🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 6 — Analyze Fish Pt. 2

Paul F. Tompkins, Howard Kremer, and Shelby Fero aka The Jaws Family are back for the thrilling conclusion of Analyze Fish! After something shocking happened during Shelby’s first viewing of Jaws, she decided to watch it a couple of more times in order to get a fresh take on the 1975 classic. Tune in to find out if Shelby enjoyed the movie as much as Paul & Howard, which characters they identify themselves as, and which fish related movies Shelby thinks Paul & Howard haven’t seen.

• Like 1

That was great! The dynamic between the three of them is soo funny! Would love to hear a part 3!

Can't think of any fish movies atm, but I'm sure there are plenty that PFT or Howard hasn't seen.

Love these!! Has anyone at the table not seen Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou?? that would be an awesome episode 3!! You guys are the best!

• Like 1

I genuinely love how informal and unprofessional this podcast is compared to other earwolf podcasts.

I love this too, but more Phish! I think Harris needs to just do the same thing he did with Chocktaw with different comedians who don't like Phish.

A Fish Called Wanda

Also, Shelby must have slept through Empire Strikes Back if she thinks Darth Vader never said "I am your father."

The next "Phish" should be about hackers. Maybe the Social Network!

From the other end of the cinematic spectrum, The Incredible Mr. Limpet. Think of all the Don Knotts impressions!

• Like 1

Haha. I was gonna suggest Limpet before I thought taking the phish in another direction.

Did anyone else lose their $hit when Shelby wasn't sure if the 'shooting the oxygen tank thing was on purpose or not'? Made my day.

To respond to the Knife In The Water analogy:

That film is about a couple on a boat who take on a stranger, and, it progressively becomes more tense as they stay out in open water. The tension mostly erupts from the jealously of the older husband towards his younger wife and this male passenger. It's on Netflix, you decide!

One reason that there is the tension with Mr and Mrs. Brody is that in the book she has an affair with Hooper (who is a dick in the book). Not sure if there were versions of the script where that was included or not.

Also, clearly--

Brody: Shelby (the main character who is taking the journey and learning about something she didn't know. In both cases, a shark)

Quint: Howard (eccentric shark expert)

Hooper: PFT (fast talking, slightly manic shark expert)

• Like 3

What about Hunt for the Red October in part three? It has fish in it. Regardless, we need a part three!

Julie Klausner should do an episode of Analyze Fish with someone who has never seen Splash.

• Like 1

Lincoln was the shark when you think about it. And "Amity Island" is racism. Those guys kinda were all jerks.

EDIT: Oh man yeah it's a pro-fish movie. The water is their home, we should leave them to their world. We have land animals to eat.

Ahhh, this was great! I hope they keep drifting even farther from the original premise. The Phish stuff was great, but I love the idea of swapping out hosts and getting into even more tangentially-related subjects.

RE: The USS Indianapolis - they got the date wrong, but otherwise Quint's account is apparently pretty close. Another thing they got wrong was that a distress signal was sent, but it was ignored by 3 different listening posts. The Navy denied a signal was ever sent and it didn't come to light until decades later when declassified documents were finally released to the public. So I imagine Spielberg was going on the best info he had available at the time.

Analyze Fish(burne) - Someone who loves actor and thespian Larry Fishburne paired with a novice, maybe someone who has never seen The Matrix or it's sequels would be fun (I suddenly wonder if Shelby has seen The Matrix)

Analyze KISS - Have KISS Army General Jimmy Pardo try to convince someone who dislikes the band KISS to enjoy their music

Analyze Wish - Someone over there must like the film Death Wish, right?

Analyze Dish - Two people, each one has a dish they love that the other hates. Can either person change the other's mind?

I love the courtesy with which Paul and Howard either accept or rebuke each other's bits. I could listen to them talk about anything i.e. sharks, sandwiches, boats, jackets...