🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BlueYonder

Correction: The Devil's Advocate

Jason said there hasn't been any "devil" movies in a while, but I'd point him to "Constantine", which features everyone's favorite crazy-Russian-from-Armageddon, Peter Stormare, playing Lucifer himself. And who is Stormare opposite of? KEANU REEVES.

So if you want a "devil" movie, get Keanu and the rest will take care of itself.

I also liked that Julie mentioned they played "Paint in Black" instead of "Sympathy for the Devil" in the end. Interestingly enough, almost exactly three months later, "Fallen" with Denzil Washington closes on "Sympathy of the Devil" at the credits.

There's a message somewhere in there.

Keep up the good work!

Another correction: the reason she was giving her cpr was because a breathing tube might have been sliced

I saw this movie in the theater and came away feeling certain of two things:

1. Keanu Reeves is the worst actor of all time
  2. The red haired girl in the Devil's office was NOT his daughter

This seemed to be a major point of confusion in the episode, so I fired up the way back machine and found some evidence to prove my point.

From an October 1997 review of the film by Paul Tatara:

As I've already stated, there are several poorly cast performers, the main one being Connie Nielson, as the devil's seductive daughter, Christabella. Nielson is an exquisite woman, but with her red hair and peaches-and-cream complexion, she doesn't suggest any darkness, no mystery whatsoever. Early in the film, an elegant actress who plays Pacino's secretary lustfully flashes her eyes in Reeves' direction, and she effortlessly conveys the sort of smoldering heat that Nielson's role called for. A friend of mine worked on the film, and he tells me the actress' name is Caprice Benedetti. For ten seconds, this astonishing, dark-haired beauty burns a small hole in the screen. She's got the devil in her eyes, and that's more than can be said for her higher-paid co-workers. Somebody sign her up.

Read the full review here.

If you look at Caprice Benedetti's IMDB page she's credited as "Menage A Trois Woman" in The Devil's Advocate.

Here's what I think...

The stunning redhead in Pacino's office who eyefucks Keanu is the SAME CHARACTER as the redhead in the elevator threesome with Pacino and Gizelle later on. That character is played by Caprice Benedetti. The Devil's daughter, played by Connie Nielsen, is a completely DIFFERENT CHARACTER; however, the two actresses look similar enough that it's easy to confuse them.

Hi guys!

I was working in a video store when this movie hit VHS. I remember being forced by the production company to stick disclaimer stickers on all 80 copies because a sculptor named Frederick Hart's masterpiece "ex nihilo" was predominantly featured without his consent. I had to place stickers on the movie covers for the rental copies and WB had to cut the scene out before it was released for sale. Here's an old article I found about it. I hated that movie even more after all those stupid stickers. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117467814/

Hi guys!

I was working in a video store when this movie hit VHS. I remember being forced by the production company to stick disclaimer stickers on all 80 copies because a sculptor named Frederick Hart's masterpiece "ex nihilo" was predominantly featured without his consent. I had to place stickers on the movie covers for the rental copies and WB had to cut the scene out before it was released for sale. Here's an old article I found about it. I hated that movie even more after all those stupid stickers. http://www.variety.c...e/VR1117467814/

EIGHTY COPIES!?

• Like 1

Hi guys!

I was working in a video store when this movie hit VHS. I remember being forced by the production company to stick disclaimer stickers on all 80 copies because a sculptor named Frederick Hart's masterpiece "ex nihilo" was predominantly featured without his consent. I had to place stickers on the movie covers for the rental copies and WB had to cut the scene out before it was released for sale. Here's an old article I found about it. I hated that movie even more after all those stupid stickers. http://www.variety.c...e/VR1117467814/

What did the stickers look like? Did they say something crazy? Were they just to cover something?

I'm sorry I'm asking so much about the stickers that you clearly hate. You don't have to answer me if it's too painful.

Yes 80 copies. New Releases came out on Tuesdays which at our store was .99 rental day. We 200 copies of Men in Black. And they were always gone at first.

The sticker was a small white rectangle that said something like "A scene in the following movie contains a piece of art by sculptor Frederick Hart. There is no relationship between the sculpture in 'Devil's Advocate' and Mr. Hart's 'Ex Nihilo.' The artist does not endorse or sponsor or is in any way affiliated with 'Devil's Advocate' or the portrayal of the art work in it." I grabbed some of this from a press release I found about it. I didn't remember all of it of course. Anyways, I'm glad I could get that piece of trivia about this dumb I know too much about off my chest.

Am I allowed to correct the audience? You guys were right that the red-haired daughter woman was Italian. Connie Nielson is Danish, but I'm totally sure that the character wasn't supposed to be. When they walked into the law firm and she was talking on her headset, she was speaking Italian (or something that we're supposed to think sounds like Italian), and her character's name is Christabella Andreoli.

That said, this is my new favorite movie.

Yeah, I think there must have been more recent devil movies that Jason is forgetting.

There was Devil by M. Night Shamalan, which I've never seen, but the main premise is that the devil is in an elevator.

Can anyone think of any more recent Devil movies?

Jason said there hasn't been any "devil" movies in a while, but I'd point him to "Constantine", which features everyone's favorite crazy-Russian-from-Armageddon, Peter Stormare, playing Lucifer himself. And who is Stormare opposite of? KEANU REEVES.

So if you want a "devil" movie, get Keanu and the rest will take care of itself.

I also liked that Julie mentioned they played "Paint in Black" instead of "Sympathy for the Devil" in the end. Interestingly enough, almost exactly three months later, "Fallen" with Denzil Washington closes on "Sympathy of the Devil" at the credits.

There's a message somewhere in there.

Keep up the good work!

My version of this correction is "Suing the Devil" Starring Malcolm McDowell as Satan himself. But Constantine is awesome as well!

Sign in to follow this