🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 57 — From Justin To Kelly: LIVE!

Recorded live at Largo in Los Angeles, Nick Kroll returns as we figure out what is going on in the American Idol musical that is From Justin To Kelly! We discuss Kelly Clarkson’s outfit choices, if anyone could hear each other singing, and who’s which Grease character. We also talk about Justin & Kelly’s disgusting first meeting, the evil Paris Hilton stunt double, and the awful Pennsylvania Posse beat box on the beach. Who does Jason believe is behind the making of this movie? Tune in to find out!

There were lots of things I thought would pay off later, but never did. For instance, I thought the girls' luggage would be stolen after they gleefully left it unattended in the back of their pickup on a crowded street. Also, did anyone else think Carlos was going to turn out to be gay? He seems so reticent to acknowledge the black girl at first, then starts to say something like "I'm not the kind of guy who..." and then his boss interrupts him before he can finish. I thought we were headed for some big reveal.

So much of this baffles me the more I think of it. The white rapper douchebag at one point boasts how he doesn't know what it feels like to be turned down...when he's been turned down by literally every woman he's approached the whole movie.

And how the hell does the BR&J business model work? They just seem to show up places, declare there's a party by fiat, and then collect admission. Did they rent these spaces and build the various stages themselves? June pointed out how they seem to have $1,000 to give away, but after the events he's always going "Hell, yeah! I made 350 bucks!"

Never thought any episode could top the perfect Superman III discussion, but this might have done it. Amazing work, guys.

I also thought that was a dumb fan question...at first! When they put it together though, oh man craziness!

Just a perfect episode, all the way through.

I hate to nitpick, but that actually was Michelle Pfeiffer in Grease 2, not her sister.

• Like 1

If Kelly Clarkson plops her fat ass down on your toilet, you better get the plunger ready.

She BEEFS.

She’ll drop 5 or 6 forearm-sized logs in there with no flushes in between. Rumor has it that on the set of “From Justin to Kelly” she used to shit in the shower and heel it down the drain.

When I was in high school I worked at a 2nd run movie theatre where it was $1.99 for a ticket. We would get the movies a variable amount of time after the first run movie theatres, based on how good they were doing. Movies like Finding Nemo etc we wouldn't get till like 4 months later. We got From Justin to Kelly about 3 days after it opened in regular theaters, which was about 11 days faster than any other movie.

• Like 1

To Jason's point:

photo_13.jpglove-ff-10-et-10-2-vip-blog-com-343271rikku.jpg

Kelly and Rikku (Final Fantasy X-2)

• Like 8

Is that stifled Paul F. Tompkins laughter I hear at 01:06?

Does this mean Paul is always lurking in the wings at Largo, like some sort of...Phantom?

• Like 1

To Jason's point:

photo_13.jpglove-ff-10-et-10-2-vip-blog-com-343271rikku.jpg

Kelly and Rikku (Final Fantasy X-2)

I fucking love this. Especially the dude behind kelly. Check out the pose all those dancers were hitting just during this one still frame.

Watching this movie without sound would be incredible.

"Well, it's Spring Break, so a lot of times your outfit ends up covered in jizz."

Yeah, this episode was great.

I hate to nitpick, but that actually was Michelle Pfeiffer in Grease 2, not her sister.

Got me wondering whether they were BOTH in Grease 2. Dede Pfeiffer WAS in a piece-of-garbage movie, though: The Allnighter with Susannah Hoffs.

Does this mean Paul is always lurking in the wings at Largo, like some sort of...Phantom?

Maybe PFT's Andrew Lloyd Weber can put on a production of Phantom at the Largo.

• Like 1

I also want to talk about the fashion in this movie, but for a different reason. I understand it seems baffling and I don't disagree. But when I was watching this the other night for the first time since it came out I started having crazy flashbacks. 2003 was the year of my life that I spent the most time and money at the mall and I owned a variation of almost everything worn by the girls in this film. Initial shirts, like in the first scene, several pairs of white cropped pants, a million different halter tops. I even made a backpack (not a skirt, sadly) out of a pair of shorts and a bunch of men's ties. 2003 almost doesn't feel like 10 years ago, but it certainly looks it.

Something I was sad no one mentioned is the evil cunt's solo song and how it's HORRIFYING and it sounds like a cassette tape that got left in the sun and melted because the backing track and the main melody directly clash with each other. Also, the backing track sounds like the a capella breakdown from Boys II Men's song "Thank You" but tuned up several keys. Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me at all if it was exactly that.

Here's the audio if any curious people want to damage their ears forever

This episode was AMAZING. I demand a million more like it.

• Like 4

This episode was one of your best! I can't wait to make Jason's 'White Guys Rapping' freestyle in to a ringtone.

• Like 1

I'm going to add my voice to the chorus of people praising this episode. The podcast is always amazing, though, so no surprise there. What is unique about this episode, and what stood out to me as soon as it started, is how great the crowd was. The rambunctious cheering and great questions really put this one over the top.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this