181 replies to this topic

#41 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostDan Engler, on 23 July 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

While I haven't seen Beyond The Mat yet, it's been near the top of my "to-watch" queue since being discussed on Jonah Raydio. Particularly:

Spoiler

Apropos of nothing: Welcome back, Shariq.

Thanks, Dan. Good to be back :)

#42 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postcat & beard, on 24 July 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

Duuude, it's such a good watch if you were ever into wrestling during its respective heydays in the 80s and 90s. Seeing how far Jake "The Snake" has fallen and how amazing and real Mick Foley is, it's incredible. There's a scene where Mick Foley/Mankind is getting the shit beat out of him with a chair and his family is backstage watching in sheer terror; I think I might have cried.

It's crazy how many fans, for so long, didn't think of pro wrestlers as actual humans with lives but like actual larger than life superheroes -- which they also sort of are.

Yeah, the life of a former pro wrestler is not good at all. Virgil, the Million Dollar Man's sidekick, does those independent circuit shows in high school gyms now. The funniest/saddest part was when the dude from ECW said they couldn't use Jake the Snake because negotiated his fee was a bag of crack rock and some beer.

#43 Shariq Torres

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Also, I gotta leave this on the board. One of my favorite wrestlers growing up, the Iron Shiek.

#44 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

Bob Gunton can be added to the list. He was Frank Deverelll in Glimmer Man and Chief George Earle in Demolition Man
Brother

#45 pepperjack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Nikki Cox's wiki says she was an (uncredited) dancer in Mac and Me. Not sure if that's good enough to be an 'All Star.'

#46 Shannon

-------- Moderator -------- Mother of Wolves

• Administrators
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Welcome to the list Bob Gunton and Nikki Cox!
mah tumblr. tweets! etsy

Need help with Howl? Email me! support@howl.fm

#47 Lando

Sold out Han

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationCloud City

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

Should Jeff Healy be added? Jason pointed out that was in Roadhouse and on the soundtrack for The Glimmer Man
Brother

#48 cat & beard

our fluoride is gluten free

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostLando, on 11 September 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

Should Jeff Healy be added? Jason pointed out that was in Roadhouse and on the soundtrack for The Glimmer Man

Poor Jeff Healey. At least he was unable to see these shitty fuckin' movies he was involved in.

#49 trackercowe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think James Franco needs to be added. He was in Spider-Man 3, and also had the cameo in The Wicker Man.

You could also add the entire cast of Fast 5 + 6, but you might not want to go that in depth.

Vin Diesel
Paul Walker
Dwayne Johnson
Jordana Brewster
Tyrese Gibson
Sung Kang
Gal Gadot
Lucacris
Else Pataky

Think that's all of them. I guess the same could be done for Twilight, but I don't want to look up the cast of that junk. Then of course there are the HDTGM All-Star Directors!

M. Knight Shyamalan (The Last Airbender and After Earth)
Justin Lin (Fast Five + Six)
Joel Shumacher (Batman and Robin + Trespass)
Bill Condon (both Twilight's)

#50 SlidePocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hey Shannon, now that Toys is going to be covered this Tuesday, can you add Robin Williams to the 2-timers club based on his appearances in both this movie and Old Dogs?

#51 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostShariq Torres, on 24 July 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Yeah, the life of a former pro wrestler is not good at all. Virgil, the Million Dollar Man's sidekick, does those independent circuit shows in high school gyms now. The funniest/saddest part was when the dude from ECW said they couldn't use Jake the Snake because negotiated his fee was a bag of crack rock and some beer.

Worse, he was photographed a couple months back in the New York Subway with a little table set up hocking pictures and autographs for like 5 bucks, as it seems he lost his gym teacher job at a high school. Watching Beyond the Mat was tough for me because Jake Roberts was my favorite as a kid and to see him like that was horrible. Though it seems he's seriously trying to turn it around, he's been up and down for years. More shocking is that outside of a few guys: Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, and Bruno Sammartino, almost no wrestler has lived past the age of 65, whether it's due to drug problems, suicide, or an accident.
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#52 cat & beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 23 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostRyan Sz, on 22 September 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

More shocking is that outside of a few guys: Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, and Bruno Sammartino, almost no wrestler has lived past the age of 65, whether it's due to drug problems, suicide, or an accident.

Or the fact that they're getting slammed and punched like linebackers, without the benefit of protection, sometimes for decades. I imagine I'd be addicted to painkillers, too.

#53 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

View Postcat & beard, on 23 September 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Or the fact that they're getting slammed and punched like linebackers, without the benefit of protection, sometimes for decades. I imagine I'd be addicted to painkillers, too.

That's usually the cause yeah. Most people give pro wrestlers crap for having scripted matches. What they don't realize is that in order to properly take a bump, it takes months of training just to get your body used to it since the human body will naturally and involuntarily try to protect itself. Add to that that there is no "off season" for pro wrestlers and that many work hurt for lighter injuries, nothing like broken bones or torn muscles, that they try and cover the pain to keep working. Probably one of the most infamous addicts was the British Bulldog, who after shattering the lower part of his spine in a match, became addicted to a laundry list of pills, and only got clean after his wife OD'ed herself to prove a point to him. The WWE now has a great system where any former employee can receive rehab free of charge, mainly because it became such a huge issue.
"If I'm holding a baby and I say 'cunt punch,' it's gonna be pretty fucking funny." - Zouks

#54 SlidePocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

Robin Williams and Bruce Campbell have to be added to this list because of their two appearances, Williams with Old Dogs and Toys, and Campbell with Spider-Man 3 and Congo.

#55 ADoer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostShariq Torres, on 24 July 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

Yeah, the life of a former pro wrestler is not good at all. Virgil, the Million Dollar Man's sidekick, does those independent circuit shows in high school gyms now.

Inspiring the meme 'Lonely Virgil' seen here at lonelyvirgil.net

*the Million Dollar Man has showed up at our church once. I guess he's something of an evangelist inspirational-speaker guy. He was a very nice man btw.

#56 Ryan Sz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostADoer, on 04 October 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Inspiring the meme 'Lonely Virgil' seen here at lonelyvirgil.net

*the Million Dollar Man has showed up at our church once. I guess he's something of an evangelist inspirational-speaker guy. He was a very nice man btw.

Yeah, he actually has like a traveling wrestling/church. He came to my town a few years back and the first half of the show is basically a full wrestling card featuring guys like the Honky Tonk Man and himself including some current wrestlers. After the show he then holds a sermon that the audience is free to leave if they just wanted to see wrestling. I would have loved to see the show, but they didn't really promote it as well as they should have so most people only found out about it after the fact or if they were regular church goers.

It's a weird thing with wrestlers, after they leave the business they fall into one of a few categories: a combination of down on their luck guys who wrestle in high school gyms and get in trouble with the law, real estate agents, or pastors, fo the most part.

#57 cat & beard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationShredstaurant

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostRyan Sz, on 04 October 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

It's a weird thing with wrestlers, after they leave the business they fall into one of a few categories: a combination of down on their luck guys who wrestle in high school gyms and get in trouble with the law, real estate agents, or pastors, fo the most part.

Well it's not like most of them ever went to a trade school or college or have any training in any vocation whatsoever and are missing a ton of brain cells from drug use and getting beat up repeatedly. So yeah, I guess that qualifies them to tell Christians what to do.

#58 Shannon

• Administrators
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

List is updated!

And regarding the Fast/Twilight cast situation that someone brought up, I've decided that those cast members need at least 1 other appearance outside of the franchise to get on the list. Otherwise, I'd have to add like 40 people for movies that are basically the same.

Also, dudes the off topic wrestling conversation has gone on long enough here. Move it somewhere else please and thank you.
mah tumblr. tweets! etsy

#59 Shannon

• Administrators
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

Finally watched Street Fighter the other night and noticed a missing name

welcome to the list Miguel A Nunez Jr!
mah tumblr. tweets! etsy

#60 Kickpuncher

Sentient Meat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Found a new one with two appearances: Tania Saulnier - In the Name of the King, The Wicker Man