🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 56 — Nothing But Trouble

The League’s Steve Rannazzisi joined us on a journey into the weird mind of Dan Aykroyd as we watched the truly upsetting Nothing But Trouble. We discuss the baffling set up to the drastically different second half of the movie, if the 2 large greasy men in diapers are indeed humans, and why Digital Underground would choose to take the detour into the run-down village of Valkenvania. We also talk about how John Candy looked depressed to be in this movie, Dan Aykroyd’s obsession with gadgets, and the fact that there are no jokes in this movie.

• Like 2

I'm frankly surprised that it took 56 episodes for someone to ask, "Are these supposed to be humans?" Thank you, June. I nearly peed my pants.

• Like 5

Guys. Guys. Guys.

Guys. I don't think it's poor directing or screenwriting that led to the main characters basically ignoring the Brazilian couple (or brother/sister). I think this movie Tyler Durdened all of us. Demi Moore acts like they're not even there - because they aren't.

In that sense, the Brazilian couple was originally written to represent the cocaine Chevy ingested before the cameras began rolling. That's why they're always trying to get him to make bonkers decisions- taking weird back roads, running from the cops, etc. If you watch the movie again (which I do NOT recommend), it's possible to imagine all of Demi Moore's interactions with Tyler Negron as add-ons after the script was finalized.

[explosion sound] That's right. Your mind is blown now.

• Like 4

does this dragon-drop come with an actual dragon? and Is this really a movie!? this film has given me nightmares ever since I watched it..are they human or are they dancer?

I'm not really sure why this movie is on here. Yes, the movie is bonkers and disgusting but that's the genius of it. There are MUCH worse movies out there.

Digital Underground was the shit back in the day! They were in this crazy movie and the Addams Family 2 as well. Shock G must have had some major Hollywood connects.

I saw this movie as a child, and I was horrified. Since then I've spoken to MANY people who like it. Are they goddamn insane? This movie destroyed my confidence in authority figures. I too had a very visceral reaction to it and frequent nausea, especially to the Judge. I'm gonna go call my therapist now. I think I just had a breakthrough.

• Like 1

i also came across it as a kid of maybe eight or nine, basing my decision to watch it on the somewhat suspect logic of "john candy is in this movie, and john candy does really great movies, because i'm a tiny baby kid."

I did not want to watch this movie again, it did its damage years ago, but I always got a Texas Chainsaw Massacre vibe from the Aykroyd/Candy "family" and, maybe mixing the two movies together in my mind, but were the hotdogs made of the judge's past victims, conveniently deboned?

• Like 2

I know this will upset everyone but this is probably my least favorite ep of this podcast so far, and I'm a huge fan of the podcast in general. It's more of just a rehash of the whole movie instead of the typical disgust, disdain, and general bewilderment shown by the hosts. I guess I just expected to laugh more since the movie was so ridiculous....

• Like 1

Is Chevy Chase character's name in Community (Hawthorne) inspired by his role in this movie (Thorne)?

I fully support the "Fight Club"-Theory about the brazilian couple.

Edit: Picture of the dick-nose. Disgusting.

fKz6pKq.png

Thankfully I have never seen this movie all the way through, just bits and pieces. I still remember that damn roller coaster is the thing nightmares are made up of and that Tupac was for some reason in this.

• Like 1

I saw this movie as a child, and I was horrified. Since then I've spoken to MANY people who like it. Are they goddamn insane? This movie destroyed my confidence in authority figures. I too had a very visceral reaction to it and frequent nausea, especially to the Judge. I'm gonna go call my therapist now. I think I just had a breakthrough.

I haven't seen it, but the description you just gave does not necessarily scream "bad movie" to me.

The heavy metal song playing on the roller coaster was written for the movie. It's called "Mr. Bonestripper" by Damn Yankees. Also, the video for "Same Song" by Digital Underground was a tie-in to the movie and featured Dan Akroyd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1iwYcC_GTY

Also, I'm surprised no one caught the eponymous line in the movie. When Demi Moore is having her bipolar makeout session with Chevy Chase, she says something about always choosing the wrong guy and then breaks away from Chevy and goes to bed saying "You're nothing but trouble!" So the title isn't referring to psychopaths and deathtraps, but to the financial publisher who lends someone his car. The scamp!

• Like 1

I know this will upset everyone but this is probably my least favorite ep of this podcast so far, and I'm a huge fan of the podcast in general. It's more of just a rehash of the whole movie instead of the typical disgust, disdain, and general bewilderment shown by the hosts. I guess I just expected to laugh more since the movie was so ridiculous....

I heard an abundance of disgust, disdain and general bewilderment.

• Like 1

As someone who's been pulled over on on the way to Atlantic City, I can attest that there's some crazy shit in those little N.J. towns. I don't remember seeing any dick noses though.

• Like 2

I'm frankly surprised that it took 56 episodes for someone to ask, "Are these supposed to be humans?" Thank you, June. I nearly peed my pants.

For me, my breakpoint was Episode 37, "Speed 2". I'm still not convinced.

As someone who's been pulled over on on the way to Atlantic City, I can attest that there's some crazy shit in those little N.J. towns. I don't remember seeing any dick noses though.

There's a series of films about this camp outside of a small town in New Jersey where all these massacres take place, yet it still manages to get re-opened year after year. "It won't happen again, because Jason is dead!", says the local law enforcement six or seven times. I think it's a documentary.

Hey guys how about doing some more recent movies more often? Outside of Liz&Dick/Timothy Green/Twilight we've had like 5 months straight of stuff mostly from the 90's. You know Adam Sandler is still working right?

Hey guys how about doing some more recent movies more often? Outside of Liz&Dick/Timothy Green/Twilight we've had like 5 months straight of stuff mostly from the 90's. You know Adam Sandler is still working right?

they'd probably like to continue working in the industry

• Like 3

I love the way Jason can "yes and" the most terrible/ridiculous things. Just listen to the way he casually says "Here's the thing about Mr. Bonestripper" at 22:10.

This movie might be too fucked up to even have a comical discussion about. Geez. I feel bad for anyone who has seen this more than once.