🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RyanSz

Gothika (2003)

This shitfest was insane. Featuring Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz who were at their peaks career-wise as well as a trying to make a comeback Robert Downey Jr. It has a decent story with Berry being sent to the asylum where she works because she has murdered her husband. The whole time she claims her innocence and begins to understand there is something supernatural leading her to finding the truth about that incident and her husband in general.

***SPOILER FOR A TEN YEAR OLD MOVIE****

When she finds out her husband was part of a duo who raped/murdered women she also sees that she murdered her husband while possessed by the spirit of one of the girls. After his accomplice is discovered and ultimately killed, the movie fast forwards to where Berry and Cruz are out of the asylum. This is where the movie goes off the deep end. Berry knows she killed her husband, as does the state. All of the evidence proves she did it, and even though she was possessed, there is no reason she should be free. This plot point alone should make for an interesting episode.

How has nobody else responded to this thread yet? This would make such an amazing episode. I don't know how it is possible to have such an illogical movie.

Also - as Ryan Sz notes - there are huge stars in this movie and the plot is beyond tasteless. *spoilers* It is hilarious to think that Halle, P-Cruz and RDJr all on their own read this script and went "oh, so the twist is that her husband and this other prison guy were running train on a bunch of women for snuff films" and then signed up. I mean, aren't things like that the whole reason for this podcast? Can you imagine Halle Berry trying to explain this movie to her family or something as she was signing up to work on it? "Oh yeah Mom, come to the premier of my new movie! It's about these ghosts who were gang raped to death in prison. It's right up your alley!"

Also, it came in second in the box office it's first week which isn't bad......except it was to The Cat in the Hat. I really don't know why either of these movies haven't been done yet, it's mind boggling

• Like 1

Awww damn, I thought you were talking about Gothic, and I was like, shit yes it's time for a Ken Russell movie.

would be perfect.

This shitfest was insane. Featuring Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz who were at their peaks career-wise as well as a trying to make a comeback Robert Downey Jr. It has a decent story with Berry being sent to the asylum where she works because she has murdered her husband. The whole time she claims her innocence and begins to understand there is something supernatural leading her to finding the truth about that incident and her husband in general.

***SPOILER FOR A TEN YEAR OLD MOVIE****

When she finds out her husband was part of a duo who raped/murdered women she also sees that she murdered her husband while possessed by the spirit of one of the girls. After his accomplice is discovered and ultimately killed, the movie fast forwards to where Berry and Cruz are out of the asylum. This is where the movie goes off the deep end. Berry knows she killed her husband, as does the state. All of the evidence proves she did it, and even though she was possessed, there is no reason she should be free. This plot point alone should make for an interesting episode.

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO WATCH THIS ON NETFLIX :(

It can still be watched for the GIANT WTF factors as well as trying to decipher what the hell all these name actors are doing in this fucking movie. Also be on the look out for one of the worst fake tattoos in cinema history.

• Like 1

If that post stopped you from watching it, then he probably did you a favor

That's what you get for keeping things in your queue for three years and then not watching them, like me!

• Like 2

What kind of astonishes me is that the director of the movie, Mathieu Kassovitz, made a really good movie called "La Haine," and then made a French blockbuster called "The Crimson Rivers." You'd think that, after making at least two good movies in France, it'd be easy to make a good movie in America. Then he makes "Gothika," and five years later comes out with "Babylon A.D.," a movie so bad that its initials actually spell out "B.A.D." (In fairness, he claims Fox interfered with the movie so much he was never allowed to shoot scenes the way he wanted to.) Since then, he appears to have stuck to French films.

I felt like this movie was the equivalent of a poorly told campfire tale where the storyteller's reaction was as if the twist is up there with the ending to Oldboy, but the reality is that there are scarier goosebumps stories. It would be a good one for a HDTGM Halloween episode.

What kind of astonishes me is that the director of the movie, Mathieu Kassovitz, made a really good movie called "La Haine," and then made a French blockbuster called "The Crimson Rivers." You'd think that, after making at least two good movies in France, it'd be easy to make a good movie in America. Then he makes "Gothika," and five years later comes out with "Babylon A.D.," a movie so bad that its initials actually spell out "B.A.D." (In fairness, he claims Fox interfered with the movie so much he was never allowed to shoot scenes the way he wanted to.) Since then, he appears to have stuck to French films.

La Haine was excellent, The Crimson Rivers was a bad ripoff of Se7en with a bit of Boys From Brazil thrown in.

I just wanted to bump this because of the Halloween theme thread. This movie is on HBO Go until 10/31. It's like a sign from the God of bad movies that HDTGM should cover it.

Bump because since "Perfect Stranger" is being done live next month, we need some more crazily insane Halle Berry thrillers like this.

Sign in to follow this