🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DartanganMcgee

Stand Up Guys

Finally, what we've all been waiting for, a Walken/Pacino team-up! Not since the abomination Gigli have we had such an oppurtunity. They actually share most of their scenes in this one. Now, I'm having trouble trying to figure out the most concise way to summarize this bizarre film. And I think that's because the filmmaker didn't know what kind of film he wanted to make. It starts off as a strange buddy comedy, sort of a cross between the odd couple and goodfellas if that makes any sense. Pacino and Walken are reunited after Pacino gets out of prison. Then about fifteen minutes in, it turns into a wacky hangover-style romp. As Pacino and Walken go out on the town for a night of boozing, snorting adoral, and banging foriegn prostitutes. There's even a cliched "oops, I took too many boner pills" scene, in which Pacino, you guessed it, takes too many boner pills, and ends up in the hospital. Also, Bill Burr makes an appearance as a gangster, he would make a great guest for this one. By the way this is about half the movie, and they haven't even gotten to the third lead, Alan Arkin, who kills it as always. And you wonder why they didn't put the one comedically adept actor in it from the beginning. It's like they wanted to cram way to much shit into one movie. Kind of like me with this review, and I haven't even gotten to what I'm guessing was the film's main plotline. Anyways, you guys should check it out, it's official release is Friday, but I believe it's on VOD now. It will definitely leave you wondering how it got made.

I just watched Stand Up Guys on Netflix, starring Al Pacino and Christopher Walken. It was like I was watching an alternate reality Hudson Hawk. A lot of the same themes... starts with a guy getting out of prison, a friend pics him up (in an old car), they drink coffee and chat, there is "one more job" that they are coerced into doing, there is no logical concept of time, or laws (they bury their dead friend in a cemetery at night, like a dog. and the daughter is okay with that), they're hounded by a traveling band of goons, rape is somehow involved, etc.

The theme on this one is much darker than Hawks, and its much more ably acted. There's no lack of crazy moments still, however. Currently 37% on RT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h6voLvn8jA

Sign in to follow this