it as anything animated in Japan but I remember seeing him talk about how certain anime artists have a certain artistic style that he just couldn't stand and so he hated hearing people say that his films were anime because they didn't follow that same style. Whether that's just him being huffy about art that he doesn't like or not idk, but of course I can't even find the video now because all that comes up is what you were talking about and how he dislikes "otaku" culture.

EDIT: Oh I found a quote from the video!

This specifically doesn't say that he doesn't refer to his films as anime but I swear it was in this same video that he was like "No we're not anime because..." and then went into this.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same video/article. I definitely remember that wrote about otaku never looking at people.

I get wanting to be separate from a lot of anime because it's so much is trash. It feels like he's being a tad snobby (deservedly so) like the people who insist they don't watch cartoons because they watch animated shows. But, I don't know, maybe there is more distinction in Japan than we have in the US on what defines anime.

• Like 2

I get wanting to be separate from a lot of anime because it's so much is trash. It feels like he's being a tad snobby (deservedly so) like the people who insist they don't watch cartoons because they watch animated shows. But, I don't know, maybe there is more distinction in Japan than we have in the US on what defines anime.

I definitely think it's part snobbery but it does seem unfair to lump all animation together just because it comes from Japan. Then again The Last Airbender and Korra both definitely have that style and I have to tell people a lot that it's definitely not anime because it was made here in the states SO WHO KNOWS ANYMORE

BACK TO SECOND SIGHT

I DIDN'T SEE IT

• Like 7

I definitely think it's part snobbery but it does seem unfair to lump all animation together just because it comes from Japan. Then again The Last Airbender and Korra both definitely have that style and I have to tell people a lot that it's definitely not anime because it was made here in the states SO WHO KNOWS ANYMORE

BACK TO SECOND SIGHT

I DIDN'T SEE IT

You didn't miss much. Literally every note I took while watching it twice was covered in the show. Even down to almost putting me to sleep the first time.

• Like 1

To answer Jessica's question:

Cocaine readily diffuses into the bloodstream, so yes.

Rod Stewart apparently agrees:

The 67-year-old singing superstar has revealed that he and his former Faces bandmate Ronnie Wood used to shove cocaine up their bottoms using a suppository.

• Like 2

"The moving treehouse one"

Oh, Paul.

• Like 5

The exposition in this movie drove me nuts. Every character conveniently forgets things they should know for purposes of informing the audience or for a lame joke. Wills, despite having been with Bobby and Preston for some time, still needs to be told what's happening most of the time Bobby starts acting weird. Likewise, when Wills gets back from hitting on the redhead at the diner, Bobby asks him if he was successful and then IMMEDIATELY starts talking for Wills afterward since he can read his mind. Why'd he have to ask the first question. This goes on and on throughout the film and it doesn't help that the characters' histories and relationships are sloppily defined.

• Like 6

Also, when I looked at the cover/poster for this, I thought Bronson Pinchot was Richard Lewis, so imagine my disappointment at seeing Balki in that cold open. I would 1000% be on board for a movie with Richard Lewis as a neurotic psychic. Someone get on that.

The exposition in this movie drove me nuts. Every character conveniently forgets things they should know for purposes of informing the audience or for a lame joke. Wills, despite having been with Bobby and Preston for some time, still needs to be told what's happening most of the time Bobby starts acting weird. Likewise, when Wills gets back from hitting on the redhead at the diner, Bobby asks him if he was successful and then IMMEDIATELY starts talking for Wills afterward since he can read his mind. Why'd he have to ask the first question. This goes on and on throughout the film and it doesn't help that the characters' histories and relationships are sloppily defined.

I'll take this a step further and say that Preston doesn't need to exist in this movie, at all. His part is 100% expository. Just about every line he has is explaining why Bobby is acting nuts and twitching around -- all other lines were "Hey this is amazing" and he takes a picture.

When they said that the problem with the film was that they couldn't rewrite it because of the writer's strike, that made total sense -- this movie's script was clearly a rough draft, and Preston was probably just a character that existed on the page so that the writer could keep himself straight. I doubt his character would have made it through in a re-write.

• Like 6

Also, when I looked at the cover/poster for this, I thought Bronson Pinchot was Richard Lewis, so imagine my disappointment at seeing Balki in that cold open. I would 1000% be on board for a movie with Richard Lewis as a neurotic psychic. Someone get on that.

On the poster, that's a flying saucer right? Could there possibly have been an alien subplot that was cut? It seems unlikely given the writer strike but its such a dumb thing to put in the promotions for a movie with nothing about aliens in it.

• Like 7

A couple of notes about what is, in my opinion, almost a flawless film:

1. In the first scene after the credits, when Bobby is trying to identify the thief in the room full of busts, he goes up to Manoogian and says "she's not pregnant" and Manoogian grins ...

39522115851_1b17dccbbb_c.jpg

... the implication being, I guess, that he's having an affair and had a pregnancy scare?

2. At the end, "Murray" comes around and says that he's going "back behind the bright light" and that he won't be around that much anymore. But what does this mean about Bobby's powers? Does Bobby have powers other than those based upon his association with Murray? How long from the moment he was struck by lightning did Bobby become attached to Murray? Because they call Murray his "spirit guide" but that makes it seem that some of his powers are just Murray acting in the spirit world ... what powers would remain with Bobby after Murray leaves?

3. "NIT: Nun in Training" seems like the perfect title for a Nundercover sequel.

• Like 7

I'll take this a step further and say that Preston doesn't need to exist in this movie, at all. His part is 100% expository. Just about every line he has is explaining why Bobby is acting nuts and twitching around -- all other lines were "Hey this is amazing" and he takes a picture.

When they said that the problem with the film was that they couldn't rewrite it because of the writer's strike, that made total sense -- this movie's script was clearly a rough draft, and Preston was probably just a character that existed on the page so that the writer could keep himself straight. I doubt his character would have made it through in a re-write.

I had this thought too. In addition to his character being dull, his only purpose is to explain or handle Bobby, but, really it's a much funnier concept to have someone like Wills try to deal with the lunacy without any context. Story is defined by conflict and Preston does nothing but lessen the opportunity for conflict, other than when he's annoyed with ol' Highpants Larroquet trolling for booty.

• Like 4

On the poster, that's a flying saucer right? Could there possibly have been an alien subplot that was cut? It seems unlikely given the writer strike but its such a dumb thing to put in the promotions for a movie with nothing about aliens in it.

I like to think there was an alternate ending where Balki gets taken onto the ship with Jon Lovitz from "My Stepmother is an Alien"

• Like 2