🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DaltonMaltz

27 - Fables of the Reconstruction

Adam Scott Aukerman reconvene this week to discuss R.E.M.’s third studio album, Fables of the Reconstruction. They’ll talk favorite sandwiches and Back to the Future before diving into the 1985 album. Plus, we’ll hear how they both came around on Fables of the Reconstruction after initial struggles as well as an improved track sequence from Scott.

found a commercial for Durkee sauce

• Like 6

Very few things are funnier than Scott cutting off Scott mid-sentence to end the show.

• Like 5

I discovered "Looking For Clues" and "Tall Trees" through the Scott & Scott subpodcasts. Once I'm not so lazy, I should make a playlist.

I'm a little surprised at the relative apprehension the Scotts have for this album. I know Adam said it was his favorite for awhile, but he still seemed convinced that it's not that great? I don't get it - I love it. It's an amazing album. They called it sludgey or whatever and that fullness is what I like so much about it. There are great singles that are fun and groovy, mixed with darker more mysterious songs too. I don't find Fables to be difficult or a grower at all, never have (or not any more than is usual for REM).

Am curious about shuffling the sequence and I will try Scott's version for sure -- I feel like REM would be all for it. Isn't the title ambigious? Fables Of The Reconstruction is the settled name, but the art can also be looked at as calling it Reconstruction Of The Fables. And as they talked about on Chronic Town, they rarely called things "side a / b" for order. So I think they'd like people shuffling things like that.

Anyway, whatever, Fables is the best. Great ep!

my current REM album rankings (not going to include EPs):

1. Fables

2. Murmur

3. Reckoning

I also made a playlist reflecting Scott's resequencing, and I called it Fables Reconstructed. You're welcome!

Very few things are funnier than Scott cutting off Scott mid-sentence to end the show.

Best moment on any episode of either show! I laughed SO hard.

Hey you two goofballs, thank you for the fair and considerate review of Fables, my favorite REM LP that is tragically too often dismissed, even by members of band.

I saw them in Berkeley on this tour. I remember Michael Stipend singing with his back to the audience on the first few songs, ha! I still have the program with all its bizarre artwork. Sadly, the concert tee is long gone.

Can’t wait for your review of Pageant, arguably their most balls out, rockingest album.

Fuck trees,

TedInSaltLake

PS, I think the tv show Adam refers to as featuring the Pylon song is Billions. Also on that episode’s soundtrack, mother fucking Guadalcanal Diary, Pixies, Replacements and the dB’s. Solipsism be damned, but sometimes I could swear this universe is mine.

• Like 1

It's only because this is totally anonymous that I can admit it now. But it's taken me thirty years to go look up the lyrics to "Bandwagon" and discover that Michael Stipe& wasn't singing "you won't hurt the whores."

I also made a playlist reflecting Scott's resequencing, and I called it Fables Reconstructed. You're welcome!

Best moment on any episode of either show! I laughed SO hard.

Are you a child? Why do you have gummy bears in your backpack?

Half awesomeness, half mediocrity.

My ranking of the songs:

1. Feeling Gravitys Pull

2. Driver 8

3. Maps and Legends

4. Wendell Gee

5. Can’t Get There From Here

6. Old Man Kensey

7. Green Grow the Rushes

8. Life and How to Live it

9. Auctioneer (Another Engine)

10. Kohoutek