🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
NeilMiddleton

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)

It's the movie that caused Sean Connery to quit acting for good. Amazingly bad hodgepodge of fictional characters cruising around in a "stealth" ship roughly 2 miles long to save the world from who cares.

It's essentially an English Lit major's version of "The Avengers".

• Like 2

I can't second this enough. It's got too many WTF moments to recap here and it had a massive production budget with plenty of insane anecdotes between Connery and the director.

• Like 1

I'm still disappointed this hasn't been done yet. It has to have the most plot holes in history for a major motion picture and it is also the most angry I have ever gotten watching a movie in my life. It was just so frustrating to watch a movie that completely doesn't believe in physics or reality on even a basic level. It just doesn't make any sense arghggh

I know this whole thread is turning into just me talking to myself, but goddamn it this movie needs to get done. Anyways, they're rebooting it instead of making it into a TV show, so it's relevant enough again for me to bump this.

http://comicbook.com...t-in-the-works/

The dialogue in TLOEOG makes Conan in New York look like Pulp Fiction and what other movie has a 200 foot, nuclear powered submarine emerging from the Venice canals in the 1800s?

Was watching Penny Dreadful today and it just made me think about this movie and how much of a bummer it is they botched it so badly.

With a better story and dialogue this movie had the potential to be awesome.

I do however think they did a great job on the make up/ effects for Mr. Hyde, and the design for the Nautlius and the matching car were pretty outstanding too.

• Like 1

Was watching Penny Dreadful today and it just made me think about this movie and how much of a bummer it is they botched it so badly.

It's funny, because by episode 3 I was thinking, "They really should've just adapted 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.'"

• Like 1

As a huge fan of the original comic books, this adaptation can go straight to hell. The HDTGM crew should absolutely skewer this film.

• Like 1

This is probably a good time to do this The Mummy is coming out soon which is part of Universals trying to create their own shared universe of public domain monsters from what I've heard the set up for the series borrows heavily on the League of Extraordinary Gentleman.

Yes please! As mentioned before, the Hyde make-up is insanely good, and that's about it. It's surely a downer like The Last Airbender or Battlefield Earth in terms of how boring it is. But Jason would make a meal out of this plot!

Anyone who has seen this film, is it worth watching? Or is it The Last Airbender level bland?

Its a mixed bag. It's really not a good movie, the plot is crazy and filled with so many holes it really does feel like 2 or 3 scripts pasted together haphazardly. And the dialogue is filled with very hacky jokes.

That being said, there are some fantastic practical special effects and make up work for Jekyll/Hyde that are worth seeing if that aspect of film making interests you. It also serves the distinction of being Sean Connery's last role on film. I'd almost suggest it on that alone, if only to witness the role that made more than likely made him flee from Hollywood.

Anyone who has seen this film, is it worth watching? Or is it The Last Airbender level bland?

If you like the comic, or the actors involved, or are a fan of steampunk or Victorian literature in general, it's worth watching once just to see it. Especially keeping expectations to rock bottom.

I'd say it's certainly worth watching. Just be prepared for lots of cringing.

I recall liking Peta Wilson as Mina Harker and generally preferring her to Kate Beckinsdale in Underworld. But she seems to be out in daylight an awful lot without any explanation.

Speaking of which, there's a pretty gruesome sequence in the the second volume of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where Mr. Hyde rapes the Invisible Man to death.

Yeah, the second volume is where Moore really Moores all over it.

I'd say it's certainly worth watching. Just be prepared for lots of cringing.

I recall liking Peta Wilson as Mina Harker and generally preferring her to Kate Beckinsdale in Underworld.

For years I thought Kate Beckinsale was in this movie it was only when I rewatched it like a month ago that I realised it wasn't her.

• Like 1

I just listened to all 215 episodes of HDTGM over the course of the last couple months and this is the one movie that really stood out to me as missing from the show. It is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen and is perfectly suited to HDTGM. 

Also, on a side note, I am currently working with the man who wrote this movie and every day I try to get up the nerve to ask him about it. I just don’t know how to broach the subject honestly without risk of offense. 

Anyway, yeah, they for-real need to do this movie!!

On 6/19/2019 at 7:38 PM, Jedibugs said:

Also, on a side note, I am currently working with the man who wrote this movie and every day I try to get up the nerve to ask him about it. I just don’t know how to broach the subject honestly without risk of offense. 

Anyway, yeah, they for-real need to do this movie!!

Did you ever ask him about it? It really should be done by HDTGM, it is on Hulu through the end of June 2020 so get in there and watch it before it disappears. So much chaos behind the scenes and what looks like unfinished CGI and just a movie jamming as many characters as possible into two hours, which caused Sean Connery to retire. So unfortunate all around. Could have been fun if done correctly. 

I have listened to this Podcast since episode number 1.  In fact, I even remember when it was announced and had to look up who Jason was. Since literally before this podcast even aired, I have been calling for the movie that ended Sean Connery's career to be featured on the Podcast. Please, in loving memory, it's time to do this movie! 

1 hour ago, Snake said:

I have listened to this Podcast since episode number 1.  In fact, I even remember when it was announced and had to look up who Jason was. Since literally before this podcast even aired, I have been calling for the movie that ended Sean Connery's career to be featured on the Podcast. Please, in loving memory, it's time to do this movie! 

And considering that this was Connery's final live action film role and the fact that he chose this over doing LOTR, which cost him nearly half a billion dollars given the offer that was made to him.

Clearly this movie needs to be covered on its own merits, its either the perfect time to do it to remember Sean Connery or its in terrible taste so it should be delayed, I have no idea which one is correct.

I do think this is the type of movie that would be great for a live show with an audience, so maybe they are waiting for that. It would be a good one to do as another live virtual show, plenty of WTF moments to talk about, plenty of wild clips to show, easy to talk about for a couple hours.

It is available on Amazon Prime right now, so I recommend you watch it if you haven't seen it

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 5:36 AM, CNU2007 said:

It is available on Amazon Prime right now, so I recommend you watch it if you haven't seen it

I did just that, and I have to say that movie is abysmally entertaining in that wearing-an-old-comfy-sneaker-from-the-1990's way.

• Like 1

Given the fact that the show is talking about books and comics more in mini-eps, I would love for Paul and Jason to discuss the LoEG books that came after the first three which were published by a DC imprint, and became utterly batshit insane that features a psychotic James Bond, Harry Potter as the anti-christ who fires lightning from his dick, and so much more.

Watched Queen of the Damned recently and it made me think about this movie and Stuart Townsend in particular. It's pretty hilarious how obvious that they hired him and basically just told him to do a repeat of his performance as Lestat for his Dorian Grey role. He's so absurdly over the top, he's easily one of the more entertaining characters in the movie. 

He almost matches Richard Roxburgh in Van Helsing levels of camp in this movie.