🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JereGryllz

The Heist (COMPLETELY BONKERS)

I just watched a movie called the Heist. It was a box office bomb from 2001 and for the most part got swept under the rug and forgotten rather quickly. It starred Gene Hackman, Danny DeVito and Delroy Lindo, which is a pretty solid group of actors. I was disappointed in all of their performances. It was almost as if all of the actors in this film had just woken from comas and were having to learn how to speak in comprehensible sentences all over again. The acting was not good. At all. But, the absolute best part of the movie was some of the one liners. One of the lines in the movie was "My motherfucker is cool. He's so cool that when he goes to sleep, sheep count him."(That line was spoken about Gene Hackman's character. Believe me, he is not cool.) I laughed aloud at that line. I think that it may be one of the best worst lines in movie history. Really, just the dialogue in general was bad. Rebecca Pidgeon plays Gene Hackman's wife (big age difference. Gross right?) and does her best job trying to convince the audience that she's a talented actress. She came across more like a robot trying to mimic human emotions. I could go on and on, but I think Paul, June and Jason would have a lot of fun tearing the Heist a new one. And I would have a great time listening to to the episode.

That is the cover of the movie. Remember, it came out in 2001. Not 1993 as the cover would suggest. post-35378-0-12406000-1360641873_thumb.jpg

I loved this movie. Once you get the hang of the idea that the movie is all about false leads and twists, it flows well. The language I could have done without as much since it was a lot of noire-ish slang, but at least it was easy to get an idea of what they were talking about for the most part. And the age difference between Hackman and his wife is nowhere near as bad as Meg and the camp owner from Sleepaway Camp.

How can you hate a movie that contains the line, "Everybody needs money. That's why they call it 'money!'"

I've never seen Sleepaway Camp, sadly. After hearing the episode though, it's definitely on my list. It sounds insane. And yeah, the Heist was certainly entertaining, but it was very cliche. I've seen it all before in other movies, and done better, hahaha. Oh, and I completely forgot about the "That's why they call it money" line! I laughed pretty hard at that too.

I remember the money line being the big selling point on Roger Ebert liking the movie a lot. He always seems to pick one thing in order to give his approval for a movie, whether good or bad (Speed 2 being sensual, Anaconda having character).

Not terrible enough. You have to like that Mamet-style of writing to enjoy it.

Have you seen House of Games or The Spanish Prisoner? Two other Mamet films that are much much better.

No, I haven't. I guess you're right but I thought it was pretty damn bad. Everything about this movie was cheesy to me

Sign in to follow this