🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 70 — Apocalypse

Prepare yourself by putting on your glasses for today’s Professor Blastoff! Our dear friend Jen Kirkman joins us to discuss the end of the world. Jen shares with us her childhood memories of being told the world would end in the year 2000, her description of the Four Horsemen, and her love of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. We also talk about being bitten by dogs, the zombie apocalypse and restarting civilization.

Jen 'Southie' Kirkman was the first comedian I saw live when I moved to LA back in 2007, and I have loved her brand of humor ever since. Can't wait to listen to this episode.

Some of my favorite podcasters AND Jen Kirkman? I'm so in.

Also Aaron is there.

Choice quote from this week's youtube clip: "Scientists agree that many of the features of the end of the world may resemble phenomenon, catastrophes described in Revelations."

Really?

Scientists are in agreement on the possible descriptors of the end of the world? Doesn't sound at all made up.

AAAAAAAND toxoplasma gondii doesn't turn rats into zombies, it merely disrupts their sense of smell, causing them to be more likely to go wandering into an area that a cat lives. Toxo-effected humans have a higher likelihood of being in a car wreck.

Welp, that's been comment.

I love the "old Jewish man" chorus of high-pitched squeals. "May the turning of the earth not make your loved ones dizzy."

"Who's got the ham NOW?" is my new catch-phrase.

I noticed an absence of Aaron-wrangling in this episode.

I loved Jen Kirkman's Boston-accented memories of her family's attitude toward the end times.

It was weird to hear a pre-cancer episode. I was happy to hear Tig sounding so great and upbeat, but I am very emotionally invested in her "here and now" hoping and praying for her to beat this thing. We all love Tig so much!

I also noticed the many fragments of various bit's and pieces of science that get tossed around. Polar reversal, asteroid collision avoidance, dinosaur apocalypse, antibiotic-resistant bacteria, transmission of virus vs. bacteria. It seems like there is a comic pessimism that pervades the hatch, but I love it nonetheless.

Welp, that's been comment.

RE: what would you do if you were the only survivor of the Apocalypse: I recommend checking out the movie The Quiet Earth for a neat exploration of the concept.

I love the "old Jewish man" chorus of high-pitched squeals. "May the turning of the earth not make your loved ones dizzy."

So did I.

My cat, however, HATED it and BIT me on the arm as punishment. She's very strict about noises.

• Like 1

I loved Jen Kirkman's Boston-accented memories of her family's attitude toward the end times.

Yep, some of my favorite editions of Southie Corner on the Pod F Tompkast are the ones heavily featuring impressions of her family, particularly the one where her dad takes her to the 'cure your fear of flying' classes and then they fly to New York.

"He did it" was my favorite Aaronism ever.

• Like 1

I think my favorite part was when Kyle started to talk (around 30 min) and got cut off. "See when I asked you that, see I thought we were referring to... (David totally cuts him off and starts talking, but Kyle keeps going), "Hmmm....nevermind." (pauses a bit and you can hear him mumble) "Talk to you later".

I laughed SO freaking hard at this.

• Like 3

I love that painting! Pestilence and Death look a little sluggish; give 'em some heel!

Sign in to follow this