🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 119 — Denying the Magic

Pete Holmes returns to the calming shores to make it weird on today’s Sklarbro Country! Pete joins Randy & Jason for some takes which include Keith Levasseur completing the Baltimore Marathon in flip flops and a flight attendant suing Magic Johnson for firing her for being 7 minutes late. Pete then catches up with the Sklars by talking about how his podcast You Made It Weird has drastically changed the way he performs stand-up on the road, his recent Twitter back and forth with Marc Maron, and gets into a deep discussion about the connection between religion and sports. That’s not all, we get into some Quick Hits involving skier Manny Osborne-Paradis injuring himself after being dragged by a party bus, England accusing Romania of cheating at World Angling Championships by using secret bait, and 19-year-old Bladimir Barreto failing to jump over a car to impress college recruiters. Plus, we get all Gumbly with it as we call up Bryant Gumbel who tells us how he will take over as commissioner of the NBA.

I hate myself for doing this, but as a huge Broncos fan, I must.

John Elway doesn't own the team. He's the VP of football operations and he went to 5 Super Bowls.

Now I'm gonna go make fun of myself for doing this for about 3 hrs.

• Like 1

That listener email was fantastic! I only had one handler when I was a college mascot, and was sometimes alone. Those blind spots were deadly!

I am happy to see the Sklars sprinkling in reading emails again especially with this one being so good.

This was one of the best interviews they have yet had. While I'm not a fan of Pete's podcast (mostly) I did dig the back and forth he brought to this. One of the interesting things about Pete is I think he is so much better when people are asking him questions and putting him on the spot.

Going back to the point (Randy?) made about why our religion is the way it is and basing it on fear, I couldn't agree more, but I would take it a step further. Our biggest import/export now in America is fear. Everything is based on trying to scare us into believing we are falling behind, in danger, losing our way of life, etc. To watch our news or hear our political commericals, you would think our country is filled with rapists, murderers, Chinese spies and is in another dust bowl. I'm afraid my kids are starting to think every stranger is going to kill them and that China/Iran are currently aiming missles at us right now.

I think all of this fear traces back to a change in who we are as a people. The internet is giving us more information than we can handle and having the curtain drop, revealing all knowledge and all communication to us, scares us. So we focus on fear and people captalize on it.

Not to sound insane (too late) but that's one of the reasons I love podcasts. There seems to be almost no agenda to make me afraid, no anger directed at anyone but perhaps a nameless heckler.

So, that was a long way of saying thank you.

Also, I started crying I was laughing so hard at you (Jason?) laughing during the mascot story.

Earwolf rocks.

Man, that mascot story was ridiculously funny. The sound of the Sklars gasping for breath as they tried to make it through the story just killed me.

Also, any Gumbel is fantastic.

"Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the SKLAR brothers!"

• Like 2

Aside from the mascot story, the protracted build-up to this signature line was my favorite part of the episode.

• Like 1

Also, any Gumbel is fantastic.

Yes. The more Gumbel the better. I miss his raw-bone routines. There was one story he had about messing with Greg, I think it was during Thanksgiving or something, and the Sklars were dying laughing. It was infectious.

Top 5 guests:

• Gumbel
  • Tim Gunn
  • Randy Moss' dog
  • Bruce jenner
  • Jesse The Mind ventura

Sign in to follow this