🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 190.5 - Minisode 190.5

Hurricane dads, family issues, and more on this week’s minisode! Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Hurricane Heist, Blake J. Harris interviews Hurricane Heist screenwriter Scott Windhauser, Paul opens up the Mail Bag, and the Movie Bitches review Avengers: Infinity War. Plus, you’ll find out our next movie selection!

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

Is the question that we all HONESTLY need to hear an answer to in regards to Nic Cage "would you swap faces with him like in 'Face/Off'"? Really? What a missed opportunity to ask something tangible, Blake.

• Like 2

I used to work in master control at a TV station, and my brother-in-law currently works at the nerve center of a local utilities company. Both jobs involved sitting in a big room full of monitors and computers, and if "weather center operator" is anything like those jobs, then those people were probably eating mostly out of boredom. Master control jobs involve a lot of monitoring, tweaking, and logging info. The only other part of a job like that involves being on point in case something goes wrong, but if nothing goes wrong, there isn't that much to do, and going down for a cup of joe and a swing by the vending machine is how a lot of folks kill boredom five minutes at a time. So I feel for the guy with the mountain of cream cheese on his bagel, even though such similar diversions are how I gained 50 lbs during my tenure there.

• Like 4

You can almost hear the futility in Paul's voice when he asks people to not email him to ask where to watch Rad.

• Like 1

I used to work in master control at a TV station, and my brother-in-law currently works at the nerve center of a local utilities company. Both jobs involved sitting in a big room full of monitors and computers, and if "weather center operator" is anything like those jobs, then those people were probably eating mostly out of boredom. Master control jobs involve a lot of monitoring, tweaking, and logging info. The only other part of a job like that involves being on point in case something goes wrong, but if nothing goes wrong, there isn't that much to do, and going down for a cup of joe and a swing by the vending machine is how a lot of folks kill boredom five minutes at a time. So I feel for the guy with the mountain of cream cheese on his bagel, even though such similar diversions are how I gained 50 lbs during my tenure there.

I thought you were a bassist.

• Like 4

I thought you were a bassist.

I am large. I contain multitudes.

126_Whitman_New_1.jpg?itok=hFXV_H-4

Plus, that TV job was like 20 years ago, back when CW was still the WB.

• Like 4

Who is this Brandon person sending books? I feel personally attacked for some reason. I work at a Literary agency. I have never sent books. Should I send books? I mean, I don't know Paul and June's kids. Do they want my books? Maybe I should send Jason some of our YA on audio.

Keeping with the book theme, I am pretty sure I read JUDE THE OBSCURE in college and did not enjoy it.

Too bad the "Gymkata" book isn't in the public domain. I really want to do that one for our hypothetical How Did This Get Written spinoff.

• Like 2

Keeping with the book theme, I am pretty sure I read JUDE THE OBSCURE in college and did not enjoy it.

I was supposed to read it in high school and did not. I tried reading it after college since I still had my copy. I made it maybe one chapter in.

I might try the podcast but, depending on how often Michael Ian Black comments, that might be a very dry podcast.

• Like 2

I was supposed to read it in high school and did not. I tried reading it after college since I still had my copy. I made it maybe one chapter in.

I might try the podcast but, depending on how often Michael Ian Black comments, that might be a very dry podcast.

I've listened to the first couple of episodes. The production side - the music and the soothing nature of Michael's voice makes it a very calming podcast, almost ASMR in nature. I've never read Jude either but I'm excited for this one.

• Like 1

So with Rad we'll have our BMX movie, Airborne had roller blades, so when it comes time to complete the 80s/early 90s trifecta of cool sports, may I suggest Thrashin' for the skateboarding option.

• Like 5

So with Rad we'll have our BMX movie, Airborne had roller blades, so when it comes time to complete the 80s/early 90s trifecta of cool sports, may I suggest Thrashin' for the skateboarding option.

Or Gleaming the Cube? I can't remember if that's HDTGM-worthy or is actually good.

• Like 1

I’ve had Rad on my Letterboxd Watchlist since CakeBug, Tom, and Cam Bert watched BMX Bandits last year. I’m looking forward to finally getting it out of there ;)

• Like 3

I’ve had Rad on my Letterboxd Watchlist since CakeBug, Tom, and Cam Bert watched BMX Bandits last year. I’m looking forward to finally getting it out of there ;)

I must admit, I got an electric thrill of anticipation when Paul said it was a BMX movie: I thought maybe it might be 'BMX Bandits' (featuring an extremely young Nicole Kidman as a BMX rider who helps foil a robbery), but no such luck.

• Like 4

I must admit, I got an electric thrill of anticipation when Paul said it was a BMX movie: I thought maybe it might be 'BMX Bandits' (featuring an extremely young Nicole Kidman as a BMX rider who helps foil a robbery), but no such luck.

I watched Freewheelin’ a couple months ago. It’s (kind of) a documentary so I don’t know if it would be great for HDTGM, but everyone should definitely watch it.

“It’s kind of like Endless Summer for skateboarding - except everything sucks and it makes you want to die”

- Cameron H

• Like 3

Happy Father's Day to Paul and all the other HDTGM Daddies!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

You could add Side Out to cover beach volleyball. I don't know if there's a HDTGM-worthy surfing movie, though.

• Like 3

You could add Side Out to cover beach volleyball. I don't know if there's a HDTGM-worthy surfing movie, though.

North Shore perhaps?

• Like 2

Neither of these are primarily surfing but Point Break and Back To The Beach

• Like 3

How quickly you all forget

surf-ninjas-movie-cover-md.jpg

• Like 8

You could add Side Out to cover beach volleyball.

For the jet ski movie, may I suggest:

Waterworld-640x376.jpg

• Like 2

I have to assume that this fight scene was inspired by the bike dance scene from this movie,

Does anyone have Film Struck? I'm considering dropping one of my subscription services to pick that one up because they really appear to have some quality films I can't find anywhere else (many that will be covered on Unspooled too it seems) and it's all curated by actual humans rather than algorithms so I was wondering if anyone could speak on it being worth it.

Thrashin' and Gleaming the Cube would be awesome, I've always had a soft spot for for the Skateboard Kid movies as well. A kid breaks apart a vacuum cleaner and attaches it to a skateboard which then gets struck by lightning and gains sentience.

Sign in to follow this