🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Julia

Episode 17 - Young Dad

This week Jeff is joined by fellow Earwolf podcaster, father, and one of the best freestyle rappers in the world — MC Nocando. He talks about what it’s like having three daughters and marrying his high school sweetheart all before the age of 30. Nocando describes how life as a young father helped him get serious, have something to fight for, and be the grizzled veteran to his friends who are now getting married and entering fatherhood.

• Like 1

wow, it seems like with each guest this show gets better an better. MC Nocando just gained a new fan, and I'm sure even more with the other dads that listen to this. Its funny how, regardless of the guest, you hear the same reoccurring themes which to me makes me feel that we all go through the same things no matter what class level you are or what your net worth is.

One thing to be aware of now that Arden is getting closer to being a toddler is that sleep schedules will change. Nocando is right though and I think I said this before, put her down and leave. She will cry for a few minutes but she will 99% of the time go to sleep. If she is not feeling well or maybe her daily routine got interrupted, that other 1% could happen but other than that it should work. The rule of thumb that we live by is once she is in the crib, she stays in the crib. Even if she is fussing keep her in the crib and rub or pat her back, don't take her out. Even though she can't reason, she can still manipulate and if she gets used to you taking her out of the crib to comfort her she will continue to do it.

Amazing episode Jeff!

wow, it seems like with each guest this show gets better an better. MC Nocando just gained a new fan, and I'm sure even more with the other dads that listen to this. Its funny how, regardless of the guest, you hear the same reoccurring themes which to me makes me feel that we all go through the same things no matter what class level you are or what your net worth is.

One thing to be aware of now that Arden is getting closer to being a toddler is that sleep schedules will change. Nocando is right though and I think I said this before, put her down and leave. She will cry for a few minutes but she will 99% of the time go to sleep. If she is not feeling well or maybe her daily routine got interrupted, that other 1% could happen but other than that it should work. The rule of thumb that we live by is once she is in the crib, she stays in the crib. Even if she is fussing keep her in the crib and rub or pat her back, don't take her out. Even though she can't reason, she can still manipulate and if she gets used to you taking her out of the crib to comfort her she will continue to do it.

Amazing episode Jeff!

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'm going to talk to Darlene about this right now.

• Like 1

I concur with Barry! Kids will actually learn how to put themselves to sleep but you've got to set them up for success! A well structured and reliable bedtime routine over time will prime their little brains for slumber. My first boy did not have this and we suffered! Horribly late nights, tantrums, he'd have a bad attitude during the day due to lack of sleep. . . Our next three were different and bedtimes go very smoothly.

We would do something simple that started at pretty much the same time every day: Dinner, Bath, Teeth Brushing, Storytime, Bed. When they're toddlers, they will let out a cry that makes mom and dad very anxious, but take Barry's advice. Go in the room, sing a song or two maybe, pat their back, and leave the room.

Sign in to follow this