100 replies to this topic

#21 johnnyhaggis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

View Postpokey, on 21 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Marissa Wompler doesn't talk like an average 16 year old because she's absolutely not an average 16 year old. She's a precocious weirdo. That's why she's such a great character!

I agree that she's really funny, and I'm probably the only one who feels this way (whiich is why I feel OK making this criticism, cause she's super popular) but she knows every 80s reference, she knows too much about the work world, politics, sex, etc. so she has the right attitude, and is a quick funny thinker, but there's no effort at being a teenager, and that drives me nuts, especially because the character is otherwise really funny.

Or, she could make jokes about knowing all these things, which would make it funny in a diffrent way. But anyways, I'm the only person who feels that way, but I think the character would be ten times better with a teeny bit of research. Just find what teen girls watch and read or say

Every word that came out of Lapkus' mouth could have come out of a real teenage boy's mouth, she obviosuly must have been hanging oit with one, and to me that's why Todd was a good character

To whoever said he was annoying - I think that was the point! She nailed the teen boy thing

#22 Mike Deaven

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostGerard Smith, on 21 February 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

Zing!

Edit: And eh just to be clear, no issues with Nick or anything just the guy who took his money.

Yeah, I just want to add my voice to calling out this absurdity. And as much as I like Nick and his comedy, there is an issue with someone spouting nonsense like that as though it is fact without properly informing themselves. Imagine that, a "Natural Doctor" can find all these parasites that actual doctors cannot, and then they cure them with vegetable juice. Especially hilarious is that Giardia infections generally clear up on their own. So yeah, I feel bad for Nick because he's totally been had by a quack, but also he should inform himself better before he goes off spewing this bullshit.

#23 klem_johansen

Sea Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

"It seemed legal at the time" is my first go-to phrase the next time I happen to find myself in a late night conversation with a police officer.

#24 bigicecream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

This wasn't BAD by any means but it wasn't particularly noteworthy. Thune is an incredible guest but I just couldn't really get into Adomian's Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I think he could tell that it wasn't going over that well and that's why he brought out his much better impression, Giamatti. The PSH voice just really doesn't sound like him, especially when yelling.

I feel like Scott wasn't really into PSH because pretty much every response to him was "Cool." Thune definitely tuned out too.

Todd was completely forgettable. I love Lapkus in almost everything she's in, but I think it was too similar to Neil Campbell's teenage boy and Wompler and every other "teenage kid" that seems to pop up every 2 months.

I think with Scott focusing so much time on the TV show, a forgettable one like this is to be expected every once in a while.

#25 mwn

problem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationNH

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

It took 75 minutes, and it followed multiple instances of child abuse and rape, but PSH saying "scrape the cum off his back and make him eat it" was what finally got Scott to say "oh boy."

@

#26 johnnyhaggis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

haha - I agree that this wasn't the best James Adomian character - I think he's a genius, and it's rare that one of his characters doesn't shine, but this is one of those rare times. I'd like to see Todd in another show with scott and maybe Bob Ducca, family mess!

About Nick Thune's doctor - holy shit, I forgot about that part. I think it's fine to be skeptical of western doctors, but you should also be skeptical of naturopaths or "natural doctors" which is a term I've never even heard before. Thune seemed so completely credulous about the parasites diagnosis, which does really smack of being a scam - everyone's got them, in the brain too? Somehow this has eluded western medicine? Maybe, but you'd think he'd have interrogated the doctor a bit as to how he knows it's parasites, how the treatment works, why MD docs wouldn't notice it etc, and my impression is that he seemed reaaaaly credulous about all of it!

#27 StoneColdDumDum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Location1122 Boogie Woogie Avenue

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

What is the Fortunately/Unfortunately theme song?

#28 VampiresVampiresVampires

Poet Laureate of the West

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLand Virginnie

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

This is going to get weirder(Scott). Todd sounds EXACTLY like Kulap doing her petulant child voices in the Who Charted? commercial spots.

Did Scott steal Kulap from her family and lock her away too? Is Todd another personality of Kulap's schizophrenia? Is Kulap another personality of Todd's schizophrenia?

#29 pokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:44 PM

View Postjohnnyhaggis, on 21 February 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

but there's no effort at being a teenager

I don't think that's fair. She has all these quirky, teenaged contradictions: she freaks out about sex even while she brings it up, she's super confident and also insecure, she's unexpectedly mature in some ways and woefully immature in others. Besides that, she's inappropriately loud, easily excited, and her voice has a teenage energy.

Part of the depth of her character is that she's unlike most teenagers. She doesn't get along with them or talk like them, and she's not interested in the same things.

View Postjohnnyhaggis, on 21 February 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Just find what teen girls watch and read or say

I do get what you're talking about, but stuff like that wouldn't sharpen the character…it would be a different character.

#30 pokey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

View Postjohnnyhaggis, on 21 February 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

I'd like to see Todd in another show with scott and maybe Bob Ducca, family mess!

Yes! An Aukerman family reunion!

#31 justinmh05

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

View Postpokey, on 21 February 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Yes! An Aukerman family reunion!

Don't forget Weirdest Kulap and Gloria!

#32 brotherTodd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC... But my heart's in Chicagoland

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

"I've the biggest penis, ever!!!", is my new catchphrase.

#33 rattail

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Adomian's PSH sounds like Beetlejuice. This episode was so great.

#34 FrankLangellaMonologue

Spice Girls Apologist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

This episode touched me in a bad place.

#35 dr. burritopizza

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I can't explain how much I wish I could see this episode on video.

#36 johnnyhaggis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

View Postdr. burritopizza, on 21 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

I can't explain how much I wish I could see this episode on video.

Hahaha, when I was listening I was thinking the opposite "holy shit, I'm so glad I don't have to see the video of this!"

#37 Cody Skully

Earwolf Engineer

• Administrators
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostStoneColdDumDum, on 21 February 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

What is the Fortunately/Unfortunately theme song?

It's a song by Culture Club called "Unfortunate Thing"!

#38 BenFromSD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

What is it about Lapkus that makes Scott go all weird and pervy? I refer the jury, of course, to "I think it means...bend over bitch?"

#39 Jacob C

Stolen by a Mean Crab

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

-Would you ask that same question if you were across the table from Gandalf...ini?

-Scotty, what makes you think you'd be welcome on this journey?

-ANY film they make is a short film!--Scott, on the Chinese.

#40 TheLawnWrangler

Resident Fortune Cookie Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

I liked this episode quite a lot! Really weird, but goddammit, that's what I love about the show.

I REALLY want to see the video of an episode with Adomian. Just want to witness him standing and screaming and such.
Blame the stupid mime.