🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 46 — Art

This podcast is what you make of it; Nothing more, nothing less. More accurately, it is a discussion of art with comedian and artist Chris Fairbanks. From hand turkeys to sponge trees to the beauty you see in a person's eyes, we cover artistry and technique in a way that that will soften the heart of even the harshest critics. It's like visiting the museum, only you don't have to dress up or leave the house!

It's so tough not listening to this, but it will be fun to share the experience with fellow Blastronauts (or Blastronettes) tonight!

Can't wait to hear Kyle call MOTHER!

And didn't Chris Fairbanks share a bachelor pad with a certain Mr. Suntsberger??? Could be tales of cool beer!

And maybe Tig's cajun character will turn up!

• Like 1

Steven, I hear ya, man! It's so hard refraining from listening. I usually listen after midnight when it drops. The sheer anticipation is agonizing. Honored to have a winner of the Green Circle Award take part in the #PBOparty. Thank you.

Btw, Chris Fairbanks shared a pad with Tig back in the day. ;)

wbzzg1.jpg

• Like 1

You guys should have listened to it right away because it was hilarious! Great ep, TKD&A!

I think chris fairbanks was a little unfair to other kinds of art but thats just how it came off to me...what does a sleuthin-hat look like?

• Like 2

Wow. Really trashed artists didn't you?

Basically agreed that art shouldn't make you think or be difficult in any way. I agree that BS is thick in art school and performance and conceptual arts are easily confused with hackery. For example: I saw a clever and hilarious piece of performance art on TV last month- someone pushing a stool noisily on stage. I loved it, but it sounds like the gang at PB would have run that performer out of town.

As a working artist, I'd like to request you book Gallagher to teach us about stand-up on a future show.

Love the show (I really do).

• Like 3

I'd say that Chris Fairbanks nailed it. Pretentious/hippie art is waaaay too popular and it actually offends me when i see it. Which is frequently, since I live in Portland and everyone gets to be artists when they move here.

I feel that in order to be "good" art requires talent. Talent is also another term for effort. *exits soap box*

Great show today! I love farm animal noises more than what is probably healthy. Thanks for another hilarious hour.

• Like 1

Chris Fairbanks really rubbed me the wrong way. He hates art critics who make definitive, pretentious statements about art then claims Van Gogh is 'the best painter ever'. He also writes off street art, except the kind he did. For an episode on art, you had a really narrow-minded guest.

• Like 3

Read what was on these blastronauts' minds during this week's episode. Thanks to all who participated. Thanks to Professor Blastoff for helping spread the word. :)

421943_236840919745744_146692255427278_460850_1113263478_n.jpg

Great episode, though I really noticed how absent Kyle was for much of it. Concussions will do that, how about you do that for a topic? By the way, are they still singing the wrong words to Looking Out my Back Door? The same words as a matter of fact?

Lukas, you may be right! I had a concussion after a fall a year ago. No symptoms at first then several weeks of off and on dizziness and vertigo attacks that would almost cripple me. I was so glad when they passed. I am praying for Kyle to recover quickly.

I liked the episode a lot. It sounded like David, Chris and Tig are really good friends. Made me happy to hear them relate to each other.

As far as art goes, I am not any kind of expert, but I know what I like. Everybody gets his (OR HER) opinion.

It seemed like the episode went by very quickly! And no call to MOTHER or SWAMP ROCK! Maybe next time. Loved the new turkey talk feature.

I had so much fun tweeting and messaging with my fellow (AND FELLA) Blastronauts (AND BLASTRO-NETTES). I even got a nice shout out from Dustin, who is the engineer for PBO and Sklarbro Country (and other Earwolf shows).

So many nice people associated with PBO. Love to all.

• Like 3

Just because Chris doesn't like a particular type of art someone else likes doesn't make him narrow minded. Everybody is not cut from the same mold.

• Like 1

I just heard over on Who Charted that Harris is on this same NBC show that Tig is on? Is that right? Can the TigFansUnite or anyone tell us how to organize and support this show so it gets on TV (if that isn't a sure thing yet)? I really want to see this and it could be a great measure for how popular Earwolf can be by all of us supporting a show that has so many of our favorites on it.

I just heard over on Who Charted that Harris is on this same NBC show that Tig is on? Is that right? Can the TigFansUnite or anyone tell us how to organize and support this show so it gets on TV (if that isn't a sure thing yet)? I really want to see this and it could be a great measure for how popular Earwolf can be by all of us supporting a show that has so many of our favorites on it.

That is correct. Harris Wittels will be on the new Sarah Silverman Production, which finally has a name by the way. "Susan 313". http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2221859/ NBC has already picked it up and has already been through its pre-production stage and I believe they've been shooting already. (From what I heard on Tig's podcast) So, it's definitely getting on TV and is set to pilot in November. Get excited! I've been reading reviews all over the net and people seem pretty excited about it. I have a feeling it is going to do well. They've got a great cast: Sarah Silverman, Jeff Goldblum, Tig Notaro, Harris Wittels...

I have faith.

• Like 1

I have to share this.

I went to a meeting Tuesday night. I was afraid it would run long and interfere with the big PBO tweet-up. It was a natural/historical lecture about a local Connecticut lighthouse. As I was looking at the display, before the lecture, I was stunned to see that the "Friends of Hammonassett", the sponsor of the meeting, had won a GREEN CIRCLE AWARD!!! This is only the second one I have ever seen!

I thought it was funny because my "claim to PBO fame" is based on my Green Circle Award.

• Like 1

This "artist" is incredibly ignorant. He is a technician, not an artist. I went to college with a major in painting, and for three years developed my technical skills so that I could draw a person, landscape, still life - whatever, anything - almost precisely as it appeared. My professors taught us that underneath good (ie sincere) art, there are skills. In my fourth year, I began painting abstract art based upon nature. All with an underlying structure developed from my years of realistic drawing and painting. i wanted to develop my own image vocabulary and do paintings that anyone could interpret as meaningful to his/HERself. My first solo in CT caught the attention of the NYTimes, and I was in the Sunday edition. I have had only 5 solos in the past two decades, but continue to paint. Your speaker is pretty clueless about "art." Disappointing show for encouraging such uniformed speakers to vomit their ignorance over the proverbial airwaves. The speaker didn't say that he didn't like abstract art - he implied that it wasn't art - and that's where he's painfully ill-informed.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this