🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DanEngler

Ravenous (1999)

This isn't a bad movie, per se — I actually think it's fantastic — but it's astonishing how few people have even heard of a Donner Party-inspired period horror film starring that guy from Memento, that guy from Trainspotting, that guy from Minority Report, that guy from LOST, the principal from Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and David Fucking Arquette.

It's on Amazon Instant Streaming (for $2.99) and appears to be available on Netflix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO98NMMgp0Y

• Like 1

Also worth noting that Damon Albarn of Blur/Gorillaz did the soundtrack. I was a big Blur fan back in the day, and that was the only reason I knew this existed at the time.

I still laugh at the giant beartrap scene at the end.

Keeping in mind I dislike 'gore' films but I also thought this was a fantastic movie and I bought the DVD as well. Somehow they made this thing work.

BRUTAL to watch but so bizarre and it has to be some kind of cult-classic. Crazy movie - but not a bad movie. A great movie maybe.

Having just rewatched this movie, I completely forgot that this movie is more of a black comedy than a horror, added more so by the insane soundtrack. As the priest is running away from the main killer there is a upbeat banjo soundtrack to the chase scene. And that the movie opens with a quote from Nietzsche followed by an anonymous quote of "eat me."

I love this movie! Guy Pearce is (as always) amazing and Robert Carlyle is (as always) fantastically psychotic, and the whole movie is just a weird blend of thriller/horror/black comedy/historic drama that should never work but, somehow, works very effectively. Also, Jeremy Davies absolutely kills the line "HE WAS LICKING ME!"

I really dig this movie. It's certainly not for everyone, especially if you're not a gorehound, like me. It's got some great performances, direction and one of the strangest albeit memorable soundtracks I've ever heard...

This movie was years ahead of its time. I think were this to have been released more recently it would have been significantly better received.

• Like 1

This movie was years ahead of its time. I think were this to have been released more recently it would have been significantly better received.

This definitely falls in the category of aging better over time. With horror movies today that are blending comedy or irony in along with their gore, this would have fared a lot better than when it came out. To me it's like Last Action Hero which failed to land when it came out, and led to a massive overhaul at Sony, but over the years has been better regarded in concern to how it dealt with tropes in action movies and Arnold movies in particular.

Last Action Hero is such a fantastic film. Charles Dance in all his glory aside, it was a pretty sharply written movie in how accurately it called out the bullshit tropes of many of the action movies released in the same era.

And this is going to sound terrible, because it is. But even as a kid, I fucking hated the actor they had playing the kid in the movie. I already know how insanely unfair a statement this is, but I cant help but think the movie would have done better had they gotten someone with a bit more charisma than him.

Last Action Hero is such a fantastic film. Charles Dance in all his glory aside, it was a pretty sharply written movie in how accurately it called out the bullshit tropes of many of the action movies released in the same era.

And this is going to sound terrible, because it is. But even as a kid, I fucking hated the actor they had playing the kid in the movie. I already know how insanely unfair a statement this is, but I cant help but think the movie would have done better had they gotten someone with a bit more charisma than him.

Charles Dance ruled that movie so fucking hard as Benedict. The 4th wall breaking monologue where he figures he would be God if God was a villain is so much proof that he knew the type of movie he was in and just decided to act the shit out of the material.

• Like 1

Its fucking criminal that neither this or his equally glorious performance as Sardo Numspa in the Golden Child launched him to greater acclaim here in the states.

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that one of the most three dimensional and fantastic action movie villains is just a parody of lesser villains in other action movies. The character was just perfect from head to toe and I can't imagine anyone besides Dance in the role.

Sign in to follow this