🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 7 — Zach Galifianakis

Zach Galifianakis might be one of the most relaxed performers onstage and is definitely Jeff’s favorite comedian. Zach explains how he bombs more in real life conversations, talks about his relationship with his brother, and tells us the different ways his wife busts his chops. Zach & Jeff also chat about shampoo, bumper stickers, and the positives/negatives of the advancement of technology. It’s the kind of conversation that made Jeff actually rip a chair from laughter.

Jesus Christ Zach is funny. 15 minutes in and I had to shelve this episode until I wasn't in public.

those Jeff Garlin anecdotes.. oh boy

No offense, but why do you keep listening? You made it clear last week you don't like Jeff Garlin.

If it's because you like the guests, there are plenty of other shows where you can hear Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis interviewed.

No reason to keep lisening to a show hosted by someone you clearly don't like.

Part of me secretly hopes the guy trolling Jeff Garlin on here is Larry David in disguise.

In my head Larry is wearing a full-on disguise in his home, and using port forwarding/proxy servers to make throwaway account on EarWolf just to try this "trolling" thing everyone keeps talking about.

This was a good episode though, Zach has great delivery even in conversation.

"Oh, okay. So I can see you keeping it as an office or something."

"...My house?"

No word of a lie, that exchange made me laugh for about ten minutes straight.

Spectacular episode.

Jesus Christ Zach is funny. 15 minutes in and I had to shelve this episode until I wasn't in public.

I was running while listening to the first ~1/2 of this, and I fucking lost it at the 1-800-EAT-SHIT story. I think Zach makes me consistently laugh hard more than anyone other than maybe PFT.

Maybe the "Dad farted" bumper sticker was bought by a whimsical adult who drives their elderly father around.

I don't know if it was intentional or not (I'm guessing it was), but it was kind of amazing that the Audacity promo where Jeff gets a phone call in the middle was cut into the show right when Jeff was talking about not liking to be reachable by cell phone at all times.

• Like 1

No offense, but why do you keep listening? You made it clear last week you don't like Jeff Garlin.

If it's because you like the guests, there are plenty of other shows where you can hear Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis interviewed.

No reason to keep lisening to a show hosted by someone you clearly don't like.

I think it's possible to like some things about a guy, but also have a problem with other things. I think Jeff asks some great questions and I like how he explores some topics that the interviewees gloss over, but I hate how he steps on people's stories to get his bits out. It comes off as kind of disrespectful, even though I know he only has the utmost respect for these people. I listen to CBB, HDTGM, I4H, and a lot of other comedy podcasts, and sure there are times where everyone wants to get a joke out at the same time and someone loses, but this is a less relaxed format; It's an interview. So, it can get kind of grating when this important interviewee gets their stories stepped on, and sometimes can't even get them out. I think most comedians don't mind because they are used to it, but the Rollins interview killed me. He was being so patient and just getting story after story stepped on. But with big names like Conan, Zach, Rollins, & Will Ferrell, yes I will listen, even if it is a host I don't completely love, because you never know what gems they are going to say, and some of them, you don't hear interviewed too often.

The show title includes the word "conversation", which I'm almost sure was done to make it clear that it's NOT meant to be a proper interview, thus giving him a little more leeway for the sort of thing you're talking about.

• Like 1

The show title includes the word "conversation", which I'm almost sure was done to make it clear that it's NOT meant to be a proper interview, thus giving him a little more leeway for the sort of thing you're talking about.

Oh yeah, I totally understand that. It just still irks me at times. I have no problem with Jeff talking about himself, telling stories or jokes, and I usually enjoy it. It's just when a guest begins to get into what sounds to be a good anecdote, gets cut off, and then they either don't get back to it or lose their momentum, just takes away from it a little bit for me.

I haven't listened to the Rollins episode yet, so maybe I'm giving Jeff too much credit; I agree that he does what you're saying, and it can be annoying at times, but I don't mind it too much, and I don't think he's necessarily more guilty of it than other host of quasi-interview-based podcasts. I can definitely see how someone's tolerance for that is directly proportional to how much they actually like the host (as opposed to just listening for the guests).

I haven't listened to the Rollins episode yet, so maybe I'm giving Jeff too much credit; I agree that he does what you're saying, and it can be annoying at times, but I don't mind it too much, and I don't think he's necessarily more guilty of it than other host of quasi-interview-based podcasts. I can definitely see how someone's tolerance for that is directly proportional to how much they actually like the host (as opposed to just listening for the guests).

Agreed! I think it just boils down to that I really respect Henry Rollins, and I like to hear him talk, but I guess if I want it completely uninterupted, there are dozens of spoken-word albums I can listen to. :D

I think it's possible to like some things about a guy, but also have a problem with other things. I think Jeff asks some great questions and I like how he explores some topics that the interviewees gloss over, but I hate how he steps on people's stories to get his bits out. It comes off as kind of disrespectful, even though I know he only has the utmost respect for these people. I listen to CBB, HDTGM, I4H, and a lot of other comedy podcasts, and sure there are times where everyone wants to get a joke out at the same time and someone loses, but this is a less relaxed format; It's an interview. So, it can get kind of grating when this important interviewee gets their stories stepped on, and sometimes can't even get them out. I think most comedians don't mind because they are used to it, but the Rollins interview killed me. He was being so patient and just getting story after story stepped on. But with big names like Conan, Zach, Rollins, & Will Ferrell, yes I will listen, even if it is a host I don't completely love, because you never know what gems they are going to say, and some of them, you don't hear interviewed too often.

I think you laid out many logical and fair problems you have with the podcast. They are a far cry from what the person I complained about had posted, which was:

altemail19er:those Jeff Garlin anecdotes.. oh boy

I see nothing constructive in that post at all.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this