🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 100.5 — 11/2/12 TWO CHARTED 39

It’s mustard taste test time on this week’s Tookta Charted! Wie-Wie aka Tiki Chapstick counts down a special Double Stuffed Double Chart of Chartist E-Mails & 5 Songs That Wie Likes and Ku-Ku gets us up on some flicks & some important info on politics with her Top 5 Things She Wants To Talk About Chart. A chartist samples Ku-Ku & Wie-Wie, Howard tells us about the time he met Michael Gross in a restroom, and Engineer Brett’s mustard gets put to the taste test. Start me up!

Man this ep made me really hungry for some stard. I am gonna miss Howard saying how dumb he is for not being able to take the incorrect info down on the AS dvd.

What article did your girlfriend give you that taught you how to do this? This sounds like fun to try!

man i wish i could remember. but the best part about it was it broke down basic mustard theory, which is this:

at its very core, mustard is two things. ground mustard and cold liquid. you can mix yellow mustard powder and water and you're going to end up with a very simple yellow mustard (it will probably still kick the shit out of french's).

the third ingredient to really tie it together and make it last on the shelf is an acid, usually vinegar.

the cold liquid and the ground mustard start a magical chemical process that starts strong. the vinegar freezes that process in place. so you should wait at least 10, 20, 30 minutes to pour the acid in. then let the stard sit on the shelf or in the fridge for a few days to a week before digging in. the bitterness needs some time to settle down. the colder you keep it, the more strength will be retained.

from there you can go in ALL directions though, your imagination is the only limit. you can add whatever other ingredients and mustards you want to the powder: salt, sugar, herbs, horseradish, whatever. you can add or substitute other liquids for the water, like grape juice? you can use white wine vinegar instead of plain.

brown mustard is stronger than yellow. black is the strongest. i find that you want a solid yellow base to all mustards though as pure brown/black can be overwhelming.

there are lots of recipes online, i find that no two are at all alike. i've basically borrowed some concepts but for the most part gone my own way. just remember the simple origins of mustard, and let that guide your vision.

• Like 6

Any chance of getting a few high res photos of the table for use as desktop backgrounds?

Cool idea! We'll see what we can do. Thanks for the suggestion!

I LOVE MUSTARD!!!

Engineer Brett, your post was helpful, but would you consider posting the recipes of the mustards you sampled? I would love to try the ginger, lemon, wasabi one!

I would love to try the ginger, lemon, wasabi one!

That one's my favorite!

I'd really like to get my tongue on some of that 'stard.

Maybe do an autographed gift set? I need something to compliment my bottle of Hot Saucerman.

I finally got around to listening to this episode, and Stard Me Up was a great feature! Love the show guys, thanks so much.

Sign in to follow this