🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 77 — Making Fun of ESL Students

Andrew Ti and Shots Fired hosts Jeff Weiss & MC Nocando answer a teacher’s question about making fun of Japanese ESL students. They are given no examples as to why this teacher finds their work so amusing, Jeff shares a story from his teaching days, and the gang send a message out to all the teachers out there. Keep your questions coming by calling us at (323) 389-RACE.

I'm pretty sure making fun of asian kids really is a masters program at ASU. I'm not sure about dick-bowl eating, though.

Hi Andrew! Caller here, thanks for answering! Here's an example you were missing: one of my students once said "today is a nuts day" instead of crazy, so now me and my friends use that phrase. Just silly stuff like that. Definitely not the l-r shift. And in response to your guest, I have learned a second language in a foreign country and I have made these mistakes countless times, and I still think it's funny. I'll keep your response in mind next time though.

Thanks again!

Oh, another question: If these kids weren't Japanese and were, say, Québécois, would that be different? How? Discuss. Teacher OUT.

Oh, another question: If these kids weren't Japanese and were, say, Québécois, would that be different? How? Discuss.

I think the difference is that the worst anyone could call it would be 'xenophobic' rather than 'racist'.

Sign in to follow this