🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 3 — Wild Food For Urban People

Yo, what up race cars and race debaters! Howard Kremer is in studio today to help us answer if a Farmers Market sign that reads "Wild Food For Urban People" is racist. We also discuss the use of the word urban in mainstream media. Ask us a question by calling 323-389-7223 just don't be racist about it.

Wow! Wie-Wie and Ti-Ti had their tap shoes out for this one. I guess the world will never know what the most racist fruit is.

This is easily my favorite new podcast on Earwolf.

I'm from 317; that's central Indiana. So, my guess is that it's probably racist.

So you're saying you're a racist? That's cool I guess.

I don't know, I think people are mixing up their racism types here. Racists in Indiana and Kentucky are redneck racists, but the kind of racists who use "urban" to mean black are upper-class paternalistic racists. So I don't think the location makes it more likely for the sign to be racist in this case.

It seems pretty likely to me that all this sign was saying is that "People who live in the city have no access to wild fruit, so I will sell it to you!" Just because the dude lives in southern Indiana does not mean he's the type of guy who would say "urban" instead of "black". Unless of course, the farmer was somehow marketing his fruit to black patrons... then it would be racist. I hope Andrew realizes that "needs more context" is as acceptable an answer as "yes" and "no".

Sign in to follow this