🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GOZU

Spring Breakers

Full disclosure: I don't think this entirely qualifies as a bad movie. It's well shot, well acted (especially James Franco, this might be the best performance of his career...as a wannabe gangster rapper/drug dealer named Alien), has tons of clever visual gags (including a weird call back to the "Reindeer Games" whiskey gun, in that one of the girls literally has a squirt gun filled with whiskey) and has a lot to say about American excess that I think is dead-on.

However, "Spring Breakers" is 100% certifiably bonkers. Imagine if you combined "Drive" with "Piranha 3D" and took out all the fish. It's pretentious, full of Terrence Malick style voice-overs, random cutaways to topless beach girls having a really great time in slow motion (either to provide a counterpoint to the story's violence and grit or they just needed to fill some space), and just so weirdly put together the whole time you're not really convinced you're actually seeing what's happening in front of your eyes. So if you've ever wanted to see a Martin Scorcese-style montage of brutal violence set to Britney Spears, then this is the movie for you.

Wow, i wanted to see this movie before but your take on it makes me more eager to see it.

Honestly, I would be a lot more interested in this movie if it wasn't directed by Harmony Korine. Having seen his first film, "Gummo," and having heard about his other work and interviews he's given, he comes across as the kind of art school snob who thinks that disgusting an audience is better than entertaining or involving them, and if he can bore them at the same time, all the better.

• Like 5

Wanting to write about this movie moved me enough to get over the lurker-inertia and make an earwolf forum account after many months of being a listener. I verily agree with Gozu's characterization, but also sillstaw's comment about Korine trying to bore you is rather incisive (and I don't think you've seen it, right?). I would go so far as to say this movie is boring as shit. Hella repetitive too. But still, somehow, kind of worth seeing?

Another aspect of this flick that is categorically, ahem, bonkers, is the part where Selina Gomez's character Faith has a panic attack immediately upon being brought to a place with black people (who are conspicuously entirely absent up to this point in the movie). She literally says at one point "I don't know these people". lol.

But yea, James Franco is great. And I say that begrudgingly, as I've started to kinda hate him after wasting my time seeing his utter bullshit "art installations" at the MoMA. Oh, and Howl was awful too. And the fact that he got some professor fired for some bullshit. I guess this part lets him rock out his inner scumbag, which he's probably been trying (and mostly failing) to hide as he's become more famous.

Oh, also this movie has the ATL twins, who just play themselves (who you might think are caricatures of wigger drug dealers, but no, I'm pretty sure that's really how they are, look em up). And lots of hi-def slow-mo boobs on a very democratic range of body types. And lots of muscular dudes on a less democratic range of body times. Oh! and Gucci Mane conducts literally the slowest drive-by shooting in history, in a really fast car no less. You guys should really cover this flick. Or not! I'll keep listening <3 borehazey

i understood the point of this movie. but it shouldn't have been a fucking movie..i could've dealt with it being a short film maybe but seriously watching tits bounce up and down and hearing james franco's voice repeatedly saying "spring break....spring break foreva..." made me feel like i wanted to die in the theatre. three people walked out. i felt confused by the whole thing. it was a montage

omg yes please, this movie NEEDS to be done. I made an account just so that I can say this.

Everything everybody said, plus that last scene was mind numbingly stupid

it's not as bad as GOZU makes it sound like, to me it was more like Tony Scott's True Romance movie but with spring break type theme. i enjoyed this movie it was nothing like what I was thinking it was going to be and it sorta had gone way past my expectations. from looking at the cast list of this movie. this isn't really a HDTGM type of movie because it doesn't have any real star power other then James Franco, and Selena Gomez, I know her as that disney chick.

anyway, this was a good film if you are looking for a great little tony scott style movie your in for a treat.

this isn't really a HDTGM type of movie because it doesn't have any real star power other then James Franco, and Selena Gomez, I know her as that disney chick.

They've done plenty of movies with nary a bonafide star. Last Airbender, Sucker Punch, Skyline, Leprechaun in the Hood, The Room, Birdemic, Sleepaway Camp, etc. Even if star power was a necessity I think James Franco and Selena Gomez definitely qualify.

Honestly, I would be a lot more interested in this movie if it wasn't directed by Harmony Korine. Having seen his first film, "Gummo," and having heard about his other work and interviews he's given, he comes across as the kind of art school snob who thinks that disgusting an audience is better than entertaining or involving them, and if he can bore them at the same time, all the better.

This is spot on. Harmony is that guy. He doesn't care to make good movies, he only tries to make "gritty" or "real" movies as a "commentary" on american society, blah blah blah. Sorry for the quotes but that guy irks me and his movies are boring/depressing. If they were more subtle I think they would be a lot better, but he ham-fists every emotional angle to purposely make his audience uncomfortable.

Also, Franco = meh, and the ATL twins are the worst. The selling point of this movie is essentially, "hey remember those cute disney girls? Yeah, well check it out man, they're actually really serious actors who want to destroy that perception people have of them. So they picked this trashy movie and these horrible characters to showcase how much they have "grown up." riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

• Like 1

This is spot on. Harmony is that guy. He doesn't care to make good movies, he only tries to make "gritty" or "real" movies as a "commentary" on american society, blah blah blah. Sorry for the quotes but that guy irks me and his movies are boring/depressing. If they were more subtle I think they would be a lot better, but he ham-fists every emotional angle to purposely make his audience uncomfortable.

I also like that while he does that, he pulled an Apatow and put his wife in a main role within the film.

• Like 1

this isn't as crazy as Mister Lonely, you got a michael jackson impersonator, and flying nuns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybo2JQc2zM

My favorite part about this movie is Michael jackson impersonator never sings any of his songs in the movie because they can't afford any of the rights to his songs.

The only thing that bugged me about Spring break, was that the lifestyle of the girls not giving real hurt during spring break. I was really expecting something bad to happen. like what happens to most young woman who go off to such a thing and come back abused and needing hours of therapy before they even talk about it. lot of little nitpicky things you could point out but really there isn't anything in this movie to make fun of. don't even get me started about the guns not being reloaded and the fact that they didn't ever show anyone learning to shoot straight. I enjoyed this movie for what it was, Iam sorry you didn't.

God, I hate Gummo SO MUCH. I had friends that insisted I watch it because OMG IT WAS SO AMAZING and well, I am no longer friends with any of them.

Uuuugh, you're bumming me out because you're probably on point. I do like him as a person and as an artist, and I guess he's making "Art" and not movies or whatever. I think it's weird Spring Breakers even got a wide release; his last movie was

, for fuck's sake.

I have respect for creative people doing creative things. That said, the most interesting piece of art Harmony Korine has produced is still this Letterman interview from the mid-1990s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7nrhGQteas

• Like 2

God, I hate Gummo SO MUCH. I had friends that insisted I watch it because OMG IT WAS SO AMAZING and well, I am no longer friends with any of them.

Aw man, really? It's not that bad. I think some credit is due because he was only 24 when he wrote and directed that; I think that's pretty impressive. (I also think it's pretty impressive that my dog can roll over, on command, but maybe that's just me). I haven't watched it in years but there are images that stuck -- I think there are true moments of beauty in all of his films. That scene where the kid is eating spaghetti in the bath and his mom is washing his hair and there's a piece of bacon taped to the wall? That is pure poetry, honest to god.

Aw man, really? It's not that bad. I think some credit is due because he was only 24 when he wrote and directed that; I think that's pretty impressive. (I also think it's pretty impressive that my dog can roll over, on command, but maybe that's just me). I haven't watched it in years but there are images that stuck -- I think there are true moments of beauty in all of his films. That scene where the kid is eating spaghetti in the bath and his mom is washing his hair and there's a piece of bacon taped to the wall? That is pure poetry, honest to god.

I'm sure it's possible the movie contains some nice imagery, but it's a nasty piece of business that I will never subject myself to again in order to find out.

I never heard of Gummo tell today. but not sure if it's my cup of tea. I kinda liked Mister Lonely, it's very much a antidepressants type movie. by the end anyway. ohh btw it's on youtube right now.

Are you Werner Herzog?

• Like 1

Now your just being mean, Ryan. Werner Herzog is just a money grabing film maker out to take a buck out of anyone's pocket. he's steal candy from a baby if he could. Harmony Korine is just a bit of a nut job film maker. out to make crazy movies for the hell of it. may or maynot be to your liking but as the song say's different strokes for different folks.

wish I could find that david chappelle singing different strokes song..Got taken down of you tube. sorta sums up everything real well.

Do you not think Herzog isn't batshit insane? What I was talking about was an interview between the two directors where Herzog pointed out the bacon on the wall as art.

Werner Herzog is just a money grabing film maker out to take a buck out of anyone's pocket. he's steal candy from a baby if he could.

Whoa, that is a bold statement. I'll admit that Grizzly Man got a little exploitative at times, but that's the worst he's done; he's hardly Michael Moore gravely placing a framed photo of a dead girl on senile Charlton Heston's porch. If you're being sincere then I don't think we can be BFFs anymore. Herzog is far and away one of the best documentary filmmakers of all time, not to mention his fictional stuff like Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call: New Orleans.

Do you not think Herzog isn't batshit insane? What I was talking about was an interview between the two directors where Herzog pointed out the bacon on the wall as art.

Well, I agree with him, as I said earlier. I don't think he's "insane" at all, but quite eccentric and his creativity borders on genius. If you care to take the time, read Herzog on Herzog; shit, I'll even send you my dog-eared copy. He is a very, very smart and driven man. Crazy people don't spend their lives making over 60 films, some of which are very well regarded.

Crazy people don't spend their lives making over 60 films, some of which are very well regarded.

While not regarded, Uwe Boll spends his lives making movies and I think we can agree that he is certifiable.

sorry ryan I was thinking you where talking about Uwe Boll. I saw the name Werner Herzog and was thinking Uwe Boll. i've had a long long day, at the hospital.

btw I loved The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans

My bad, really stressed out right now not thinking clearly.

Sign in to follow this