🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 81 — PSY

Andrew Ti and Alex Blagg break down America’s fascination with PSY. They talk about what is popular on Youtube, why things become memes, and why William Hung is a completely different story. Leave us a question about racism at (323) 389-RACE.

I agree that PSY's popularity probably had more to do with the song being catchy and appealing to a demographic than anything else, but I'm a little surprised that y'all kinda downplayed or skimmed over the racial implications of Asian pop performers in America...namely, that there are none. There are no Asian pop stars or rappers making it big in the states, and certainly not for lack of trying because there have been crossover attempts for years. And literally the first successful crossover from Asia wasn't someone like Utada Hikaru or the legions of Korean boybands, but...someone like PSY? Certainly talented, but equally chubby and goofy, with a pretty objectively silly music video on youtube?

I feel like that's why the question of racism even comes up with Gangnam Style, because we in the states have had our picks of sexy smoldering talented Asian pop for years, and yet the one that America en masse has latched onto is the unthreatening comedy option. It's certainly indicative of the overall de-sexualization of Asians in western media, even if it's not overtly aggravating that situation.

Sign in to follow this