🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 18 — Pixarfied

Yo, what up race cars! Special guest Max Silvestri drops by from New York to make voicemails and call racist on some questions. Max & Andrew help give a black college student advice on figuring out her identity, examine Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown’s slogan, and talk about the possible racism in the Fantasy genre. They also discuss the odd way people substitute the word Jew with almost anything and answer the question if white guys singing the blues is racist. Plus, Max tells us about being a victim of white on white hate crime in New England, explains that A Time To Kill answers all question about all racism, and describes his first album purchases. Call 323 389 RACE to leave us a question and for some life advice on how you shouldn’t be racist. Peace.

May I humbly suggest that "Two Mega SD's" would have been the better title for this episode.

I was going to write that white guys who sing the blues in a style that caricatures old black blues musicians are racist, but then I thought it was racist to write that. Also, I don't think Tom Waits is racist.

Eric Clapton, specifically, IS a racist.

"I used to be into dope, now I’m into racism. It’s much heavier, man. Fucking wogs, man. Fucking Saudis taking over London. Bastard wogs. Britain is becoming overcrowded and Enoch will stop it and send them all back. The black wogs and coons and Arabs and fucking Jamaicans and fucking [indecipherable] don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man. We are a white country. I don’t want fucking wogs living next to me with their standards. This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for fuck's sake? We need to vote for Enoch Powell, he’s a great man, speaking truth. Vote for Enoch, he’s our man, he’s on our side, he’ll look after us. I want all of you here to vote for Enoch, support him, he’s on our side. Enoch for Prime Minister! Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!"

I think Andrew and Max overlooked a key sentence in the first call.

"I don't really like hanging out with black people."

At face value, pretty racist, no? I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she meant "I don't really like hanging out with any of the black people I know", which is understandable if she only knows a small number of black people.

Or, at least, Clapton was a drunken ass at the time. Though Rock Against Racism, which got going apparently in response to this and David Bowie going on about Hitler as a rock star (the possibility of goofing in both cases would be hard to rule out, but the lack of taste, to say the least, kinda tells), notes that Clapton never has apologized for this (and Clapton does seem to be rather an easier person to listen to than to know). One would've thought that Elvis Costello might've taken the lesson. But Declan did apologize (as well as getting clocked by Bonnie Bramlett.)

But, more pertinently, no, white people performing blues music isn't racist. Sorry. Being an ass while or around playing blues is another matter. Might as well tell the African-American artists that they are at least Wrong in doing country music...and asinine criticism of Ray Charles (using slurs) is what got Elvis C punched.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this