🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DartanganMcgee

Coneheads (1993)

A feature film based on a twenty year old comedy sketch. This must have been when Aykroyd began to realize that Ghostbusters 3 wasn't happening, and was forced to reach into the vault and rehash another one of his old ideas(we would be subjected to a terrible blues brothers sequel not five years later). It's been heartbreaking to watch him slowly slip into dementia, and start schilling vodka in skull bottles, while rambling about aliens. Aside from Aykroyd, this film is filled with a cavalcade of other funny people, who aren't really doing anything funny. Roger Ebert described this film as,"dismal, dreary, and fairly desperate", I think that sums it up pretty nicely.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106598/

This is an okay movie. I don't think it's bad or crazy enough for HDTGM. Remember the Red Hot Chili Peppers music video that was for this movie?

It's far from amazing, but it's actually not that bad. And weirdly relevant, given our current immigration debate.

• Like 1

this movie did give us an a capella version of a new-wave song as performed by dan aykroyd, which you can probably only say for maybe four or five other aykroyd movies, i would guess?

• Like 1

one of those didn't get better with time style right to cable tv movies. Nothing really to see here. wasn't really all that funny the first time. mind you maybe I was too old for this movie.

one of those didn't get better with time style right to cable tv movies.

Yeah, it's sad to see aykroyd desperately relying on 20 year old material. This and Blues Brothers 2000 were his last two shots, and he really screwed the pooch on both counts. We can only hope nobody gives him the chance to make a ghostbusters 3.

this movie did give us an a capella version of a new-wave song as performed by dan aykroyd, which you can probably only say for maybe four or five other aykroyd movies, i would guess?

Anyone remember Aykroyd (and Tom Hanks) rapping on the "Dragnet" soundtrack? It HAPPENED, and it happened out of the boom box on my 9-year-old shoulder in the summer of '87. Why don't I forget this shit?

Aykroyd was actually a rap early adopter. He put a lot of rap & hip-hop artists in his film soundtracks before it was such a commonplace thing.

This doesn't mean we should forgive him for the horrors he has perpetuated on us, but it's a fun fact.

Oh, I can't agree with that. Spies LIke Us is hilarious. That's top form Aykroyd and Chase.

• Like 1

We can only hope nobody gives him the chance to make a ghostbusters 3.

True, but it's a moot point because Ghostbusters 2 already happened. :blink: That was horrible enought. A third movie would just be a denoument of shittiness.

I agree that Coneheads wasn't great, but there's not enough craziness for a HDTGM ep. Plus, the image of Chris Farley sweating with those conehead sex rings on his head still makes me laugh to this day.

I imagine Ghostbusters 3 won't happen anyway because Bill Murray has already said it will be a cold day in hell and everyone knows he's the draw. Are they really going to make a movie with The Other Three?

I imagine Ghostbusters 3 won't happen anyway because Bill Murray has already said it will be a cold day in hell and everyone knows he's the draw. Are they really going to make a movie with The Other Three?

Maybe Ernie Hudson would actually make it on the poster this time!

What would a "Ghostbusters 3" prove at this point anyway? If it ever got made, it would come out, it would do whatever business it would do, and then what? Congratulations everyone, one less/more thing to complain about!

• Like 1

I answer your question with another: Did he make another Blues Brother movie without John Belushi?

I heard a some point that the old ghostbusters will be serving in (lesser) mentor roles to a new generation of ghostbusters. Either way, it's a hot mess that has been in Development Hell for a long time.

I answer your question with another: Did he make another Blues Brother movie without John Belushi?

Look at it this way - he could have replaced John Belushi with Jim Belushi. That really would have been the final insult.

I heard a some point that the old ghostbusters will be serving in (lesser) mentor roles to a new generation of ghostbusters. Either way, it's a hot mess that has been in Development Hell for a long time.

I personally think that if every idea pitched for "Ghostbusters 3" had been made into its own separate sequel, the franchise would rival "The Land Before Time" in number of movies made.

• Like 1

Look at it this way - he could have replaced John Belushi with Jim Belushi. That really would have been the final insult.

Good point, I feel like Jim Belushi started off as a growth on John's shoulder. Then, at some point, was surgically removed and set loose in the world.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this