🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 120 — All American

Andrew Ti & this week’s guest Milana Vayntrub explore the possible racism in the phrase “all american.” Leave us a message at (323) 389-RACE.

This is a repeat question, but yes, the phrase "All-American" refers to white women/men. No one is referring to Grace Park as an "All-American girl".

I think this kinda relates to a previous week's question where they asked if it's racist to say you're only attracted to or only ever date your own race. Which, I think is racist, because you should be open to dating people for who they are on the inside, not what society and your racist grandpa tells you is attractive. Like they said on that episode, if Beyonce wanted to date you, would you really say no?

So, honestly, I think the most racist this about his friend is that he basically, openly admits that his dream girl is a white girl. His soul mate might be a whole different race and he might never find out.

When we hear the phrase "All American" we know what people are refering to, a white person probably with blonde hair. The problem is, if that is "All American" what the heck are the black people that have been here almost just as long? This question was similar to "Girl next door" and there are parallels between the answers. In any case we should just stop using stupid terms from the 50's ;]

• Like 1

The phrase "All American" comes from college and high school sports, especially football. Applied to girls then it's like the head cheerleader/quarterback's girlfriend. And since it's from the 50s and earlier before widespread racial integration in schools, it came to mean athletic blonde kids from Ohio or wherever.

Sign in to follow this