🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I think it's just kinda gross how gung ho our culture is when it comes to bashing and judging young women. It's an absurd amount of scrutiny. As for her twerking, who cares.

• Like 3

A lot of people just *jokingly* claim it's because she was Hannah Montana, but I'm pretty sure that's at the root of public backlash. People just cant's get over that she's not entertaining kids anymore, which just really says more about the world of Child Stars rather than just Miley as a whole. We expect them to be 12 forever, and get shocked when Lindsay Lohan is in rehab. It's not because she is an actress, but because she's the adorable kid from The Parent Trap just living her life and making mistakes like all people.

**pseudo-philosophical moment over**

Not to defend Lohan, but unlike Cyrus Lohan was once quite good at her chosen career path; The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, and Mean Girls were all very good movies and she performed quite well in them. Furthermore I thought Lohan was legitimately smoking hot back in the day, while Cyrus was never as attractive in comparison. Cyrus was't all that good before or after this trainwreck, she's sort of like the musical version of Tara Reid.

Lindsay Lohan>>>Miley Cyrus.

Not to defend Lohan, but unlike Cyrus Lohan was once quite good at her chosen career path; The Parent Trap, Freaky Friday, and Mean Girls were all very good movies and she performed quite well in them. Furthermore I thought Lohan was legitimately smoking hot back in the day, while Cyrus was never as attractive in comparison. Cyrus was't all that good before or after this trainwreck, she's sort of like the musical version of Tara Reid.

I'm not sure how much of a decision they have in picking their projects or what projects are picked FOR them, but it's gotta drive some of those younger actors crazy when whey keep doing movies aimed at an audience that they've outgrown (or that's outgrown THEM). I mean, when you're talking about someone like Lohan, if you look at her work, she had a period of maybe a year or two where she was a really big deal, but then she kept doing the same bullshit, and it got really old. Meanwhile, you've got actresses like Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin who were doing movies early on that WEREN'T necessarily aimed at people their own age, and they've gone on to be perfectly sane people with no problems and careers that are likely to continue for quite some time. It might be a combination of people looking out for them and having parents that AREN'T sociopaths that does the trick. Jesus, Lohan's parents have probably had more screen time in recent years than she has, and they are terrible, terrible people...

I think it's just kinda gross how gung ho our culture is when it comes to bashing and judging young women. It's an absurd amount of scrutiny. As for her twerking, who cares.

I'll judge the hell out of Biebs as well.

Ahem: http://www.amazon.com/Speak-Lindsay-Lohan/dp/B00065JTB0

The problem is that she is so disingenuous that her actions are absolutely absurd. She's playing at being poor and black, but is neither and with her wealth from the Disney TV show and movies, etc probably never will be. She's just using poor black people do make herself seem "edgy" and "rebellious".

I actually meant her 2000 performance, where she performed "Oops" and stripped down from a style suit to a skin toned outfit like Miley's (Made of reasonable fabric rather than horrible latex). I though "Oh, she's stripping to where she's LOOKS naked like Britney"

Of Course, 2003 Britney is just 2000 Britney + 2007 Britney, so that comparison makes sense

I also have a lot to say about the racism and "minstrel show" comparisons she recieved, but I'll save those for when "How Did This Get Recorded?" is made.

You can state your opinions on my new podcast, "How Did This Get Twerked?"

• Like 2

I'm not sure how much of a decision they have in picking their projects or what projects are picked FOR them, but it's gotta drive some of those younger actors crazy when whey keep doing movies aimed at an audience that they've outgrown (or that's outgrown THEM). I mean, when you're talking about someone like Lohan, if you look at her work, she had a period of maybe a year or two where she was a really big deal, but then she kept doing the same bullshit, and it got really old. Meanwhile, you've got actresses like Dakota Fanning and Abigail Breslin who were doing movies early on that WEREN'T necessarily aimed at people their own age, and they've gone on to be perfectly sane people with no problems and careers that are likely to continue for quite some time. It might be a combination of people looking out for them and having parents that AREN'T sociopaths that does the trick. Jesus, Lohan's parents have probably had more screen time in recent years than she has, and they are terrible, terrible people...

Yeah, what you said, pretty much. Lohan did have a chance at a certain point to steer her career; I mean, she got to work with Robert Altman which certainly could have led to better things, but I don't think she made many friends because of her problems (hungover as shit and late to set) during filming. It's a shame, because like you said, I think she does have a degree of talent, as seen in Mean Girls. And like thestray said upthread, it's just insane how acceptable it is to judge and shame the shit out of kids as though they are seasoned pros like Michael Douglas or something (not like that's super cool either, our culture of celebrity schadenfreude is a whole 'nother discussion).

• Like 1

I don't like South Park, but they had an episode about Britney that was spot on. We build them up to take them down again.

But Hollywood has a very forgiving nature, as evidenced by Drew Barrymore's and RDJ's careers. They were both fuck ups for a long time, but when they wanted to change their lives around, there was no shortage of people ready to give them a shot. Everyone wants to be associated with the underdog that has the odds stacked against them but does good in the end.

I'll judge the hell out of Biebs as well.

Is Biebs this generation's Corey Haim?

Is Biebs this generation's Corey Haim?

I'd rather he be this generation's River Phoenix, because by my clock that means we've only got to deal with him for about another four more years or so. Tick tock...

• Like 1

I'd rather he be this generation's River Phoenix, because by my clock that means we've only got to deal with him for about another four more years or so. Tick tock...

I would say Heath Ledger was this generation's River Phoenix. Biebs is so teeny bobby. I want to amend my comparsion; he is this generation's Peter Frampton.

I would say Heath Ledger was this generation's River Phoenix. Biebs is so teeny bobby. I want to amend my comparsion; he is this generation's Peter Frampton.

I guess I was just going more for the one that left us the earliest. I think maybe you meant Leif Garrett, because Peter Frampton has done stuff that people still listen to!

The problem is that she is so disingenuous that her actions are absolutely absurd. She's playing at being poor and black, but is neither and with her wealth from the Disney TV show and movies, etc probably never will be. She's just using poor black people do make herself seem "edgy" and "rebellious".

When did she play at being "poor"? I guess I don't follow the happenings of Miley Cyrus as closely as other people.

I understand the problematic sociological implications of what she's doing, but at the end of the day I mostly feel she's just like any other young person embracing what is hip in mainstream American pop culture. Twerking is part of mainstream American pop culture being consumed by the masses, it's in music videos of billboard topping recording artists, in youtube videos, in gifs on tumblr, it's what every other young woman of any race is doing in the club. So as absurd and disingenuous as it may be, I think she's just another person doing what she thinks is cool now.

But really though, it's not Miley trying to be black that America is reacting to, it's her suddenly behaving in a sexually suggestive way that's got everybody all whipped into a tizzy, the image that's gone viral is of her with her ass up against Robin Thicke and people are all shocked about that for some reason. People are acting like it's the craziest wildest shit they've ever seen, and it's like jeez calm the fuck down everyone, what's the big deal. She shakes her ass against a man wearing almost nothing and now people are anticipating a future meltdown, as if being sexual makes her automatically a young woman in crisis. I don't think you're wrong about the racial stuff, but I think people are tearing her down for the completely wrong (completely sexist and slut shaming) reasons.

And if I had to hear Paul, June and Jason get into it I'd probably skip the episode because I definitely don't want to hear more Miley Cyrus talk on one of the podcasts that brings me the most joy in life.

• Like 4

Twerking is part of mainstream American pop culture being consumed by the masses

Mark my words, "twerking" died the moment it was uttered by a reporter on TV.

• Like 1

I didn't think it was offensive or inappropriate... I just thought it was embarrassing. None of the twerking was as offensive as those faces she was making.

Once it's run it's course, I can't say I'll mourn at all for all the twunemployed.

• Like 2

I guess I was just going more for the one that left us the earliest. I think maybe you meant Leif Garrett, because Peter Frampton has done stuff that people still listen to!

You are right. It is Leif Garrett, the one who got in a car crash and ended up paralyzing someone who was riding with him. I see something similar in the future for Biebs on VH1's "Behind The Music". Maybe in Bieb's episode he's talking to some girl who has brain damage because her and Justin stayed up all night doing molly and dancing and living a YOLO lifestyle.

I am now remembering that I saw Leif Garrett open up for The Melvins back in maybe 1998 or 1999. That happened. He toured with them and mostly did terrible covers (Smells Like Teen Spirit, ugh).

When did she play at being "poor"? I guess I don't follow the happenings of Miley Cyrus as closely as other people.

I understand the problematic sociological implications of what she's doing, but at the end of the day I mostly feel she's just like any other young person embracing what is hip in mainstream American pop culture. Twerking is part of mainstream American pop culture being consumed by the masses, it's in music videos of billboard topping recording artists, in youtube videos, in gifs on tumblr, it's what every other young woman of any race is doing in the club. So as absurd and disingenuous as it may be, I think she's just another person doing what she thinks is cool now.

But really though, it's not Miley trying to be black that America is reacting to, it's her suddenly behaving in a sexually suggestive way that's got everybody all whipped into a tizzy, the image that's gone viral is of her with her ass up against Robin Thicke and people are all shocked about that for some reason. People are acting like it's the craziest wildest shit they've ever seen, and it's like jeez calm the fuck down everyone, what's the big deal. She shakes her ass against a man wearing almost nothing and now people are anticipating a future meltdown, as if being sexual makes her automatically a young woman in crisis. I don't think you're wrong about the racial stuff, but I think people are tearing her down for the completely wrong (completely sexist and slut shaming) reasons.

And if I had to hear Paul, June and Jason get into it I'd probably skip the episode because I definitely don't want to hear more Miley Cyrus talk on one of the podcasts that brings me the most joy in life.

She specifically said she wanted something that sounded "black" for her next album. That's why people are upset because this is what she thinks Black culture is. And you are correct that some of the backlash is tinged with these sexist ideas about what is "proper" and "improper" for women to do with their bodies, those people conveniently neglect to speak on the appropriation and racial issues in the performance. Because at the end of the day, we are just looking at a rich country white girl use black women -- and black women's perceived sexuality as lustful sluts who slut around -- to transform opinions of other white people about her.

Jezebel is a pretty shitty site but there is a good article that one of the commenters there wrote that sums up things.

And you see a single tear flow down each of the Yin Yang Twins' faces.

I am now remembering that I saw Leif Garrett open up for The Melvins back in maybe 1998 or 1999. That happened. He toured with them and mostly did terrible covers (Smells Like Teen Spirit, ugh).

That would have been around the time of his "Behind the Music", where he became the poster boy for "Jesus, don't fuckin' be like this guy" and had some sort of notoriety for that brief period of time. Like EVERYONE on that show, he'd straightened out and was making new, terrible music before returning to being a complete fuck-up.

This movie is like a bad ABC back to school special.

The scene when Lola talking to her mother about her shaving her self Brazilian. What Mother daughter has that conversation.

I've only seen the trailer, and in all honesty it underwhelmed me. The poster made me think this was about some hard-partying rich girl who was becoming detached from her family. You know, a movie that could gloriously fail. But mild teen rom-com with technology just seems like a bore.

I did love the trailer for "So Undercover", though. I giggled and she does certainly have charm.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this