🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 95 — Math

Kyle talks about finally meeting Daniel Radcliffe (!!!), Tig talks about a recent romantic road trip, and David talks about his tired mammal partner on today’s Professor Blastoff! Then the crew dives into numbers with the help of listener Abe Kunin. He teaches math at the junior high level and comes from a long line of math professors but he’s never dealt with a class like this. They talk about the misleading use of statistics and how numbers can lie in sports, politics, and education. Also discussed is whether you can count your total number of farts in a year. No stone goes unturned on Professor Blastoff!

• Like 1

Ooo, I'm very excited for this topic. And it gives a chance for Kyle to go back to his riddle roots when they were often filled with counting.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I thought that Tiger bit by Kyle and Tig was hilarious.

I'm going to hell. :mellow:

Great guest though.

A new Professor Blastoff and beef jerky are pretty much the only things getting me through this particular Tuesday. So, I hope this is a good one. No pressure, but you guys are my only hope.

• Like 2

So if we account for all of human history, there are still 8% of humans living? That number seems way too high to me, despite the fact that the world's population has only increased...

Just saw an article in Scientific American that put the estimate closer to 6%... Still, that's pretty amazing, considering the current generation of humans, time-wise, has only lived a tiny fraction of humanity's overall span.

I LOVE to picture Kyle meeting Harry Potter and doing all of that discussion and the picture, then turning to meet the former Vice President and pretty much looking past him to the restroom and mumbling something like, "Done in there?".

• Like 1

Ooo, I'm very excited for this topic. And it gives a chance for Kyle to go back to his riddle roots when they were often filled with counting.

Alas...

If eating is "cramming DNA into DNA", does that make it the biological equivalent of a hat on a hat?

Where is that Kyle/Radcliffe photo we were promised?

Can anyone with, as they say "that kind of time," make a supercut of every single a cappella Dr. Aaron Burrell intro? Just drums, the trumpeting, and then Aaron saying 'Thanks Guys' over and over and over again?

I would be interested in hearing all those variations on a theme.

• Like 2

Alas...

If eating is "cramming DNA into DNA", does that make it the biological equivalent of a hat on a hat?

Where is that Kyle/Radcliffe photo we were promised?

kyle_radcliffe.jpg

• Like 3

pretty sure aaron asks "are you looking to register a new mhhnn nomaind" during the commercial at 30 minutes making it my favorite five seconds of pure distilled aaron ever

• Like 1

I thought Abe Kunin did a great job! Mathematics has many interesting facets and he did his best to touch on several . There was the usual great back and forth with the hosts. Abe mentioned how hard it is to hear what is going on as a phone-in guest. I can totally vouch for that. There can be a delay and some distortion on the line and, as a guest, one doesn't want to step on any funny lines or bring the show to a halt. He did really well on that score. Part Two, anyone?

First time listener. I was intrigued by the topics and mixing comedy in with discussion, so I thought I'd give it a try. But I thought the guest was treated rudely, and it made me not want to listen further. Interrupting him repeatedly with a Donald Trump impersonation a few times was a little funny, but it was taken too far. And then immediately after that, chattering away while the guest was talking. In general you gave the impression you were bored with him.

The more I learn about statistics, the less I know about statistics. ):

Nice wrangle David. I'm sorry to say, but very true, very rude to the guest! There's been a few times where the guest just gets talked over and it becomes a little awkward and frankly annoying. If you're going to have a guest on then let him talk, don't rudely talk over him!!! I love this podcast and I love the hosts, but that is definitely one of my criticisms. Other than keep up the solid work!

Oh, and please stop the abhorrent harmonies and please continue the punky's. I could listen to a full episode of Name that Punky!!!

Sign in to follow this